Thread: Favorite Boss Battle in every FF game.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Chocobo Favorite Boss Battle in every FF game.

What it says on the tin, of all the boss battles within each FF which ones were your absolute favorite. Simply list one boss per FF you've played. Side games count as well.

FF1. Garland. Knock you all down.

FF2. Maybe Land Turtle because he was one of the easiest ones ? lol.

FF3. Same thing as FF2. The easy Land Turtle.

FF4. Calcabrina. Just because of the music.

FF5. Any fight with Gilgamesh.

FF6. Atma Weapon.

FF7. One Winged Angel Sephiroth.

FF8. Jumbo Cactuar. Who doesn't love a big fella with a handsome moustache ?

FF9. Final battle with Kuja. Just feels like a epic showdown.

FF10. Yunalesca.

FF10-2. Shuyin. I suppose ?

FF12. Dr Cid. Awesome villian.

FF13 & FF15. idk.

FF13-2. Caius.

Crisis Core. Even though I hate this game, the battle with Zack and Sephiroth was a-maaaaz-ing.

FFI: Garland
    FFIV: Rubicante
    FFIV The After Years: The fight with the Mysterious Girl when Leviathan is freed
    FFV: Gilgamesh
    FFVI: Atma Weapon
    FFVII: One Winged Angel Sephiroth
    Crisis Core FFVII: Sephiroth
    FFVIII: Ultimecia
    FFIX: The last one with Kuja
    FFX: The last one with Seymour
    FFXII: Judge Gabranth
    FFXIII: Odin
    FFXIII-2: Caius
    FFXIII Lightning Returns: Bhunivelze
    FFXV: Leviathan

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

FF: Rematch with the Four Fiends - Largely because it's unexpected, you're just walking along the Chaos Shrine and the BAM! Lich appears and he's stronger than before. Made the dungeon a bit more eerie as you never knew if that next random encounter was going to be a normal trash mob or a souped up Fiend.

FFII: Emperor Mateus - They did a great job making this fight feel like the final one. You're traveling through the Cyclone trying to stop the mad emperor and have this pretty cool battle against him and an entourage of monsters and soldiers while he pelts you with magic. Made it surprising when you get betrayed by Leon afterwards and even more so when the Emperor returns...

FFIII: Doga and Unei - One of the few battles that has a bit more bite to it in the DS version since guest characters would randomly appear to help you. Not only do you know how powerful they are, the sting of knowing you have to fight two people who really helped you out made this a surprisingly sentimental battle. Being a tough battle also helps.

FFIV: Golbez - This was actually a tough one to choose. My secondary choice was the rematch against the Four Archfiend and I even considered the Dark Elf as well, but Golbez edges them out by not only feeling like a hopeless battle at first, but bringing back fan favorite Rydia all grown up and cementing Summoners as the fan favorite class. This got taken up to eleven in the DS remake as Golbez is quite possibly one of the hardest fights in the game for me with his magic upgraded from Level 2 to 3, and his elemental barrier wall strategy. It made it nearly impossible to revive the party and instead ended up with Rydia playing to Golbez's game while Cecil did everything in his power to keep them both alive. The fact Cecil is not a great white mage made this fight way more tense than most FF battles.

FFV: Gilgamesh - I mean come on, it's hard fighting against a guy who makes you laugh who can also kick your ass if you go in unprepared. His first few battles are pretty tense, but his two outstanding encounters is when he pulls the iconic Excalipur on you after transforming into a kickass super form, as well as the final encounter with him against Necrofiend where he sacrifices his life to save the party. There is a reason he's such an iconic frenemy, and the archetype for future quirky underlings/side villains.

FFVI: Kefka (Narshe Mines) - This was another game with too many fun bosses, but I kind of have to give this to the first encounter with Kefka. Not only is the whole "protect the esper" scenario pretty groovy, but Kefka is also the first real boss in the game who will test how well you know your party. With that said, he's probably the easiest encounter on this list if you know what you're doing, but again, that requires either some trial and error or having a friend explain it to you. A team of Celes with your best hard hitting characters, likely Gau, Sabin, and Edgar will crush him, but if you try to challenge Kefka without Celes' Runic ability, you'll be in for a world of hurt as he uses Confusion to turn your party against each other and introduces Ice 2 to you.

FFVII: The Turks (Final) - There are several fun encounters in VII, but none stand out for me as much as the battles against Cloud's frenemy troupe The Turks. The best battle is against the last three active members underneath Midgard during the climax of Disc 2. Not only can they take and dish out some real damage, but it's fun delaying the battle in order to steal their rare items off of them. It was also cool to find out Elena is a pretty competent fighter after being a helpless NPC for most of the game.

FFVIII: Seifer -Nothing more fun than watching Squall duel his rival before taking on Edea. I kind of wish all of the battles with him had been setup this way cause Seifer never quite comes across as challenging after the first battle with him. He's a real test of how well you know the game's mechanics. Course it can be anti-climatic if you obtained Lionheart already...

