Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Take one.

Default Take one.

Not sure if this is going to work, buuuuuuut here goes.

You have all 15 mainline Final Fantasy games, even the online ones. Spinoffs not included.

You can only do one thing with each one. ( so you can't go- FFXII, FF XII, FFXII, FFXII etc with all of them )

• Improve a Final Fantasy
    • Dump a Final Fantasy
    • Keep a Final Fantasy the same ( no change )
    • Give a Final Fantasy a new soundtrack
    • Give a Final Fantasy a new protag or villian
    • Give a Final Fantasy a animated show ( like the Persona games )
    • Change a battle system/ LVL up system
    • Make a Final Fantasy easier or harder
    • Make a sequel/ spinoff/ another spinoff
    • Give a new ending or opening
    • Would remove the Final Fantasy title ( What you think would work best without the FF name attached to it )
    • Change a plot-twist
    • Would remove your memories around it so you can play it again with a fresh mind
    • Would change the MC into a fluffy lazy cat.
    • Would change/ improve a dungeon or final dungeon.

Have fun ! ( will put up own replies later )

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

• Improve a Final Fantasy -VII - I admit it’s actually good, but it needs Ito to improve the battle system, and everything past disc one just needs to go through another draft or two
    • Dump a Final Fantasy - XIII. No questions asked.
    • Keep a Final Fantasy the same ( no change ) - XII. Duh.
    • Give a Final Fantasy a new soundtrack - VIII. Needs a thorough rearrangement. The melodies themselves for the most part aren’t bad but the instrumentation’s just feels amateurish, making it really stand out in a bad way, especially since it’s sandwiches between two of the best soundtracks Nobuo has made (V and VI are in that group too).
    • Give a Final Fantasy a new protag or villian - IX. As much as I like Necron for what he represents, a more human main villain would be more fitting.
    • Give a Final Fantasy a animated show ( like the Persona games ) - V. Because it’s so fun.
    • Change a battle system/ LVL up system - IV. As much as I like the fixed classes, some deeper customization than what we got with augments would be cool.
    • Make a Final Fantasy easier or harder - III needs to chill the smurf out
    • Make a sequel/ spinoff/ another spinoff - XI if it got released again as kind of another game, since I remember enjoying it more than XIV but I expect it would be hard to go back to now.
    • Give a new ending or opening - from what I’ve heard, XV. It would’ve been nice if Kingsglaive were actually a playable prologue a la the Reks scene in FFXII.
    • Would remove the Final Fantasy title ( What you think would work best without the FF name attached to it ) - FFXIV. Not that I dislike it, it just feels like it’s a big enough brand now that it could become its own thing.
    • Change a plot-twist - I guess FFI? But I’m not really passionate about it. Maybe give some more foreshadowing to that Garland thing?
    • Would remove your memories around it so you can play it again with a fresh mind - FFVI, definitely.
    • Would change the MC into a fluffy lazy cat. - X. Tidus is suboptimal in comparison.
    • Would change/ improve a dungeon or final dungeon. - II. The Jade Passage is pretty bad. Plus, all those empty rooms in all the dungeons are terrible.

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

• Improve a Final Fantasy - VII, maybe the remaster will grant me this one.
    • Dump a Final Fantasy - II, there's no saving this one.
    • Keep a Final Fantasy the same ( no change ) - IX
    • Give a Final Fantasy a new soundtrack - XII, don't hurt me Fynn
    • Give a Final Fantasy a new protag or villain - X, get rid of Tidus
    • Give a Final Fantasy a animated show ( like the Persona games ) - XI, expose more people to the fact it actually had a good story
    • Change a battle system/ LVL up system - XIII, gating level-ups was silly. The battle system could use tweaking too, which they did in XIII-2.
    • Make a Final Fantasy easier or harder - III a bit easier I suppose. Honestly though none of the FF difficulties bothered me *that* much.
    • Make a sequel/ spinoff/ another spinoff - VI
    • Give a new ending or opening - VIII could certainly use a new ending.
    • Would remove the Final Fantasy title ( What you think would work best without the FF name attached to it ) - XV, just to get rid of all the "wah it's not final fantasy" debates.
    • Change a plot-twist - IV i suppose? I'm running out of entries here and none of the twists in IV were particularly interesting to me.
    • Would remove your memories around it so you can play it again with a fresh mind - XIV, because enjoying the best FF all over again would be great.
    • Would change the MC into a fluffy lazy cat. - I, because i couldn't really use this entry anywhere else
    • Would change/ improve a dungeon or final dungeon. - All I have left over is V now, so...

eyup.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Let's see what we can do, the hard part here is that five of these scenarios can apply to several entries.

Improve a Final Fantasy: VI, as much as I love this game, even I will admit that the gameplay could be changed. I don't necessarily want to make severe changes like a new battle system, but far better balancing of the basic mechanics with maybe a few new additions could do some serious wonders for this game.

Dump a Final Fantasy: XIII, not simply because I hate it, but because in order to make it a better game it would need a vast overhaul to every aspect of the game to such a degree, that it would no longer resemble the game we all know. So when your only choice is to burn it all down and simply start again from the foundation, I feel you messed up.

Keep a Final Fantasy the same ( no change ): FFV, if the "additional content" of FFV Advance showed me anything, it's that it is incredibly hard to add to near perfect gameplay. The plot is light, but I feel it works better that way.

Give a Final Fantasy a new soundtrack: Going to get yelled at by Fynn for this but FFIX. More out of default than anything else, but the games I feel could use the improvement have more pressing issues than just the OST. IX's OST is good, but not really exceptional to me. I feel like it could have used better character themes and parts of the OST sound a bit too similar to each other. In truth though, I feel VIII, XII, XIII, and XV need more improvement.

