Thread: Buying games: new vs used

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Buying games: new vs used

Many of us buy our share of new and used games, and there are various reasons as to why you would choose to buy under either condition.

I came across an old thread on giant bomb where the OP said they felt bad buying used because they wanted to support the developer, and they felt more inclined to buy DLC because of it. Another user said "I have this odd thing about wanting to be the only person to have ever owned a specific copy".

Of course, the arguments for used buying are numerous. Convenience, affordability, the game being out of stock or no longer sold retail at all.

What makes you decide when you should buy something new or used? Have you ever not bought used in fear that the "day one edition" codes or whatever may have already been downloaded?

thread: https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/gen...games-1429086/

I buy almost exclusively digital copies of games where there's no decision to make.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Games that I'm really looking forward to on launch I always buy new. Things I just sort of take a chance on I might buy used.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

There is a host of reasons why I would choose one over the other. For the most part lately, I've been delving back into retro gaming so used is pretty much the only way to go in that case, but as a collector, I won't skimp on expenses (within reason) and will sometimes pay more to make sure I have the original case/booklet if available. With that said, I'm always looking for bargains cause this is an expensive hobby.

If I'm very much interested in the title from the onset, I'll usually buy it new. If I'm only sort of interested or heard enough bad PR about it, I'll pick it up used. I'm generally not interested in DLC so I will rarely buy it and usually hold out for a "special edition" that throws it all in. With that said, I do tend to buy new if the game is made by a company I want to succeed or if the game in question is something I want to succeed. I currently wish to purchase the Secret of Mana Remake and Romancing SaGa 2 ports but sadly I'm in one of my broke periods so I can't spend frivolously, but I want to support these two games cause I enjoy the franchises and I wish to use my money to tell SE that I care about them, so I am holding off buying one of them so I can buy it new. If I'm lucky, they may get a price drop in the meantime and I can snag both while still supporting them.

Another factor is just my financial situation at the time. I'm not opposed to buying things used if that's all I can afford, but I will also say it has to be worth my while. There are times when places like GameStop will gauge their own prices and you'll find that the used copy of the game is only a few dollars less than the full retail priced one, in which case I'll jump to the full retail that has low risk of damages.

Since the majority of my games are used, I don't generally fret about losing out on special things like limited time Day One content, which I frankly feel is bulltrout and should not be supported ever, or in the case of some older titles, limited edition special demos or accompany OSTs that came with the game, though these make me more sad to miss out on. I'm still sad my copy of Tobal No. 1 didn't come with it's Squaresoft Demo but that's what happens when you buy it used. So I take the consequences in stride when I can.

If I can buy it used, I will. It's significantly cheaper with no real drop in quality, and for many older console games used is the only option left. I don't mind waiting a few months to play something if I can pay half of what it would have cost brand new, and I'm not interested in wasting extra money on DLC. The games I buy new generally tend to be steam games where used just isn't an option.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Obviously for retro games, I buy used. I’m not going to shell out a fortune or a sealed retro game that I’m going to open and play anyways.

For newer games though, I tend to buy new. I have Best Buy’s gamers club so I get 20% off new games. I feel like it’s often cheaper than to go buy a used game somewhere. If I kind of still want a game but hear enough bad press on it. I’ll wait for it to drop in price because it’ll probably do that quickly. I have no problem buying used if it’s significantly cheaper or the only way I can find a game though.

I usually buy new when I can, even older digital titles on Steam and GOG. The only time I'll buy used over new is if the version of the game being sold new is worse than another version of the same game that I can only get used.

FFXIV Character

Arianna Harkness (Sargatanas)

Recently, all my game purchases have been digital. But it depends. For older games, used is fine. If it's one of those games that comes with codes or something like that, I'll spring for a new copy.

I'm one of the support the developer types. When I can afford it I will buy games I have no intention of playing just because I'm happy they exist. I won't skimp on a bargain when available, but will usually buy new if it's something I really want. If it is an impulse buy or its really old I usually go used. Or if it's an EA or Activision or WB game, I will happily go used and not support those particular companies, among others. And for digital I will go so far as to use G2A for those as well