Thread: Least Fanciful Characters

Default Least Fanciful Characters

Just what it says on the tin. Obviously most characters from the NES generation are over-the-top fantasy. Locke from VI is probably the least fantasy-oriented. And then there's IX.

VII, VIII, XIII, and XV pretty much have entirely modernized characters. I'm not sure where to put XII and Type-0.

Out of X and X-2... I don't know, the main characters are islanders in a revitalized PA world. To me, Paine is the only non-fanciful character.

As to that, what is your preference? Should Squenix keep on with their trend of post-modernized, futuristic, omnipunk setting? Or do you want the dragons and griffins to be fought by actual armor-clad dragoons and knights? And kings clad in purple and blue with red capes...
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Don't mind as longs as the characters are good. I wouldn't usually go for medieval but Zidane, Garnet, Vivi, Freya etc are all good characters.

Any character that uses modern technology i.e guns. Wakka too I guess, I mean how many fantasy characters do you know that use balls as weapons?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The VIII and XV casts all look like people you could meet on the street. Some characters from VII and XIII as well but not quite as bad as those particular games.

I don't really get what you mean by "fanciful" or how that word is even remotely related to traditional fantasy settings vs "modern" settings.

Red XIII is a "modernized" character but Cid from FFIV isn't? I just really have no idea what distinction you are after exactly.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I ultimately like the modern looking Final Fantasies the best in terms of looks and the overall feel, but the thing is, those games have always been pretty good at mixing things, to me. The cast of Final Fantasy VIII look the most realistic out of the games I've played, and the second would probably be Final Fantasy X, yet both of them manage to mix in some fantasy elements (with the latter even allowing one of your characters to be an obvious non-human or even humanoid character). Final Fantasy VII has hints of this too, but the overall look of the game may make it seem more fantasy, but I've seen promotional material say that it's a storyline where science and magic collide, so that in itself gives the impression that it's supposed to be, in places, a modernised game, with a fantasy element.

So basically, I like it when the game is a modern looking world, but with imagination to it. The characters can look like they are grounded in reality to some extent, but there can still be fantasy stuff around them, and even they could have a fantasy element to them. The cast of FFVIII all look human, but they still have a "fantasy" element to them in a sense, as they are capable of supernatural skills, that aren't explained (some of their limit breaks) and at least two of them use a weapon that doesn't exist. The same goes with Wakka in Final Fantasy X, as previously mentioned, using a ball as a weapon isn't really part of any other fantasy scenario, but the creator used their imagination to do something the series hadn't done before, so it's "fantasy" in a way.

Pretty much everyone in the party in Final Fantasy XV outside of Noctis. They were all just sort of bland for the series.
    Last edited by BoomShakaLocke; 04-10-2018 at 03:40 AM.
    On the search for amazing dad jokes

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

More armor and more dragoons. Less Guns and motorbikes.