Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Guess it’s just me updating now. Sorry for the triple post, staff

So I saved the Gecklings from the weapons dealer and now I’m going deep into the jungle to find Silver’s treasure which, if I’m assuming right, is one of those magical thingamabobs that are meant to stop Saruin or something? Idk the game is vague so far. Also, the lizards are basically satanists? In any case, the jungle is confusing and I’m constantly worried that I’m taking part in too many battles because the enemies are constantly chasing me into corners and I have to fight like five battles before leaving. At this rate, my event rank will skyrocket to the point that I can’t do anymore quests before I even leave this island -_-

I also encountered this lady at the pub who’s like “please go away”. I hope I won’t miss the resolution of this quest because it looks very interesting.

My party so far consists of Gawke, Guella Ha, Pirate, Diana and Amazon. I assume I shouldn’t really invest much into the characters without actual names as I’ll probably want those more interesting (and likely stronger) characters in my party later. I am amused at how nonchalant Diana is about the whole thing. I approach her, she says “I’m looking for my long-lost brother” and then suddenly joins my party without any other context whatsoever. It’s corny, it’s old school, and I love it.

Any tips on how I should spend jewels on character classes? So far I’ve reached level 2 with pirate for Hawke, with an additional level in thief for proficiency purposes, Guella Ha got a level in Geckling Warrior, and Diana got a level in... uh... can’t remember the name but it’s the class with Terrology.

Oh yeah. The voice acting. Not nearly as terrible as I suspected, but not exactly top drawer either. I do know it will get annoying eventually, since every single line of dialog in this game is voiced and cannot be skipped or fast-forwarded

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Getting swarmed by enemies is normal in this game. I had dungeons in the original where I would enter a room and I started having flashbacks to old school Gauntlet.

Sadly, you will never get closure for Diana's story. Well not without playing a certain other character's story. The bar lady is actually part of an unfinished quest in the original. You could see her in taverns but never speak to her. The Silver Quest, at least in the 16-bit version, is pretty long with two possible boss battles in it, so be prepared. You do get an additional reward for completing it that you didn't in the original though.

Getting buddy buddy with the Gecklings will help you complete a quest I couldn't start in the original that leads to another of the Fatestones. In the original, the Fatestones are equipment and items that give pretty snazzy stat bonuses, so they're worth going after, though a few of them may involve being a bit of a jerk in order to keep them.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hmm. Interesting. I am actually pretty good with the Gecklings since I freed them. We’ll see how that goes. All I know right now is that the Geckling Map is really not helping me find my way through the jungle

Any word on whether Diana’s story and the mystery pub woman quest are finished in the remake?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The mystery woman's quest is finished in the remake, Diana's story is left purposely without closure. I'll just spoil it for you, Diana is Albert's older sister. To understand her backstory, you need to play his chapter, but the game is set up in a way where the two can pretty much never meet. If you keep her in your party, you'll never meet Albert and likewise, she can't be recruited if Albert is the chosen MC or in your party. Diana appeared in Albert's ending, but it's unknown if they ever meet again. Made slightly dickish considering Albert and Diana can both do missions for the one character who knows they are both alive. From what I've read elsewhere, Diana is a better character than Albert stat wise.

The only two quests I'm aware of that were not completed in the original but finished in the remake involve the mysterious bar lady, and the necromancer. They both also dealt with the two missing Fatestones as it was impossible to get all of the stones without hacking the game since neither of these missions were completed.I wouldn't be surprised if there was more cut content. From what I've read elsewhere online, there are a lot of unused assets in the code and heavy implication a few other surprising characters were meant to be recruited which entails more missions that were likely cut in the original. The remake adds back a bunch of stuff and actually has a larger roster of recruitable characters than the original which is kind of daunting to say the least.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Pho. So it looks like I should probably keep Diana. Am I correct in assuming that only the names characters are worth keeping around? Or maybe there’s a generic “Warrior” or something out there with hidden potential or some trout? And are there quests that require you to have specific members in your party?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

In my limited experience, "generics" tend to disappear. You can usually only recruit named characters.

Yes, there are a few quests that require certain people. For instance, the Geckling quests you've been doing can only be done with Guella Ha on your team. The Hidden Village Gecklings won't give you the time of day without him on your team.There is a special Harem quest that can usually only be undertaken by Aisha and Jamil since Time Event for it is incredibly small and they're located closest to it. There is one quest that can involve a character needing to be recruited, but you can also do it without him but it will affect your Karma meter. Claudis has a rather simple mission you can do that requires her on your team as well.

Also, new to the remake is a Favor mechanics where your actions and the quets you do incurs favor among the various gods of the world. They will show their favor in battle with some cool pyrotechnics.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

So in the end, I should just not worry about all the stuff I can’t possibly do this time around and enjoy my adventure around the world. Got it.

Is Guella Ha decent in the end, or do you think I should replace him with someone better who comes along? In general, which characters are good? I know you said Gray was great

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I liked Guella Ha personally, he wasn't my first choice but I really warmed up to him by the end. Honestly, I would just recruit who looks interesting to you as most of the characters can be built to what you need and you shouldn't restrict yourself. A large part of the cool factor of this game is the serious amount of options in terms of party choices and quests.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well that’s good to know. I was asking specifically because I enjoy Guella Ha and I think the way Hawke is so fond, almost protective of him is adorable and it would be pretty cruel to just tell him to get lost. Diana looks pretty cool so far too, and I guess the only members I am thinking of replacing at this point are the nameless Pirate and Amazon. I’m just worried I’ll find someone cool and then someone even cooler but will no longer have enough party space and have to choose between them :/

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ok that dragon guarding the gate stone wiped me out in one turn. What.

Is that on the Geckling Island in / near the treasure cave? If so that thing is pretty nasty early game, so you might want to come back later.

. . . Actually, that's pretty true about every dragon in game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

But don’t those things scale with my level anyway? And are all fatestones guarded by dragons?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    But don’t those things scale with my level anyway? And are all fatestones guarded by dragons?
    I think they scale like the level mechanics in VIII, where monsters have a "base level". I was halfway through the game before I ran into the dragons.

Going by the original title, as I am far less familiar with the remake, normal encounters do scale with you but boss encounters do not. As I recall only two fatestone quests require fighting dragons, but the other quest can't be started until very late in the game anyway so you don't have to worry about that one. While the fatestones are nice they are not required for completing the game, so don't get too hung on obtaining them super early, especially the one you found as it is one of the ones that should always be available.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Thanks for the tips. I guess I’ll just move on from this island for now.