Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: “I could care less”

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default “I could care less”

Do you use this expression?

I rarely get involved with the whole English/American English debate these days. I find the evolution of language fascinating. Some words have different meanings in different countries and that is absolutely fine.

But the expression is “I couldn’t care less”... meaning that you are at the lowest amount of caring.

I’m sick of seeing these incredible American movies and TV shows ruined by one of the characters saying “I could care less”.

No. Stop it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I usually say "I could hardly care less". Used to be a "could care less"er myself tho, even knowing how the sentence is completely opposite to its intended meaning that way.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I could care less about this tbh

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

'I couldn't care less' is a phrase I use a good bit. Melts people who want to rub in a victory playing online and saying that just takes the fun out of it for them. xD

Str8 Pimpin'

"Irregardless" is another one that bugs me. No, sorry that is not a word, you mean to say regardless.

The thing is though, you're telling somebody that you don't care, so at heart you do care, otherwise you wouldn't of said anything.

Whenever someone says "I could care less" to me in real life I have to stop the conversation in order to clarify what they mean. "Are you saying you don't care at all? Or are you saying that you actually care somewhat? Or are you aware of the ambiguity implicit in that phrase and are thus using it ironically in order to be deliberately ambiguous?"

Yeah usually I'm all let and let live when it comes to language mistakes and differences in dialect, but this one actively hinders communication so it's kind of failing at being language.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I can see how "I could care less" could mean "I don't care", which is the point of both sayings, but I do know that "I could care less" is wrong.

I don't see "I could care less" as "I could care", despite that being everyone's go-to explanation as to why it's the wrong phrase - which it is. I can see it as "I could care less than I do" meaning "I don't care, but I could really not care even more" or something. The fact that the "less" is there stops either looking like "I could care" to me. So I could see "I couldn't care less" to mean "I don't care at all", and "I could care less" to mean "I could care even less than I already do", and both, thusly to mean "I don't care".

So yeah, I know it's wrong... I did used to use it out of spite though, for the above reason (basically saying it doesn't have to be wrong, it could just be another meaning.)

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I mean, we all know that "I could care less" doesn't make sense in the way it's used. But we know that they MEAN "I couldn't care less", so I don't think it's a big deal.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post
    I mean, we all know that "I could care less" doesn't make sense in the way it's used. But we know that they MEAN "I couldn't care less", so I don't think it's a big deal.
    YES IT IS. YOU SHUSH.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

But could you care less?
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    But could you care less?
    I could, in fact, care less. Seeing as I'm talking about the issue, clearly I care about it a little, so the amount I care could be lower than it is.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Sometimes I care about something too much, so I use this phrase to motivate myself to be indifferent to it. Checking the forums when I should be taking my newborn up to bed? I could care less about this thread. Come on, care less!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum