• i dunno

1 6.67%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FFXV VS Sims 4

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by WarZidane View Post

[citation needed]
    One sec, let me just post the audio file of the bug I hid in Square's offices As I said in my post, the season pass specifically advertising these episodes was announced before the game was released. The story was obviously shaped to fit the DLCs in too as Wolf Kanno pointed out. If you haven't played it, there are events in the story where they arbitrarily split the party up with little reason, and they all return with a "Oh I'll tell you about it later" nod and a wink. If you want to believe in the wholesome honest nature of Square-Enix then I don't have the heart to try to convince you otherwise, but most people who played the game have probably reached the same conclusion that I did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post

Also, for what it's worth, the DLC was free for me since I pre-ordered. Say what you like about the whole pre-ordering thing, but I bought the game at 100% price and got 100% of the game.

Still haven't played the DLC though. xD #someday?
    Are you sure you did? Unless you got the Premium Edition (and you would have to have paid more for it) the Episode DLC is not part of a pre-order.

Anyway, with that said, I don't want to be too harsh. The Assassin's Festival and a couple of other bits were free which is great. I do agree with Wolf Kanno though that they definitely refined the gameplay mechanics of this content in the interim though and probably added some polish. I wasn't really blown away by the unique gameplay in any of them though and was more interested in the episodes for the story content.

I also think these new episodes are more palatable. Maybe I'm being naive but I think they're all new ideas and concepts that they've had after launch, rather than chopping and changing the main story to shoehorn them in.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

For the last time, BoB, the point of two versions of Pokémon games has always been socialization! If you’re buying both games to get all the pokes you are doing it wrong! And yes, this is even more a thing today because WiFi Connection is a thing and you can trade with people from all around the world and have all the Pokémon on one cartridge, paying for only one game! There is nothing money grubby about the Pokémon model. Sure, there is a lot to complain about (such as limited time event Pokémon that would honestly feel better if they actually did paid DLC instead - which they never did) - but comparing Pokémon to what EA is doing is downright offensive because - again - for the last four generations it has been completely possible to 100% your Pokédex with only one game card and no one else around who plays Pokemon. It’s the exact opposite of the thing this thread is about!

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

There's a big difference between deliberately removing content from your game to later sell separately, and placing a hook for DLC you have planned.

If it's unclear, the former implies the content was already done and then they removed it.

And no, having the DLC planned out in advance doesn't count. That's how DLC works, they have it planned in advance so the teams can get started on it when the game goes gold so that the entire team doesn't have to twiddle their thumbs until the next big project.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by WarZidane View Post
    There's a big difference between deliberately removing content from your game to later sell separately, and placing a hook for DLC you have planned.

If it's unclear, the former implies the content was already done and then they removed it.

And no, having the DLC planned out in advance doesn't count. That's how DLC works, they have it planned in advance so the teams can get started on it when the game goes gold so that the entire team doesn't have to twiddle their thumbs until the next big project.
    While I believe the content was planned ahead for the purpose of DLC and was likely always intended that way, I also feel that in the case of Prompto and Ignis' chapters, the content of their DLC was actually relevant towards the overall nature of the story. I feel many fans would have felt a lot less disappointed with how the story was handled in Chapters 9 and 13 had several of the elements from both of the respective character DLCs remain. I mean there are some serious plot elements concerning Ravus, Verstail, and major story elements about the rest of the villains are all in the DLC. A major gripe with XV was the lackluster villains and that's largely cause all of their stories were saved for extra stuff like the DLC and the movie.

The DLC for a series like Dark Souls simply enriches a great game to begin with. The DLC for XV is filling in gaps that many players noticed while playing the game. The difference here is that without the DLC, Dark Souls is still a great game, whereas XV feels unfinished. This is not saying the DLC is bad, but I would agree with many people that the handling of XV's DLC and the content it contains could have been better. Even though it was likely always planned, due to the nature of the DLC in relation to the greater narrative, it all feels like content that should have been in the main game regardless, and whether it was pre-planned and implemented later doesn't really matter to the fans, and in the court of public opinion, even looking guilty can make you guilty despite your innocence.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Do I think the content was finished and then removed? Of course not. The game itself wasn't done when they released it! Funny bugs aside, there were some more serious game breaking issues too that I certainly experienced and I know I wasn't alone in that. Given its troubled development and multiple delays and push back dates, given that they were happy to release an unfinished game but call it finished, yes, it's not unreasonable to suspect that at some point they said smurf it, let's just ship what we got, we'll come back to this stuff and sell it as DLC and a complete edition of the game later.

Even if you want to exclude the DLC under the theory that it was planned from the start, I'd invite you to meet the Royal Edition. I don't know if you've played XV yet, but this is stuff that was clearly meant for the main game (the Altissia boat exploration is the best example) and was cut. Instead of releasing the completed update for free to people who paid full price they're charging more money for it.

And hey, I get it. They're a business and not a charity, they gotta pay the bills somehow. But I've got bills to pay too, and having supported this game at launch I now regret doing so knowing what I know. I thought I was getting a complete game, I do not feel that I got that. Final Fantasy was one of the few game series where I'd pre-order and buy the season pass for but in future I'm going to wait and see. If they want to alienate loyal customers to try to double dip and make those sweet $$$ gains, well, good luck to 'em I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Still not even half as scummy as EA’s treatment of TS4
    So we forgive bad business strategies because another company has been even worse? All that does is normalize things.

Look at Battlefield 2. All of a sudden loot boxes are "okay", as long as they're purely cosmetic. Sure, pay to win isn't accepted (for now), but we've made the predatory and consumer unfriendly practice standard accepted procedure in the industry now. Two steps against the customer, one back. And it keeps happening.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Still not even half as scummy as EA’s treatment of TS4
    So we forgive bad business strategies because another company has been even worse? All that does is normalize things.

Look at Battlefield 2. All of a sudden loot boxes are "okay", as long as they're purely cosmetic. Sure, pay to win isn't accepted (for now), but we've made the predatory and consumer unfriendly practice standard accepted procedure in the industry now. Two steps against the customer, one back. And it keeps happening.
    This thread is about comparing FFXV with TS4 in that regard. I am making my stance on the original question clear, that is all. You’re just putting words in my mouth at this point.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Are you sure you did? Unless you got the Premium Edition (and you would have to have paid more for it) the Episode DLC is not part of a pre-order.
    Fair point, perhaps I did this, it falls in line with my normal buying strategy for main FF games
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I don't give a trout about Sims, and smurf EA. So FFXV I guess.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I mean, yeah, some sort of scummy practices with the FFXV DLC but it really doesn't compare to the smurfery that is the Sims 4. There is DLC for the DLC.

You can get Noct's outfit in Sims 4 now, and Sims 4 llama superhero costumes DLC in FFXV....