Thread: The Ending ( spoilers )

Default The Ending ( spoilers )

Did anybody else cringe when Noctis struggled to tell his friends that he loved them by the campfire ? Just tell them that you love them. It should be okay for males in this day and age that they love their friends ? Yet I swear in Japanese version, I swear that he does tell them this. So why change it ? Maybe I'm just being a harsh bitch, but it's not like Noctis had any "Squall issues " with expressing his feelings and emotions so it just comes off as........ outdated.

Tell your friends that you love them dammit, especially if they could die tomorrow.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

It's a *~male thing~*. I know, I know. Let me give you my perspective on it.

Throughout my childhood emotion was seen as weakness, especially among peers. I remember I had a falling out with a friend when I was 7 or 8, and I cried, and my entire class gave me trout for it. You can bet your ass I never cried at school again, and I bet I joined in on making fun of other boys when they cried.

As a teen the nuclear weapon of insults was to call people gay and if you were called gay you had to desperately deny it. If you express any feeling towards a male friend, welp, you're gay and thus terrible. I can't imagine how awful it must've been for anyone who was actually gay and had to keep it secret because it was literally seen as the worst thing in the world.

Now, look, I'm an adult know. I know that's all bollocks. I know it's perfectly okay to tell male friends and other people that I love them. But, I'm hardwired not to. It feels wrong. I find it really hard to tell people I care about them or to ask for help. I can do it (I love you all, Eyes on FF, I really do) but it doesn't come naturally to me. It's a problem many, many men have, that culture of GOTTA BE TOUGH, GOTTA BE A MAN, that we grew up in.

So, FFXV. FFXV is a male story, which I know people didn't like because of male over representation in video games and on a surface level I agree and understand. However, I think this scene was a really important one to men because this type of thing, males expressing emotion towards other men other than rage, sure as trout isn't represented in video games. I related so hard to Noctis at that point. "It's more than I can take"? I felt that. I really, really felt it. His friends understood and so did I.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I didn't even really see it as "male" thing.

I thought he was struggling to say it because he knew it was the end, yet at the same time he was trying to be strong for his friends he was pretty much taking into the abyss, and saying it out loud would very much cement that fact. Kind of feeling the gravity of the burden, if you will.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

As a guy, I saw it as a guy thing too. I agree with Psy. I know it's okay, and I can casually tell guys I love them. But in a big serious speech? No way, man, that's awkward and weird. It's not wrong or bad but definitely still awkward and weird to do.

Get a drink in me and I'm all good though!
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just because you say it doesn’t mean it’s as easy a thing to do die to how boys are brought up and societal expectations of masculinity

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Exactly that.

For what it's worth, it's similar with telling girls you love them in a serious without them getting the wrong idea, even if you lace it with as much "as a friend" stuff as you can layer on.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I honestly felt like it was the best part of the whole ending sequences. I feel others have said what I would.