Thread: New Here! Huge Final Fantasy Music fan here!

Boco New Here! Huge Final Fantasy Music fan here!

Hey everyone! Long time reader and first time posting on here.

I'm really into Final Fantasy music and I'm surprised by the lack of Video Game music discussion/posts and the lack of music covers and arrangements that are featured here. Final Fantasy music is just so incredible and I love seeing talented musicians performing and arranging the classic music in interesting ways.

I just discovered this stunning piano arrangement of Flowers Blooming in the Church from Final Fantasy VII and it inspired me to continue my search for some more beautiful Final Fantasy covers.

P.S Just downloaded the sheet music for this, but I feel like it's going to take forever to play. lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4LRxUMLkno

What are your favorite Final Fantasy music covers/arrangements/remixes?

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Hello, a long time ago we used to have a much larger music selection, but they had to be taken down, along with roms, when Square Enix' legal department sent us a letter. I also enjoy a lot of the music, though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hey, welcome to the forums!

It’s not really a remix per se, but I did contribute some music to Psychotic’s EoFF game, if that counts. Check it out - it should still be around here somewhere!

Other than that, most of the music discussions happen on Discord nowadays, where I’m all too happy to be snobbish about my musicopinions with everyone else

As for favorite arrangements - I’m usually far more into official stuff rather than fan works, though I still appreciate those. The Piano Opera are pretty much my favorite FF piano arrangements, though I still think I marginally prefer the KH piano collections for their sheer level of artistry. And then there’s the incredibly jazzy FFXII piano collection which is my favorite of the FF arrangement albums with that particular subtitle.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Welcome to the EoFF forum, Breadman5050!

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Welcome!

Sorry that you're disappointed at the lack of discussion around music, but I do know we have a lot of fans of the music of Final Fantasy. Just means you can post up lots of fun discussion around the topic!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

So I have to ask, how would you rank the FF soundtracks against each other?

I like bits and pieces of every FF OST, but I do have some favorites. I have a severe nostalgic attachment to VII but if I'm being objective I think VI, IV and IX are my favorites. Melody is extremely important to me and those have my favorite character and location themes in the series. I really like the OST to FFX and I think VIII doesn't get the credit it deserves in terms of the quality of its soundtrack.

I'm honestly not a huge fan of the scores to XIII or XV. There are some select pieces I enjoyed, but nothing that really did much for me musically.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    So I have to ask, how would you rank the FF soundtracks against each other?