Thread: 10 Favorite Games Then And Now

Default 10 Favorite Games Then And Now

As we get older, our tastes can change. What we once found so exciting can seem boring and likewise what was once tedious is now something that we see the real value in.

Much is the same for our love of video games. I admit to having played less and less of them as I've gotten older, as the general amount of time I have to spend on them just gets smaller and smaller. Still, when a game really catches my eye, I find the time to play it.

I decided to try and make a list of my top ten games of all time and was surprised to see that most of them still remain games I played long ago but retain certain places in my heart. Is it the same for you? And what does it take for a new game to crack your list?

10. Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1)
    9. Super Mario Kart (SNES)
    8. Fifa 2016 (PS4)
    7. Secret of Mana (SNES)
    6. Golden Eye 007 (N64)
    5. Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii)
    4. The Witcher III (PS4)
    3. Super Mario 3 (NES)
    2. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
    1. Final Fantasy VI (SNES)

Take care all.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Almost certainly for me, but it's worth noting that if I were to play all of those games again, I doubt I'd enjoy them as much as I did in that generation. Some games don't age well, despite my love for 'em.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

For me, any game I'm usually willing to play again immediately after finishing it is usually a great game in my book.

My Top Ten:

10. Final Fantasy Tactics
    9. Suikoden 1+2
    8. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    7. Mega Man 2
    6. Persona 3
    5. Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne
    4. Xenogears
    3. Final Fantasy VI
    2. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
    1. Chrono Trigger

For the most part, what each game has in common is that it helped mold me into the person I am today, either by sparking my imagination, introducing me to new concepts, or changing my general outlook. Those are the games that tend to stay forever in my Top Ten.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

10. Septerra Core
    9. Ys Origin
    8. Ar Tonelico 2
    7. GTA: Vice City
    6. Digital Devil Saga
    5. Digimon World
    4. Disgaea 2
    3. Wind Waker
    2. Final Fantasy V
    1. Chrono Trigger

The top six have been mostly consistent forever. 7-10 it was like; I really, really like those games. Also just realized the two oldest games are at the top. All my games have really good soundtracks.

This was really difficult. I had to do top 15.

1. Final Fantasy VI
    2. Dragon Quest IX
    3. Persona 5
    4. Final Fantasy IX
    5. Bravely Second
    6. Chrono Trigger
    7. Animal Crossing : New Leaf
    8. Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
    9. Spyro the Dragon
    10. Dragon Quest V
    11. Sonic the Hedgehog
    12. Ico
    13. Final Fantasy IV ( DS )
    14. Castlevania : Portrait of Ruin
    15. Ace Attorney : Dual Destinies

I'm still not sure about this list.

Very interesting and instructive that all the top games on our lists so far are nostalgia ones from the SNES. Both the legendary status of those games and golden age in development speak for themselves as much as I’m guessing the time period we first experienced them. That halo effect is very powerful but I think they still hold up so well too.

Take care all.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

My top 10 changes a lot actually. Not that long ago, I did a top 25, and even since that time things have shifted around a lot.

10. Pokémon Black Version
    9. Chrono Trigger
    8. Final Fantasy XII
    7. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
    6. Xenogears
    5. Xenoblade Chronicles
    4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    3. Persona 3
    2. Undertale
    1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Like WK, a lot of the things that stay at the top are games that have influenced me the most, and they’ve been there for a very long time. Chances are, though, that if you asked me to make this list tomorrow, it’d be different. I think the only immovable element of all this is the Witcher, because I doubt I’ll ever see a game that’s not only so solidly made, but also such a satisfying conclusion and culmination to a decades-long series so dear to my heart.

Here they are, in not exact order. I may have forgotten something - might edit later. I tried to stick with one game per series/developer.

10. Fable (1st game)
    9. Bully
    8. Knights of the Old Republic
    7. Persona 4
    6. Heroes of Might and Magic 2
    5. Final Fantasy IV Decided to amend this to VII, also changed order slightly
    4. Shenmue 2
    3. Psychonauts
    2. Monkey Island 2
    1. Mother 3
    Last edited by Vincent, Thunder God; 04-23-2018 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    7. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
    Just curious, what is it about FFT Advance that you liked more than the first Final Fantasy Tactics? I've never played FFTA but I don't exactly hear the best things . . .

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I FORGOT TALES OF THE ABYSS! I can't believe it. Forget Vice City, Tales of the Abyss is taking it's place.

I tried to make this list by focusing on games that took up a lot of time at one point in my life even if I no longer play them anymore, and games that had a lasting impact on me. I also didn't include multiple entrees from the same franchise (otherwise at least half would be Tales and Final Fantasy games) and this is what I ended up with:

1. Yugioh (2014's HAT format in particular; I quit just before 2016)
    2. Tales of Phantasia (my first and favorite game in the tales series)
    3. Pokemon Emerald (couldn't play any of the newer ones as I don't have a DS)
    4. Final Fantasy X (my favorite final fantasy title; all my siblings played this too)
    5. Smite (my current obsession game; I'm trying to go competitive at it)
    6. Mafia/Werewolf (I've played this on a couple different forums and always had fun with it)
    7. Shadowverse (though more for the solo campaign than the multiplayer)
    8. Duel Masters / Kaijudo (I only played the PS2 game, but man was it fun. Sadly the community for the IRL game is pretty much dead.)
    9. old Runescape (before they changed the combat system and made it so it couldn't run on older computers)
    10. Hearthstone (though I haven't played this in years since priest was always the worst class despite being my favorite)

So that's 4 cardgames (yugioh, hearthstone, shadowverse and duelmasters) 3 JRPGS (tales of phantasia. FFX, and pokemon emerald) 1 MMORPG (runescape) 1 MOBA (smite) and 1 forum game (mafia). Quite a decent spread and pretty well reflective of my interests over the years. I don't suppose any of you would like to play some HAT format by chance?
    Last edited by Sarisa; 04-22-2018 at 07:27 PM.