Thread: Final Fantasy VIII is Trash

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Default Final Fantasy VIII is Trash

trash3.PNG

I don't know how well known it is, but I don't like VIII. I think the draw magic feature is stupid. Change my mind.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

This is unacceptable. I'm triggered.

renzokuken.png

But really, a lot of it's going to come down to personal preference. I actually liked drawing magic. Instead of just learning something by leveling up, it was organic and just floating around in the ether. There were wellsprings of magic around the world. You could also steal it from people. I thought it was refreshing. I liked that you could stack it to make better spells, so the more fire you had the more impact it had.

I like gaining magic by leveling up, too. But I do prefer the draw points over buying a spell in a shop.

I was happy to see they brought back draw points for Final Fantasy XV, even though the hack and slash aspect of that game made magic less necessary.

Final-Fantasy-15-23.jpg

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Oh man I didn't even realize that XV had that same concept. Welp, guess I hate that now too.

Blog Entries

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Final Fantasy VIII. The story is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical time compression most of the plot will go over a typical gamer's head. There’s also Squall’s nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of this story, to realise that it's not just extremely well executed- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Final Fantasy VIII truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the humour in Squall’s existential catchphrase “... whatever" which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev’s Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Kazushige Nojima's genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Greiver tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It’s for the fellas’ eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they’re within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel k

It is.

But trash is fun.

It's the Sword Art Online of Final Fantasy games.

In retrospect it's very hit and miss for me. There are some things I like about it and other things I really dislike. For example Squall is actually a really well-written MC, but the supporting cast is annoying as hell and lacking development. The story is interesting at first but then takes a dramatic swan dive after the first disc. I've learned to appreciate its finer qualities even though it's still my least favourite of the "Golden Age" Final Fantasies.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

the only people who hate this game are those who fail to realize how it all fits together with the sorceresses and time travel and how rinoa really is ultimecia in the future

it's the greatest plot twist in the history of video games and it says a lot about the intellectual capacity of the fan base when so few understand this simple fact
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

But I hated it so much I never got to that point so.... bad job mirage. This isn't convincing me

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

Good points = Moombas, music.

Bad points = everything else.
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Moombas and the Shumi Tribe are the most underrated additions to Final Fantasy lore from any game ever.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    It’s way better than VII, that’s for sure
    Man why you gotta bring VII into this?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Stay on topic, Fynn.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

WTF ? Final Fantasy VIII is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    the only people who hate this game are those who fail to realize how it all fits together with the sorceresses and time travel and how rinoa really is ultimecia in the future

it's the greatest plot twist in the history of video games and it says a lot about the intellectual capacity of the fan base when so few understand this simple fact
    SE said that it wasn't true. So you have just shot yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    It’s way better than VII, that’s for sure
    At least the orphanage plot twist sort of makes sense, the big materia sidequest makes no sense at all. Reasons you have already explained ( about last year ?)
    Last edited by maybee; 04-05-2018 at 02:19 PM.