Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy VIII is Trash

My biggest issue with the game was that basically only two of the characters in the entire game mattered at all and everyone else was pretty much just there. Also the overall story seemed to come second to the personal love story between Squall and Rinoa.

Compare that to FF7 where all the main cast was developed well and it also had a very defined overall story. Cloud's love story with Aeris or Tifa was just a part of the plot.

FF8 is a difficult game to take the entirety of it and still really enjoy it/love it. There are pieces here and there that you can focus on that you can like or love but much harder when you are trying to take the game as a whole. I think the game was always intended to be an experiment game though and experimental projects often do tend to be polarizing.

Quote Originally Posted by tony123 View Post
    My biggest issue with the game was that basically only two of the characters in the entire game mattered at all and everyone else was pretty much just there. Also the overall story seemed to come second to the personal love story between Squall and Rinoa.

Compare that to FF7 where all the main cast was developed well and it also had a very defined overall story. Cloud's love story with Aeris or Tifa was just a part of the plot.

FF8 is a difficult game to take the entirety of it and still really enjoy it/love it. There are pieces here and there that you can focus on that you can like or love but much harder when you are trying to take the game as a whole. I think the game was always intended to be an experiment game though and experimental projects often do tend to be polarizing.
    That honestly applies to most FF games, or at least the ones post-SNES. FF7 wasn't that much different. Once the side characters got over their mini arc they did almost nothing for the rest of the game.

FFVIII is actually one of my favorite FF's and is in no way a trash game. I guess you have to be the type that can relate too and understand the story to like it... as the second poster a while ago stated. I personally relate to Squall a lot as we are both intensely introverted. The difference between him and I though is that he is a natural leader and I'm definitely not.

I wanted to make a correction to a misinformation here. A user said that magic was nigh 'worthless' in this game when that's very far from the truth. Using the magic damage formula one can see that magic out damages attack command on a turn for turn basis double and triple casted.

The magic damage formula is...

casters mag + spell power = step 1
    step 1 * (265 - target spr) / 4 = step 2
    step 2 * spell power / 256 = step 3
    step 3 + rnd mod multiplied by elemental attributes if any = final damage.

Using this formula damages will go as follows for some of the mightiest magics...

1: 22000 damage triple casting Firaga against a Snow Lion per turn.
    2: 16000 damage triple casting Water against Jumbo Cactaur per turn.
    3: 18800 multi target damage triple casting Quake against Adamantoise per turn.
    4: 7800 multi target damage single casting Ultima, 15000 double, and 22000 triple per turn.
    5: 14000 damage single casting Meteor, 28000 double and 42000 triple per turn.
    6: 9999 damage single casting Demi against Malboro,19998 double, 29997 triple per turn.

Attack command can only ever deal 9999 in one turn but has the status atk advantage. However the mightiest enemies are immune to ohko's making double and triple magic superior for dealing with them.

This is thread is trashier than any game in the series, even XII. Possibly equally trashy to II.

Oooooh, that's swinging pretty low man.

In regards to Claire's post, magic isn't useless in the sense that it can't be powerful, the problem comes from two other extremely exploitable mechanics in the game - scaling enemy levels and limit breaks. Because your stats can be buffed by junctioning spells early and enemy stats can be kept low via non leveling, limits effectively erase everything in the game and there is simply no reason to ever use magic for anything other than buffing your stats. Magic is still plenty damaging in the game to be sure, especially under triple with GFs boosting your stats, but a lot of people don't go that route.

That aside, I certainly don't think the game is trash, but I don't especially love it either. From a narrative point of view, I love most of the entire first disk, especially the Dollet mission, and I found the idea of playing as this elite mercenary squad super engaging. Unfortunately, the second disk hits, and that's about where the game's story completely loses my interest. I also find the combat related systems quite interesting, and like the theory behind what they were doing, but things are beyond exploitable, especially limits, and even if you play things legitimately your characters often become extremely carbon copy unless you go out of your way to enforce classes upon them -- an odd problem with too much freedom some games have. That said, I do go out of my way to enforce classes, and it makes the experience significantly more enjoyable, but that isn't really a part of the game.

Limits don't become a viable normal attack (unless you eant to remain in critical condition constantly) until you get aura late game and even then you have to shuffle until the limit comes up.

Far too much is made of the enemies leveling issue. It's almost a non-issue. In the first place, it's a decent way to get the same enemily types (like Galbadian soldiers) that appear throughout the game to grow. Secondly, unless you're playing very poorly your growth will almost certainly outpace that of most enemies due to learning new GF skills, having new magic become available, etc.

The main problem with using magic in the game is its in limited supply and the best spells are often junctioned to your stats, which means using them lowers your stats. It's still generally worth it to use some spells and then draw or refine more as needed though.

The carbon copy issue has been an issue with most FF games since FFVI. Arguably, FFV even, where making everyone a mime or something like that at the end is a viavle option.

Quote Originally Posted by Rez09 View Post
    Oooooh, that's swinging pretty low man.

In regards to Claire's post, magic isn't useless in the sense that it can't be powerful, the problem comes from two other extremely exploitable mechanics in the game - scaling enemy levels and limit breaks. Because your stats can be buffed by junctioning spells early and enemy stats can be kept low via non leveling, limits effectively erase everything in the game and there is simply no reason to ever use magic for anything other than buffing your stats. Magic is still plenty damaging in the game to be sure, especially under triple with GFs boosting your stats, but a lot of people don't go that route.

