Thread: Rivalry? What Rivalry?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Pink Grin Rivalry? What Rivalry?

Console wars, mascot wars, franchise wars? Let's be honest, it's all silly nonsense that some gamers dive into despite all their efforts are simply denying themselves some great games/consoles to play on. So what are some rivalries you were fortunate enough to take the high road and play both sides of the "conflict"?

All of them. But that doesn't mean there aren't some "rivalries" in which one side is in reality much, much better than the other.

Playstation and Nintendo 64, Playstation 2 and Gamecube, Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 and I only bought a Playstation 4 since I had kids since the last generation release plus I've always been a fan of Playstation, grew up on Nintendo as well. I'm not too fond of the Xbox line, I love a Microsoft PC gaming system for specific games (mostly RTS and MMO).

Don't get me wrong, if it was a legitimate war where we fought and died for; I would be a True Neutral son of a whore and wouldn't pick a side. I won't shun a controller if a fellow gamer asked me to play with however.
    - I'm getting sick of this! Thou art such a pain in the...! Confound it all! I'm starting to talk like you! - Sabin (FFVI)

- Shut up! You spoony Bard! - Tella (FFIV)

FFXIV Character

Bartholomew Drizzle (Exodus)

Ehhh it's not just about brand loyalty or denying myself the right--- I personally hate the 360 because it was awful for fighting games but since it was the dominant console in my area, everyone I knew played their fighters on one. I gre to hate that d-pad and the xbox name so very damn much. But the time I had the money for it, I got myself a PS3 and played my fighters online instead. It also helped I didn't approve of the subscription-based online, which in the end encouraged Sony to charge for PS Plus online on the current gen as well.
    For better or worse, to be a fan of Final Fantasy is to witness history in the making.

I never bought into any rivalry. My loyalty to PlayStation has been purely financial. I can't afford to buy every system because it may have a couple games I'm interested in playing. I have about 30 games for one, I had about 100 for PS2 until I sold roughly half of them to fund my trip to Canada back in '09. My parents did get me a Wii and an Xbox for my birthday, both from thrift shops. I've only played Star Wars and Fable on Xbox so far and almost nothing interesting on the Wii. I recently picked up Epic Mickey, so I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy that one.

I think I still have a 64 boxed up somewhere too (it's been a while). I had to buy a traditional controller since I couldn't stand the 64's design and layout.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I got stuck into the Xbox 360 vs PS3 debate a little bit on EoFF, as it was fun to wind up a certain member who is no longer active but was very vocal about Sony's superiority. I do own and like both consoles though, so. I also got stuck into PS1 vs N64 on the side of Sony while I was in primary school but again I picked up an N64 a couple of years later.

Other than that, I've never really got involved and I'm at the point now where I don't especially care and I guess it's because I've owned consoles from all of the current big three. I've gone back to the PS4 over the Xbox One and I really like it, but I'm sure I'd enjoy the latter if I had one instead.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I never really bought into the rivalries. As a kid, I was fortunate enough to have most of the consoles. I don’t remember any other kids bringing up the rivalries on the playground or anything either. As I grew older, I did become more of a Sony guy because that was where the jrpgs I wanted to play was on, but I still always got Nintendo’s systems. Xbox is weird for me as they are the only systems I’ve sold because I didn’t play them enough.... but I usually regretted it and ended up buying again because of suddenly being in the mood to play some Halo or Lost Odyssey or whatever else I played.

I remember a little bit of the whole classic Nintendo vs Sega war, but I stopped and realized that the whole "fight " over consoles was stupid when I got a SNES a few years later.