View Poll Results: Thoughts ?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nay ! Thou Final Fantasy is hath passed away !

2 16.67%
  • Yes ! Thou Final Fantasy liveth !!!!

10 83.33%
  • I have no opinion on the matter

1 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy isn't dead

Default Final Fantasy isn't dead

Final Fantasy isn't dead, it's just..... different now.

This may sound like a no-brainer, but whether or not a FF is 'bad' is always subjective. There really hasn't really been a bad FF.....yet. Okay, well a mainline one. ( All The Bravest ).

Agree/ Disagree ?

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

As a single player console title it's far from dead, but it's not the industry topping titan that it was in the PSone era. For point of reference, VII and VIII were the 2nd and 4th best selling PSone games, FFXV sits at 18 in the PS4 charts at the moment with a similar number of sales to FFXIII. It's still a very profitable brand and their forays into the MMO and mobile markets (All The Bravest notwithstanding), while not beloved of many on EoFF, have been pretty successful.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, it’s pretty much alive and kicking. The competition is just much bigger, is all

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Financially speaking, FF is still a strong brand and is nowhere near from being described as "dead" by the company or industry. It's far from being literally dead, figuratively speaking though, the series that many of us grew up on is pretty much no more and anyone expecting Squenix to pump out a game on par with their definition of the good old days will likely be forever disappointed due to a combination of major shifts within the company both through personnel and ideology, as well as nostalgia and time being a real bitch to memory and perception.

The closest I can attribute to the idea the series is dead, is something Psy brings up about the series falling from grace in terms of popularity. I mean it's still one of the biggest RPG franchises, but it's not the system selling and hotly anticipated behemoth it was in the PlayStation 1 and 2 eras. It's kind of turned into a bit of joke with the franchise often teased about it's incoherent plots, bad hairstyles and fashion, and the fact it's one of the few Triple AAA franchises that can't seem to muster up a new numbered entry without a decade brewing in development hell or just being released as an obvious beta. The spin-offs are not bad, but largely rely on nostalgia to sell, and it's a bit sad that the most high profile entry on the companies docket after releasing the financially successful FFXV is a remake of a twenty year old game as opposed to fans and contemporaries wondering what XVI is going to be like.

The heydays of the company from the late 90s and early 00s is pretty much gone, and I don't really believe the franchise will ever reclaim that crown due to the changes within the company and the rise of competent competition for the genre. I mean FF is going to still be popular and will likely still be spewing out sequels long after I'm physically dead, but I would be pleasantly surprised if the company ever reclaims it's former glory with the way they've been handling things since the PS2 era.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think we also need to factor in the fact that we’re all pretty no longer the target audience for these games

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

The old FF can't come to the phone right now. Why? Cause it's dead.

Old FF is dead, long gone and dead.

New FF is still kicking and making moolah.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I think we also need to factor in the fact that we’re all pretty no longer the target audience for these games
    Which is a poor business decision, we are the age demographic that are buying it as we are still loyal to the brand. Go on an FF subreddit or to an FF concert and you tell me what age group you see there. Or go to a nerdy store and see what age group is looking at FF merch. Spoiler: It's them dang millennials.

Their intended target audience is more interested in Fortnite, CoD, FNAF, Minecraft, etc. Generation Z are growing up in the era of online console multiplayer and streaming. FF does not lend itself to either of those well.

Final Fantasy is dead.

...LONG LIVE FINAL FANTASY.

No seriously though I'm in the minority in that I think it's *actually* dead. Like they ain't gonna make 'em anymore dead. Otherwise I agree with Freya - it has morphed into something unrecognisable. It's kinda like if your friend becomes a zombie. They're not quite *dead*, per se, but the original person isn't in there anymore.

The competition is just much bigger, is all
    Hardly. Most big name non-Square JRPGs i.e Breath of Fire and Suikoden have been dead for years, the only ones left that pose any actual threat are Persona and Xenoblade. Tales is still around but too niche to compete with Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

it isn't but maybe it should be.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Example View Post
    The competition is just much bigger, is all
    Hardly. Most big name non-Square JRPGs i.e Breath of Fire and Suikoden have been dead for years, the only ones left that pose any actual threat are Persona and Xenoblade. Tales is still around but too niche to compete with Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts.
    But they don’t just try to compete with RPGs anymore. Not to mentionJRPGs are no longer one of the biggest genres in the industry. The focus has shifted

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Which is a poor business decision, we are the age demographic that are buying it as we are still loyal to the brand. Go on an FF subreddit or to an FF concert and you tell me what age group you see there. Or go to a nerdy store and see what age group is looking at FF merch. Spoiler: It's them dang millennials.

Their intended target audience is more interested in Fortnite, CoD, FNAF, Minecraft, etc. Generation Z are growing up in the era of online console multiplayer and streaming. FF does not lend itself to either of those well.
    Personal Opinion: They're targeting both demographics. They're putting in as much as possible to keep that Final Fantasy feel for us older folk while still changing the genre to adapt to a new audience so that FF doesn't rely 100% on a bunch of people that will, eventually, phase out of any real importance to the gaming industry.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I think the ridiculous dev times are what has really hurt this series to be honest. While they were working on their games so many other series were able to come in and take their spotlight.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I agree massively with that. I can't think of many who would disagree. Most other popular series put out a game every 2-3 years at a guesstimate. I guess there is Elder Scrolls that is a comparison point for a series that can take a long time between games but is still a high performer, mind you. They also do that thing that FF does lately where they put out multiple ports/remakes.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

I still say the only game you can really point at when you say "long dev times" is Versus XIII, which in the end was vaporware anyway. XV was available 3 years after announcement, World of Final Fantasy..I actually don't know but that can't have been more than 1-2 years either. XIV churns out a top-notch expansion every 2 years.

You could make an argument that the mainline entries are too far apart now, but who knows, maybe they'll get that back on track with XVI. If they bother making it.