Thread: FF9 is the best Final fantasy

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Disc one definitely had good atmosphere. Too bad they forgot to think about where the plot should go after that

IX is really probably the most balanced PSX-era FF when it comes to the story. It knows what it wants to say from start to finish and paces everything well. This is in stark contrast to FFVII and VIII, of which discs 2 and 3 respectively just toss all sanity out the window and nothing makes sense anymore. Worked way better in VIII than VII tbh, because while in VII it just felt like someone didn’t know what they were doing, with VIII it was just so enjoyably campy and insane.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

You're not lying Freya. It's the game that made me a gamer and steered my path in life. I wanted to develop games because of IX.

FFIX is fantastic, but that slow battle system and trance.....

I'll always have a soft spot for VI, but IX is a fantastic game. I also have some history with it since it was the first game I streamed on Twitch back in 2015.

For the longest time, I considered IX to be the best and until now, I love it, 15+ years later.

But recently the top spot has been taken by VI and I never thought it would happen, only after playing it for the 3rd time! It took me 3 playthroughs to appreciate it.
    "I'm a general, not some opera floozy!"

Blog Entries

...IX is my favorite. But I'm not going to say it's "the best" because I know its flaws.
    Just so, I can't allow people to say VII or VI are "the best", because they too have flaws which need to be taken into account before and after gushing about them. VII is one of my least favorites, not because of the execution, but because the fanbase made it seem better than I perceived it to be (while simultaneously throwing shade at fans of other entries). I ended up confused, angry and disappointed after several playthroughs. ....So what.

Many, usually among the hoards of Patriotic VII fans, will say the same about IX. That they were disappointed by it. But guess what: These people are gonna be biased. I, myself, am biased. Our styles all differ. I will always prefer IX's story, characters, music, presentation, and overall color palette over any of the others. Why? Because it suits me.

So yeah... I don't have a "best". Just a "favorite", which I will defend if need be. And that's all I have to say about that.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm only halfway through my first playthrough but it has been excellent so far. I'm not even that bothered by the slow fights (although Trance can be annoying). I'm not massively keen on Zidane as I think he's a bit of a sleazy bastard but the other characters are fantastic so far.

I can't see it overtaking FFVII as my favourite but it's still one of the better entries.