Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy VIII is Trash

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    WTF ? Final Fantasy VIII is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    the only people who hate this game are those who fail to realize how it all fits together with the sorceresses and time travel and how rinoa really is ultimecia in the future

it's the greatest plot twist in the history of video games and it says a lot about the intellectual capacity of the fan base when so few understand this simple fact
    SE said that it wasn't true. So you have just shot yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    It’s way better than VII, that’s for sure
    At least the orphanage plot twist sort of makes sense, the big materia sidequest makes no sense at all. Reasons you have already explained ( about last year ?)
    The orphanage twist almost ruined Squall's character for me, him going full emo for having the exact same experience as everyone else made it harder for me to sympathize with or relate to him. The big materia sidequest was dumb and unnecessary but it didn't drag down other parts of the game.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    WTF ? Final Fantasy VIII is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    the only people who hate this game are those who fail to realize how it all fits together with the sorceresses and time travel and how rinoa really is ultimecia in the future

it's the greatest plot twist in the history of video games and it says a lot about the intellectual capacity of the fan base when so few understand this simple fact
    SE said that it wasn't true. So you have just shot yourself.

It’s way better than VII, that’s for sure
    At least the orphanage plot twist sort of makes sense, the big materia sidequest makes no sense at all. Reasons you have already explained ( about last year ?)
    as if squenix would tell us the truth about their games. wake up, sheep.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's better than XIII. Just saying.

More seriously, VIII certainly has it's problems and frankly it just gets worse the farther in the plot you go, but it comes up with some interesting ideas and it's frankly a pretty unique game in terms of gameplay and scenario, even among FFs.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I feel like VIII had a lot of potential that it didn’t fully live up to. I can see why people don’t like it. I love it though, and it’s what got me into the series and JRPGs in general.

It’s one of my favorite worlds to explore, and I like talking to all of the NPCs. I also like some of the little touches like how Selphie updates her little website on the Balamb computers throughout the game as well as how some of the other stuff on the Garden website changes. I like all of the characters, the designs, and the music. I like how Seifer is made to basically be the stereotypical main character only to ultimately be a failure, often due to some of those more lead characterish traits. Also, the Moombas and Shumi tribe are great additions to FF lore. I also just felt the characterization of these teenage characters was pretty realistic, and Squall was pretty relatable to me back at that age.

I can concede that the orphanage twist was poorly done and poorly utilized (though I still think it could have been good). Quistis got the short end of the stick with the rest of the party, though I still like several of the aspects that are there for her character. Junction/draw is pretty exploitable and a lot of people don’t like it, but I do like it. There are lots of other faults too, but I love the game despite them.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Final Fantasy VIII is a perfect game and I love it don't even @ me with your orphanage hate.

Even if you thought the "we all grew up together" scene felt convoluted or ridiculous, you've gotta give hats off to the idea that using guardian forces had real life consequences. In other games, you don't really have to answer for summoning large beasts, it's just a power you have. In this game they really tried to establish that there's a price to be paid.

This is the hill I will die on.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart View Post
    Final Fantasy VIII is a perfect game and I love it don't even @ me with your orphanage hate.

Even if you thought the "we all grew up together" scene felt convoluted or ridiculous, you've gotta give hats off to the idea that using guardian forces had real life consequences. In other games, you don't really have to answer for summoning large beasts, it's just a power you have. In this game they really tried to establish that there's a price to be paid.

Right !

I will die on this hill too.

Quote Originally Posted by Example View Post

The orphanage twist almost ruined Squall's character for me, him going full emo for having the exact same experience as everyone else made it harder for me to sympathize with or relate to him. The big materia sidequest was dumb and unnecessary but it didn't drag down other parts of the game.
    But Avalanche wanted to save the planet, saving those rocks is going to be pointless if there is no planet left. :/

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

As much as I love it though, I’ll say FFVIII probably has my least favorite soundtrack in the series. And don’t even @ me. I know what everyone thinks. And I think it’s all backwards

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart View Post

Look, I know we're friends but your opinions are not good.

I will concede the consequences thing seems more engaging though.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like the orphanage twist and the consequences of using GF. I liked when the little clues kind of clicked when the reveal happened. I can just admit that it could have probably been done even better.

The only part of the game I’m iffy about is the Garden Master NORG part.

As much as I love it though, I’ll say FFVIII probably has my least favorite soundtrack in the series. And don’t even @ me. I know what everyone thinks. And I think it’s all backwards
    The soundtrack is fantastic. Don't make me call Nobuo Uematsu

Well whenever the hell that FFVII remake comes out we'll be basking in his auditory glory

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

He hasn’t composed anything good since 2010, so go ahead
    Whoa.
    Whoa.
    He composed Heavensward and Stormblood's main themes, thank you very much.

Anyway, I wouldn't go so far as to say VIII is trash. But it's not great.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Change my mind.
    Why would I ever do that? You seem to be pretty on the ball.