Thread: Complex Games

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Cookie Complex Games

This is going into the RPG forum due to this genre probably being the most egregious example of this phenomena.

What are your thoughts on complex battle/customization/gameplay mechanics? Do you enjoy them or are you the type who prefers when a came keeps it simple? What is the most complex game you've ever played?

I find if a game's leveling or customization system is too complex, I get a bit overwhelmed. I'm not a fan of being asked to level a character manually with a whole bunch of stats that are unclearly explained without an online FAQ. If a game is challenging, that's one thing, but if you're unclear of what you're doing without researching the best way to level up, that's another. I can understand how people might have fun experimenting with those types of systems, but I'm probably not one of those people.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think there’s definitely merit to both approaches. Though in the end, a system that’s both complex and well-executed is far more rewarding and memorable than a well-executed but simple system (I.e. Vagrant Stiry). Of course, that doesn’t mean the latter is by any means easy to pull off.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The funny thing I've learned lately on the subject matter is that I generally prefer complex games that hide their complexity. I don't like jumping into games that wear their complexity on their sleeves, instead I prefer jumping into a game that seems really simple only to discover halfway through I've been playing it wrong. Vagrant Story and Dark Souls are wonderful examples of games that have a lot more going under the hood than you first perceive. Other games like this are the SaGa titles, Legend of Mana, and most of Matsuno's games.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    This is going into the RPG forum due to this genre probably being the most egregious example of this phenomena.

What are your thoughts on complex battle/customization/gameplay mechanics? Do you enjoy them or are you the type who prefers when a came keeps it simple? What is the most complex game you've ever played?
    Just popping in here to say that I love the word 'egregious' and I appreciate you using it, WK. I love the fact that the definition of the word is something that is 'Outstandingly bad; Shocking'. However, the archaic definition is something regarded as 'Remarkably Good'. Bonkers!

On topic: As much as I can appreciate a well-designed, complex system, I don't necessarily enjoy it. As much as I love RPGs in can stop me in my tracks if I can't work out how to properly play it. I much prefer focusing on the story and a steep learning curve can really get in the way of my progression.

As long as I'm not massively penalized for not doing something a certain way or not figuring out something that isn't obvious, I enjoy them. I like customization, although that isn't to say I don't enjoy simple RPGs either.

I hate how Disgaea plays and pretty much everything from that development team because of how much unnecessary shenanigans they put into battle mechanics. And yet I adore Divinity Original Sin for the very same thing. Difference is that one adds to the enjoyment. The other is usually just colorful pointless nonsense