Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 59101112131415

Thread: SaGa Franchise

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

They just dropped a trailer for the collection.

Looks fairly faithful. I feel the only thing this collection missed the mark on was finally porting over the remakes. I mean even the Wonderswan remake of SaGa 1 should have been pretty easy. Still, I tend to prefer playing games in their original form and SE is notorious for skipping over originals for remakes so I feel this is pretty nice.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Wow, looks like a direct port of the Game Boy games, which is a bit outside the norm for them. Man I loved that trilogy. I do wish they also included the remakes.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I know I haven't updated this in ages. I more or less abandoned Legend III because I got stuck and wasn't invested enough to look up the answer. I have been playing the mobile game during this whole time and have enjoyed it immensely. But unfortunately, it suffers from several of the issues I have with a lot of SE's mobile titles. Mainyl the game overloads you with events distracting you from the main narrative, and secondly the game has become a bit too bloated in terms of memory storage thanks to the constant huge updates. I've had to delete most of my apps just to keep the damn thing on my phone. It's a great game, but too big for its own good.

Narratively, it's one of the more interesting games in the franchise and I love the fact they learned their lessons from Dissidia and went all in with really playing with party dynamics and playing up each characters story. There is a wicked cool moment where Sophia (a Crusader class character from RS2) gets to give Kzinssie a reason you suck speech after revealing she knows the power to dodge his Soul Steal move thanks to her time with the Emperor from her own world. There is also a cool event where Undine opens a magic school for all the kid characters and one guy decided that Gustave XIII of all people should be their body guard to some mixed trauma.

Basically, the game allows the new story characters to summon heroes from other worlds, but they are from different points in time from said world, explaining why you can have multiples of the same character in the world. This leads to some really dark moments, especially in some of the tower sequences, where you're dealing with characters who meet untimely ends interacting with heroes from their own game knowing their fate. Likewise, the game has an ongoing subplot about the eight heroes from RS3 discovering that one of them is missing in this new world, to the point the memory of them has also been sealed away. There is also some political intrigue going on as well, made amusing by the descendant of Monika and Mikhail asking them for leadership advice. Overall, the story is actually one of the highlights of the game.

The gameplay is also great. but eventually slows to a crawl when it becomes an equipment grind. Thankfully, equipment is not part of the draw system like it was in Record Keeper so obtaining it isn't usually too difficult, just grinding materials can be tiresome and gaining S rank stuff is hard since it's locked behind higher difficulty levels. It's been a fun game, it's just hard getting past the mobile genres gatcha elements. I still feel like I spend too much time doing side stuff instead of playing the main quest which is annoying. Still, once I reach another update that it too big for my phone, I'm likely going to drop the game.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just to let you know. Square-Enix is putting Romancing SaGa 3 on sale for it's 25th anniversary this year. You can get it on steam for less than $13 USD, so if you have been interested in this old classic, you should check it out. Likewise, they are doing some cool events in Re; Universe as well.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Apparently the remasters have been a good business decision by SE because they just announced a remaster of SaGa Frontier for next summer! Even better, they are not just going to spruce up the graghics either. They are adding back in all of the missing content including the eight character Fuse and several of the cut sequences in Asellus' storyline. Looks like it's getting a better translation as well. So this is pretty neat and I hope it's success means we may see the same thing happen to SaGa Frontier 2!

Total Sweetheart Lone Wolf Leonhart's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

This is really exciting.

I have fond memories of playing on ps1 back in the day, and I remember reading about people finding a missing 8th playable character in the data, so it's awesome to see he'll be officially put in the game.

Asellus has been my favorite for a while, so I'm glad to see more attention brought to her story.

So stoked. Imagine if one of your favorite books growing up was released now and you found out they included entire missing chapters.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

honestly pretty cool
    should I play the original first or wait for this-

Total Sweetheart Lone Wolf Leonhart's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by krissy View Post
    honestly pretty cool
    should I play the original first or wait for this-
    It's just the original game + more things, so unless you want to play the original to see what's different the second go around, there's really no need to search it out.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I would wait for the remaster.

For me though, I did pick up the original, so I may jump into that for my New Year's gaming.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

A'nutoh Tia (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Definitely looking forward to this, even if my track record with SaGa isnít the greatest lol. Iíve yet to finish Romancing SaGa 2 despite loving it immensely, and Iíd still like to get 3 (though even with that last sale I was too broke to get it). So Iíll hopefully pick this up once it comes out. At the very least the SaGa remakes have been coming out on systems I own so I imagine thisíll be the case here too.

Also, I canít help but notice a certain gap here. I think SaGa I-III are available through their original gameboy versions on some system, probably the Switch, right? Well now weíre missing Romancing SaGa 1. I know it had a remake first but that was back on the PS2, which is ancient at this point. So itíd be nice if at least we could get that version ported to newer systems.