That aside, I certainly don't think the game is trash, but I don't especially love it either. From a narrative point of view, I love most of the entire first disk, especially the Dollet mission, and I found the idea of playing as this elite mercenary squad super engaging. Unfortunately, the second disk hits, and that's about where the game's story completely loses my interest. I also find the combat related systems quite interesting, and like the theory behind what they were doing, but things are beyond exploitable, especially limits, and even if you play things legitimately your characters often become extremely carbon copy unless you go out of your way to enforce classes upon them -- an odd problem with too much freedom some games have. That said, I do go out of my way to enforce classes, and it makes the experience significantly more enjoyable, but that isn't really a part of the game.

Very nice response! The End and Degenerator are kinda like limit magic and they're powerful. Granted I'm disappointed with how weak they made Quistis' Shockwave Pulsar though. At a Crisis Level 4 with 255 magic and spirit 0 status inflicted on the enemy it still only deal 32972 damage. They should have made Shockwave Pulsar multi hit based on some analog boost system like Lulu's 'Fury'.

The fist disk is also my favorite as well as the second disk which is probably why I started so much games on this, so I can re experience the beginning and mid game. I just love the game in almost every way.. maybe because it was my first RPG back in 2002 when I was 13 years old.

And here I always thought Pulsar was pretty strong. That's a good point though, since most of the game's really devastating limits do deal damage in multiple hits and Pulsar is a bit of a pain to get, you'd really expect it to have some other upside. That might have stepped on Angel Wing Rinoa's meteors, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Golbez View Post
    Limits don't become a viable normal attack (unless you eant to remain in critical condition constantly) until you get aura late game and even then you have to shuffle until the limit comes up.
    Er, yeah, you . . . just remain in critical health and shuffle; Zell and Squall will carry you through the whole game that way with almost no real effort, and God help the universe once you get Irvine.

Far too much is made of the enemies leveling issue. It's almost a non-issue. In the first place, it's a decent way to get the same enemily types (like Galbadian soldiers) that appear throughout the game to grow. Secondly, unless you're playing very poorly your growth will almost certainly outpace that of most enemies due to learning new GF skills, having new magic become available, etc.
    I . . . agree? Enemies leveling with you is a non issue the SaGa series has executed well numerous times, and the FF series itself has used pallet swaps to effectively power up the same old enemies alongside you since its inception. What makes it exploitable in 8 is that your ability to increase your stats is not level gated, and thus you can leave enemies in an extremely under stated state while you power up substantially, the most obvious example being early Water or Tornado to Strength junctions before you head to Dollet. This allows you to quickly reach the point where normal attacks and limits are vastly more effective at killing enemies and bosses, respectively, than spells are, and so magic tends to get glossed over in the game, regardless of how powerful it actually is.

The carbon copy issue has been an issue with most FF games since FFVI. Arguably, FFV even, where making everyone a mime or something like that at the end is a viavle option.
    I wouldn't argue this point, though, admittedly, my preference is for 2 freelancers and 2 mimes to effectively recreate FF3's 2 Ninja 2 Sage setup. The series has historically had issues with this element whenever it strays more towards total character freedom, starting roughly with FF2. That said, this isn't something 8 skirts in any meaningful way, unlike FF6 which at least attempts to via equipment locking and unique skills, and is something I do consider a weaker element of the game. I'd have much preferred if different characters had differing compatibility with the various stat junctions, or if GFs scaled more with character loadouts than usage and abilities like Mag+x% scaled with that compatibility. It would have made for much more diverse and interesting junction and character development systems. I would really like something to encourage making Selfie a mage over Squall, for instance, as opposed to just making her another generic attacker.
    Last edited by Rez09; 03-22-2019 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    For all u haters out there. Lol.

The rebuttal, one year later.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Lol ! My hero !

Wait did this stuff really happen at a show wrestling event? Or is this all a joke going over my head?

By the way I can circumvent the stat junction issue and use magic freely with no worry because I micro manage my levels through my playthroughs and make sure that each level I gain occurs when I have a stat boost ability set. Literally every level up my characters get from their starting levels all the way to level 100 are done with Str bonus, Vit Bonus, Mgc Bonus, and Spr Bonus set. My Rinoa at level 100 has 151 base magic as a result then when I junction Flare(because I never cast this) her mag is 195 + mag+60% = 255. Basically, all my stats are almost 255 with menial junctions.
    Last edited by Sorceress Claire; 03-23-2019 at 02:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorceress Claire View Post
    Wait did this stuff really happen at a show wrestling event? Or is this all a joke going over my head?

By the way I can circumvent the stat junction issue and use magic freely with no worry because I micro manage my levels through my playthroughs and make sure that each level I gain occurs when I have a stat boost ability set. Literally every level up my characters get from their starting levels all the way to level 100 are done with Str bonus, Vit Bonus, Mgc Bonus, and Spr Bonus set. My Rinoa at level 100 has 151 base magic as a result then when I junction Flare(because I never cast this) her mag is 195 + mag+60% = 255. Basically, all my stats are almost 255 with menial junctions.
    Yeah, these were actual fan signs that appeared on live TV at WWE events

The second one that I posted happened maybe a week or two ago. Pretty fun to see.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart View Post
    don't forget the gunblade is the dumbest smurfing weapon in the series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart View Post
    don't forget the gunblade is the dumbest smurfing weapon in the series.
    No one has ever really been able to justify saying that outside of "I just don't like it", which fair enough but

Don't give me some bs like impracticality or design makes no sense because this is a game where you can hit dinosaurs with nunchaku or blow up robots with your fists and it's effective. A sword that vibrates when you pull a trigger isn't a stretch okay.