View Poll Results: Who is the better MC?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cloud

10 71.43%
  • Zack

4 28.57%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who was the superior protagonist?

Default Who was the superior protagonist?

Pretty self explanatory topic. Not including Vincent for obvious reasons. I can understand why many people love Zack more than Cloud, but I personally think the latter was better developed and had a more interesting backstory and characterization. While Zack was designed to be the archetypal hero, Cloud was designed as a deconstruction of that. Anyway, what do you guys think?
    Last edited by Example; 04-06-2018 at 01:48 PM.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Cloud is more interesting, but I find Zack more likable.Zack's personality alone got me through the awful Crisis Core, whereas Cloud's moodiness starts to wear thin for me by the second disc of VII.

Cloud. Cloud just feels more realistic imo. While Zack feels more like a anime protag.

Quote Originally Posted by Example View Post
    While Zack was designed to be the archetypal hero, Cloud was designed as a deconstructionism of that. Anyway, what do you guys think?
    Yeah Cloud was a cliche breaker, especially at the time. While Zack is very cliche. Not a bad thing, just what you prefer when it comes to heroes.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Not a big fan of either, really, but Wolf’s reasoning is similar to my own experience

I prefer Zack. His personality is simply more interesting for me, even if I also really liked CC!Cloud. I just don't think he's that interesting in the original game. I understand why he's popular and I really like him, but I prefer charismatic protagonists who talk and joke a lot, but who end up having a sad story, like Zack, Noctis, Tidus or Zidane.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    Cloud. Cloud just feels more realistic imo. While Zack feels more like a anime protag.

While Zack was designed to be the archetypal hero, Cloud was designed as a deconstructionism of that. Anyway, what do you guys think?
    Yeah Cloud was a cliche breaker, especially at the time. While Zack is very cliche. Not a bad thing, just what you prefer when it comes to heroes.
    I agree with maybee here

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Cloud is more interesting, but I find Zack more likable.Zack's personality alone got me through the awful Crisis Core, whereas Cloud's moodiness starts to wear thin for me by the second disc of VII.
    How did you get through Crisis Core then? Because Zack's moodiness gets WAY worse than Cloud's. That's why I couldn't finish. Happy and bubbly protagonist became eternally depressed and it was terrible.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

I'm not really a fan of either one, but I prefer Zack out of the two.

I have nothing against more complex protagonists but I feel like they didn't do it well in Cloud's case.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post

How did you get through Crisis Core then? Because Zack's moodiness gets WAY worse than Cloud's. That's why I couldn't finish. Happy and bubbly protagonist became eternally depressed and it was terrible.
    Zack only gets depressed once you fight with Genesis for the first time and lose Angeal. After the time skip, he's actually back to being his cheerful self up until the ending. It helps that Gloom Cloud overshadows whatever moodiness Zack can have, and I was honestly more disturbed by Aerith being uncharacteristically gloomy in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by WarZidane View Post
    I'm not really a fan of either one, but I prefer Zack out of the two.

I have nothing against more complex protagonists but I feel like they didn't do it well in Cloud's case.
    Care to elaborate why you feel that?

Zack only gets depressed once you fight with Genesis for the first time and lose Angeal. After the time skip, he's actually back to being his cheerful self up until the ending. It helps that Gloom Cloud overshadows whatever moodiness Zack can have, and I was honestly more disturbed by Aerith being uncharacteristically gloomy in the game.
    Did that actually happen in CC? Dear god, did they get ANYTHING right in that game?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Did that actually happen in CC? Dear god, did they get ANYTHING right in that game?
    For a PSP game it was pretty? I honestly feel the only returning characters done well in the game were Zack and possibly Tseng. Everyone else is surprisingly out of character from VII's version of them, or have at least had one or two personality quirks cranked to 11 in Cloud's case.

CC implies that Aerith gets all her spunk cause it rubbed off on her from Zack, despite VII showing in Aerith's childhood scenes that she was always spunky and optimistic.

I got right past the time skip, and it seemed like he was depressed the whole time and he was certainly still depressed immediately after it. In fact, the entire time skip seemed to be just "Zack's too busy sulking, so nothing happens".

I don't think I played a single mission past that.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

His interactions with Cloud post-time skip generally have him being the more optimistic one. Granted, Zack is certainly more serious post time skip, but it's kind of understandable, but I wouldn't describe him as mopey though. He gets a bit moody when Genesis turned out to still be alive, but I feel even the player would find that relatable since we were all sick of dealing with his whiny ass. I mean maybe Zack is moepy, but frankly, he's a big ol bag of sunshine compared to the rest of the cast who wear grim like they were all wannabe goth kids.

For a PSP game it was pretty? I honestly feel the only returning characters done well in the game were Zack and possibly Tseng. Everyone else is surprisingly out of character from VII's version of them, or have at least had one or two personality quirks cranked to 11 in Cloud's case.

CC implies that Aerith gets all her spunk cause it rubbed off on her from Zack, despite VII showing in Aerith's childhood scenes that she was always spunky and optimistic.
    CC also showed us more of pre-insanity Sephiroth. Also that didn't make sense to me either since she's still overly sweet and dainty at the end of CC.
    Last edited by Example; 03-01-2021 at 03:09 AM.

Both of them get mopey.

Cloud because he was stuck in a experiment lab for about half a decade and then had to watch his "bff" die right in front of his face. Cloud also felt like a worthless failure since childhood.

Zack because he had to kill his "bff" and Genesis being a massive troll.

This may sound awful, but I'm happy that Zack had his mopey moments- it made him more human, and not something that felt like a manga main lead.

He gets a bit moody when Genesis turned out to still be alive, but I feel even the player would find that relatable since we were all sick of dealing with his whiny ass.