FFIX: Steiner and the Big Bomb - Certainly one of the easier fights on this list but also one of the most satisfying after the fun cat and mouse chase in the game's rambunctious beginning.

FFX: Braska's Final Aeon - This one was tough cause I don't really care for the game, but the music and pageantry of this fight makes it stand out above the rest. It can be a bit anti-climatic if you bothered to do any of the side content before facing Sin, but I like to drag this fight out a bit so I can listen to Overworld more.

FFXII: Ultima The High Seraph - The Espers are some of the best fights, especially the optional ones that add conditions to crank up the challenge, but none will test your skill and ability to plan ahead like Ultima who has the ability to cycle through all of their conditions at a whim, making this the ultimate endurance match. Throw in the fact Holyja has the ability to inflict Reverse on you and you've got your hands full. No other battle in the game is as fulfilling to me as this one.

FFXIII: Proud Clod - Probably the only fight that gave me trouble until I realized what I was doing wrong, and not because I felt the game sort of just cheated me out of victory *cough* Barthandelus *Cough*. I initially went in with a SAB character like Fang and no SYN. Well XIII decided to be realistic and show that machines can't really have status ailments. I tried to keep her for DPS but honestly I ended up switching out Snow for Hope and used his SYN to finally give my team the edge needed to win pretty soundly after I stopped being stubborn about using him.

FFXV: Aranea - If XV has anything going for it with it's major boss battles it's that they all posses a bit of a cinematic flair. Before it all goes DBZ with the Leviathan fight, one of the coolest battles is against Dragoon Mercenary Aranea who uses the trademark Jump ability to wreck havoc on the guys. Course this fight gets really interesting when Noctis remembers he can teleport spam and suddenly he's fighting her in the air as well in what feels like an epci duel and prelude for the final boss battle. Being one of the more fun characters also helps to cinch this fight for her.

Blog Entries

FFI: Chaos, because it really was a fun challenge for me. And that satisfaction after beating him too! Whew! Keep in mind I beat the NES version first, so it was no cakewalk.
    FFII: Borghen is a love-hate kind of deal for me. It stands out the most to me because following this boss battle is a kind of upsetting scene :/
    FFIII: Pretty much all of the Summon bosses. Though Odin kind of sucked...
    FFIV: I never finished this, but Rubicante sure has swagger.
    FFV: Gogo. Gogo? ....Yeah, Gogo.
    FFVI: Doomtrain, because you know.... Sabin.... I'm sure you get it.
    FFVII: Lost Number, though not quite so much for just the battle... but for the puzzle leading up to it and then the battle. SO satisfying.
    FFVIII: Ok, this is a weird one, but hear me out... The Propagators. That was the most out-there part of the game (quite literally) and everything about the Ragnarok will forever be a staple for me.
    FFIX: ok, here's where it gets hard to choose. I'm gonna go with Ozma though, because, like Lost Number in FFVII, the sidequests leading up to it combined with the battle itself is such a good mix.
    FFX: Yunalesca was a neat little bit of the story for me. Could have done without all the characters chucking in cheesy lines before the battle, but it really was a good mix of high-strung emotions, a challenging battle, and a lead-up to the climax of the game. ...And also Yunalesca is voiced by the same lady as Nagi from Tenchi Universe and I'll never get over that.

Not gonna go anywhere past FFX. I played the others, but didn't enjoy them enough to let them be on this list.
    Last edited by Black Magic Shopkeeper; 04-26-2018 at 08:34 PM.

FF1: Lich 1 -- I generally try to push my way through the early game as quickly as possible and Lich is always a bit of a stressful fight after pushing through the Earth Cave at a low level, which I love him for. Doesn't usually kill me, but sometimes man, sometimes that first turn ICE 2 REALLY gets me down.

FF2: Borghen 2 -- Someone in hell hated him enough to stuff his corpse in a box, and that is funny to me. Too funny to not be my favorite boss in the game even.

FF3: Odin -- He's a great first bonus boss find, especially when he decides to horribly murder you. I dig it.

FF4: Plague Horror -- I love the idea of this boss, even if he is super easy.

FF5: Shinryu -- Not many things in this series are better than opening a random treasure box at the end of the game and instantly dying to a tidal wave. Love it.

FF6: Uhhh . . . probably Ultima Weapon. I generally play the game low level without espers and he is a hell of a fight when almost everything he does can kill a character. He really keeps you on your toes and I almost always look forward to the fight.

FF7: Lost Number, for the reason Shopkeeper mentioned above.

FF8: X-ATM. I love everything about it: trying to dodge it, trying to fight it, watching it get machinegunned down. All of it! 10/10, best mech spider boss, would fight again.

FF9: Ozma. I may not like unlocking the fight, but I do like the fight itself, especially the quirks of its ATB. Also love that whole sometimes it party wipes me and I can't do anything about it thing.

FFX: Ugh . . . Nemesis, maybe?

FF12: Me and my habit of constantly attacking Wild Saurions.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I want to change my choice from VIII to X-ATM as well, that whole sequence is pure magic.