Thread: Are you fans of any of Squenix's Non FF/DQ/KH titles?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nom nom nom Are you fans of any of Squenix's Non FF/DQ/KH titles?

Square-Enix is mainly known for Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, but they also have access to several other IPs and have made several other franchises. I don't know about you, but I'm some of these other franchises are pretty cool and even better than many of the games released in their main franchises. So my question is, do you play any of them? Which ones did you like? Which ones do you not like? Bought IPs count as well so bring out the Eidos and Taito love as well if you wish.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The World Ends With You is one of my favorite Squenix games.

If we're counting Enix published titles I really enjoyed Valkyrie Profile. Haven't gotten around to playing any of the other games in the series yet.

Taito has made a lot of classic arcade games, my favorites being Elevator Action Returns and RayForce.

FFXIV Character

Arianna Harkness (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    The World Ends With You is one of my favorite Squenix games.
    This. It's certainly one of the most original games they made, and took great advantage of dual-screens. Also, their map of the city was fairly accurate. One of the guys I worked with back when it came out tested it.

I might like the SaGa series a fair bit, although how much is highly dependent on the title in question, as at least two come to mind I do not like at all. I also think Front Mission was their most consistently high quality series through its run, assuming you are like me and consider Scars the end of the main series. There are also the Tri-Ace titles, pretty much all of which I have, at the very least, enjoyed, but Valkyrie Profile 1 and 2 and SO 1 and 3 in particular I absolutely adore, both for their interesting worlds and mechanics.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, the Chrono games and Xenogears definitely stand out, among others. It is a shame we get less and less of stuff like that nowadays.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I don't have many series outside of FF that I play regularly, let alone SE stuff. But I enjoyed Tomb Raider (2013?) and wouldn't mind playing the newer Tomb Raider games that have come out since. Not so bothered about the other stuff. They don't really have much of note outside of those series, to be fair. I guess I played and enjoyed the first chapter of Life is Strange and I also found Murdered: Soul Suspect to be decent, if not amazing.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

For the most part, I'm a pretty big fan of several side series by Squenix, and depending on the console generation, I would honestly say several of this games are often better than their mainstream outings at the time.

Chrono is one of my favorite series, and it's a shame only three titles ever came out of the franchise. Mana is a franchise I will always have a soft spot for because it was the series that got me into JRPGs to being with, and there are only a handful I haven't played. Front Mission is another that's been pretty sweet, though I need to get better with my completion track record on these titles so I can finally hunt down FM5 and enjoy it.

Parasite Eve started off good, but probably should have been a solo title, while Threads of Fate should have had a sequel. I'm still rather sentimental for Brave Fencer Musashi as it was one of my favorite efforts by Square on the PS1 until I got my grubby hands on Tactics and Xenogears. Bushido Blade may not be a five star series for me, but is definitely one of the more interesting fighting game series to come out of Square It was better than Tobal No.1 for sure. Einhander was a pretty slick side-shooter that I am still baffled by the fact it's never been re-released ever, even as just a PS1 CLassic on PSN.

Xenogears is easily my favorite non-FF title made by Square, and caused me to jump over to Namco for the early PS2 era, before I found my home with Atlus. The World Ends With You is also pretty awesome and one of my favorite handheld games of all time.

I've been dabbling in SaGa lately, and having a blast. It helps that SaGa has a lot of key developers from Mana helping out as games like Legend of Mana and SaGa Frontier 2 have mostly the same development teams barring a few people. I've even been playing a bit of Treasure of Rudra from time to time.

There are a few more SNES era titles I still need to play as well.

On the Enix side, it's a little less joyful. I enjoyed E.V.O. The Search for Eden and Robotrek, but not to the extent that they are fan favorites. I've yet to try out the Soul Blazer series outside of Illusion of Gaia which itself is kind of an odd duck. Star Ocean is a franchise I like less and less with each entry I play. It's gotten to the point where I consider SO2 to be just a fluke with me. Valkyrie Profile is another I never could quite get into, but I feel I need to give it another chance. In fact, I feel my tune for all of these Enix titles would change if I sat down and replayed most of them. The sole exception being Drakengard which has an interesting cast and story, and little else to entice me.

The Eidos side of things has rarely intrigued me outside of perhaps Blood Omen/Soul Reaver.

You've never played Soul Blazer??? It's my perpetual vote for Most Underrated SNES Game.

Anyway I love a few, like Soul Blazer (obviously) and Actraiser and Sleeping Dogs. And Deus Ex is owned by them now, and the new Tomb Raider games are pretty decent. And surely many others.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    You've never played Soul Blazer??? It's my perpetual vote for Most Underrated SNES Game.
    Just kind of missed the boat on it is all. I'll probably play it eventually if I can find a copy since I kind of want to acquire most of the JRPGs released on the SNES eventually.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Yeah, you know how much I vouch for a Threads of Fate sequel.