Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Final Fantasy VIII is Trash

My biggest issue with the game was that basically only two of the characters in the entire game mattered at all and everyone else was pretty much just there. Also the overall story seemed to come second to the personal love story between Squall and Rinoa.

Compare that to FF7 where all the main cast was developed well and it also had a very defined overall story. Cloud's love story with Aeris or Tifa was just a part of the plot.

FF8 is a difficult game to take the entirety of it and still really enjoy it/love it. There are pieces here and there that you can focus on that you can like or love but much harder when you are trying to take the game as a whole. I think the game was always intended to be an experiment game though and experimental projects often do tend to be polarizing.

Quote Originally Posted by tony123 View Post
    My biggest issue with the game was that basically only two of the characters in the entire game mattered at all and everyone else was pretty much just there. Also the overall story seemed to come second to the personal love story between Squall and Rinoa.

Compare that to FF7 where all the main cast was developed well and it also had a very defined overall story. Cloud's love story with Aeris or Tifa was just a part of the plot.

FF8 is a difficult game to take the entirety of it and still really enjoy it/love it. There are pieces here and there that you can focus on that you can like or love but much harder when you are trying to take the game as a whole. I think the game was always intended to be an experiment game though and experimental projects often do tend to be polarizing.
    That honestly applies to most FF games, or at least the ones post-SNES. FF7 wasn't that much different. Once the side characters got over their mini arc they did almost nothing for the rest of the game.

FFVIII is actually one of my favorite FF's and is in no way a trash game. I guess you have to be the type that can relate too and understand the story to like it... as the second poster a while ago stated. I personally relate to Squall a lot as we are both intensely introverted. The difference between him and I though is that he is a natural leader and I'm definitely not.

I wanted to make a correction to a misinformation here. A user said that magic was nigh 'worthless' in this game when that's very far from the truth. Using the magic damage formula one can see that magic out damages attack command on a turn for turn basis double and triple casted.

The magic damage formula is...

casters mag + spell power = step 1
    step 1 * (265 - target spr) / 4 = step 2
    step 2 * spell power / 256 = step 3
    step 3 + rnd mod multiplied by elemental attributes if any = final damage.

Using this formula damages will go as follows for some of the mightiest magics...

1: 22000 damage triple casting Firaga against a Snow Lion per turn.
    2: 16000 damage triple casting Water against Jumbo Cactaur per turn.
    3: 18800 multi target damage triple casting Quake against Adamantoise per turn.
    4: 7800 multi target damage single casting Ultima, 15000 double, and 22000 triple per turn.
    5: 14000 damage single casting Meteor, 28000 double and 42000 triple per turn.
    6: 9999 damage single casting Demi against Malboro,19998 double, 29997 triple per turn.

Attack command can only ever deal 9999 in one turn but has the status atk advantage. However the mightiest enemies are immune to ohko's making double and triple magic superior for dealing with them.

This is thread is trashier than any game in the series, even XII. Possibly equally trashy to II.

Oooooh, that's swinging pretty low man.

In regards to Claire's post, magic isn't useless in the sense that it can't be powerful, the problem comes from two other extremely exploitable mechanics in the game - scaling enemy levels and limit breaks. Because your stats can be buffed by junctioning spells early and enemy stats can be kept low via non leveling, limits effectively erase everything in the game and there is simply no reason to ever use magic for anything other than buffing your stats. Magic is still plenty damaging in the game to be sure, especially under triple with GFs boosting your stats, but a lot of people don't go that route.

That aside, I certainly don't think the game is trash, but I don't especially love it either. From a narrative point of view, I love most of the entire first disk, especially the Dollet mission, and I found the idea of playing as this elite mercenary squad super engaging. Unfortunately, the second disk hits, and that's about where the game's story completely loses my interest. I also find the combat related systems quite interesting, and like the theory behind what they were doing, but things are beyond exploitable, especially limits, and even if you play things legitimately your characters often become extremely carbon copy unless you go out of your way to enforce classes upon them -- an odd problem with too much freedom some games have. That said, I do go out of my way to enforce classes, and it makes the experience significantly more enjoyable, but that isn't really a part of the game.

Limits don't become a viable normal attack (unless you eant to remain in critical condition constantly) until you get aura late game and even then you have to shuffle until the limit comes up.

Far too much is made of the enemies leveling issue. It's almost a non-issue. In the first place, it's a decent way to get the same enemily types (like Galbadian soldiers) that appear throughout the game to grow. Secondly, unless you're playing very poorly your growth will almost certainly outpace that of most enemies due to learning new GF skills, having new magic become available, etc.

The main problem with using magic in the game is its in limited supply and the best spells are often junctioned to your stats, which means using them lowers your stats. It's still generally worth it to use some spells and then draw or refine more as needed though.

The carbon copy issue has been an issue with most FF games since FFVI. Arguably, FFV even, where making everyone a mime or something like that at the end is a viavle option.

Quote Originally Posted by Rez09 View Post
    Oooooh, that's swinging pretty low man.

In regards to Claire's post, magic isn't useless in the sense that it can't be powerful, the problem comes from two other extremely exploitable mechanics in the game - scaling enemy levels and limit breaks. Because your stats can be buffed by junctioning spells early and enemy stats can be kept low via non leveling, limits effectively erase everything in the game and there is simply no reason to ever use magic for anything other than buffing your stats. Magic is still plenty damaging in the game to be sure, especially under triple with GFs boosting your stats, but a lot of people don't go that route.

That aside, I certainly don't think the game is trash, but I don't especially love it either. From a narrative point of view, I love most of the entire first disk, especially the Dollet mission, and I found the idea of playing as this elite mercenary squad super engaging. Unfortunately, the second disk hits, and that's about where the game's story completely loses my interest. I also find the combat related systems quite interesting, and like the theory behind what they were doing, but things are beyond exploitable, especially limits, and even if you play things legitimately your characters often become extremely carbon copy unless you go out of your way to enforce classes upon them -- an odd problem with too much freedom some games have. That said, I do go out of my way to enforce classes, and it makes the experience significantly more enjoyable, but that isn't really a part of the game.

Very nice response! The End and Degenerator are kinda like limit magic and they're powerful. Granted I'm disappointed with how weak they made Quistis' Shockwave Pulsar though. At a Crisis Level 4 with 255 magic and spirit 0 status inflicted on the enemy it still only deal 32972 damage. They should have made Shockwave Pulsar multi hit based on some analog boost system like Lulu's 'Fury'.

The fist disk is also my favorite as well as the second disk which is probably why I started so much games on this, so I can re experience the beginning and mid game. I just love the game in almost every way.. maybe because it was my first RPG back in 2002 when I was 13 years old.