Give a Final Fantasy a new protag or villain: VIII, I feel dropping Ultimecia and either sticking to Edea or building up Adel as a better character would vastly improve this already screwy story.

Give a Final Fantasy a animated show ( like the Persona games ): FFI funny enough, I feel the world is rich enough in content that it would make for a cute animated series.

Change a battle system/ LVL up system: FFII, now don't get me wrong, I actually enjoy it, but it does need to be retooled in a few ways to make it more balanced, and probably get rid of the comical way most people level up.

Make a Final Fantasy easier or harder: FFX, I could probably stomach the game better if the combat was challenging enough through the main campaign to make it worth using. I like the concept of CTB, but a highly strategic system like that needs a sharper difficulty curve to make it shine.

Make a sequel/ spinoff/ another spinoff: XII, not counting the MMOs, the Ivalice world is rich enough in concept to support a Suikoden style spin-off.

Give a new ending or opening: I'm going with XV, I don't know how much has been changed with patches/Royal Edition, but XV could have used a stronger opening and a less rushed ending.

Would remove the Final Fantasy title ( What you think would work best without the FF name attached to it ): XI, what was wrong with just calling it FF Online?

Change a plot-twist: VII, I'd likely either redo Cloud's past by omitting Tifa from the game since she is kind of the source of all of the problems I have with it, or I would change the reveal about Sephiroth and make it so it's actually Jenova the whole time and she has simply been using the memory of Sephiroth to lure Cloud in so she can reclaim her genes from him.

Would remove your memories around it so you can play it again with a fresh mind: IV, but mainly out of default because this was my other choice for "don't change it". Still, as my second FF, I do wonder if it would hold up as well for me if I had played it last. So this is more of an interesting thought experiment as opposed to wanting to relive nostalgia.

Would change the MC into a fluffy lazy cat.: XIV since I can make my avatar and they would be cute. Also, I don't know enough about it to make any real judgments on it.

Would change/ improve a dungeon or final dungeon.: FFIII just ouch...

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Damn why is everyone so scared of me and my opinions!
    Cause we all know how you are with music topics, and I haven't bitten anyone's heads off in awhile.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Oh man this is gonna be tough. I've re-ordered them to show you which I chose first and which I chose last. Well, from memory, which I chose first, anyway.

• Would remove the Final Fantasy title (What you think would work best without the FF name attached to it): Final Fantasy XIII. Maybe then people would give it a bit more credit!
    • Change a plot-twist: Final Fantasy I, I'd just remove the time travel thing.
    • Change a battle system/LVL up system: Final Fantasy II, so I might like it.
    Dump a Final Fantasy: Final Fantasy III, because I've yet to play it for very long and nothing about it grabs me.
    • Would remove your memories around it so you can play it again with a fresh mind: Final Fantasy X, maybe I'd enjoy it more with the Japanese voice acting instead of the horrid voices of Yuna, Seymour and Tidus in the English version. I'd have to have a fresh mind so it wasn't always in the back of my head what they sound like in the English version.
    Improve a Final Fantasy: Final Fantasy XV, there are loads of things I'd like to add to this story.
    • Make a sequel/spinoff/another spinoff: Final Fantasy VIII, I'd love a spinoff focused on another time with the sorceress being different, and with more information and note given to the Shumi Tribe who are excellent lore-wise with lots of potential.
    • Give a Final Fantasy a new soundtrack: Final Fantasy XI, not because the soundtrack is bad, but because I don't really mind if a MMO OST is changed compared to a single player OST. And I didn't play FFXI much anyway.
    • Would change the MC into a fluffy lazy cat: Final Fantasy VI. An ensemble cast made entirely of fluffy lazy cats!
    • Give a new ending or opening: Final Fantasy XII. I always felt the ending of this game was rather forgettable, even though I've seen it twice I still can't remember much other than Penelo reading a letter.
    • Give a Final Fantasy an animated show (like the Persona games): Final Fantasy XIV, because I think an anime following the scions would be pretty epic.
    • Make a Final Fantasy easier or harder: Final Fantasy IX - By "easier" I mean "easier to tolerate the incredibly slow battle system at the early stages of the game".
    • Would change/improve a dungeon or final dungeon: Final Fantasy V. I remember some of them were kind of boring. *throwaway option*
    • Give a Final Fantasy a new protag or villain: Final Fantasy IV, because I've yet to finish it and can't remember a huge deal, so I wouldn't be upset if Golbez was replaced with another villain.
    • Keep a Final Fantasy the same (no change): Final Fantasy VII, because it's the only one I haven't chosen yet and I love it just the way it is.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Would remove the Final Fantasy title ( What you think would work best without the FF name attached to it ): XI, what was wrong with just calling it FF Online?
    That wouldn't remove the Final Fantasy title. It would remove the number, sure...

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I... Golbez? Really? Man, you really didn’t get far into the game, did you

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

III and IV are my only two FF main series games I've yet to complete. For IV, I remember characters like Rydia, Edward, that ninja dude, Cecil. I can't remember much else. For III, I remember nothing. This goes back to the year 2000 when I just downloaded them all and played the first 30-60 minutes of each of them and then got to V and stuck with V because it's amazing.

Also, I had IV and VII left. I wasn't exactly going to throw out Cloud, Sephiroth or Shinra. xD If I could double up, I'd perhaps have used another of the games, but many of them have memorable bosses I quite enjoyed. II could probably have gone in there but it had a horrible battle system which was a no-brainer for me in knowing what I wanted to put it down as.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I fully intend to! Same for III.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I mean, III was great for its time, but didn’t age half as well as IV, which I believe has the best pacing in the series to date.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I always had the feeling I'd enjoy IV! I never had the feeling I'd enjoy III compared to other FFs, although I rarely don't enjoy a game so you never know.