Thread: Video Game Hall of Fame

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Default Video Game Hall of Fame

Following on from this thread about Final Fantasy 7 being inducted into the VG Hall of Fame, I thought we could open up discussion about this!

What game(s) would you like to see inducted to such a collection, and why?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

What's the criteria? Does a certain amount of time need to pass before a game can be considered?

Horizon Zero Dawn should be there, if not.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    What's the criteria? Does a certain amount of time need to pass before a game can be considered?

And why would it deserve such a place?

Didn't realize there was a Hall of Fame. The Last of Us is easily one of the most deserving games if it's not already on there

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post

And why would it deserve such a place?
    I'm not telling you until I know whether or not it is eligible

In baseball, you have to wait five years after you've retired to be eligible for the Hall of Fame. If that was the case then The Last of Us is eligible this year! Definite shoe-in. Huge leap forward for story-telling in gaming.

I think Maniac Mansion deserves entry because it was the origin of "cut-scene" as a term.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

There is no eligibility clause. The game could have come out yesterday and based on your comments would be entered into the Hall of Fame.

So dammit just give me a why

For a 'Hall of Fame' kinda thing I don't think just being very very very good is good enough. I think you have to change the paradigm in someway or become an icon for generations or something like that.

For example: Tomb Raider 3 is probably a better game than Tomb Raider 1. But the latter is what I would nominate for a Hall of Fame entry. By that token, I'd say Call of Duty 4 earns a spot, but Shadow of the Colossus does not.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Horizon Zero Dawn is a perfect combination of many previously successful titles... all knitted together with a truly original story.

It has the foraging and stealth elements of The Last of Us, rich world & the conversation options of the Mass Effect series, the enjoyable parkour of the Uncharted series, levelling and customisation of a good Final Fantasy game and excellent and diverse missions and side quests like Red Dead Redemption.

It also has a charismatic, non-sexualised female lead which is very refreshing to see.

Theres your “Why” Shauna. Happy now?
    Last edited by Bubba; 05-15-2018 at 03:04 PM.

I tend to be thinking along the lines of Fox; being hall of fame material is less about being good and more about leaving a mark on history. The way the think of it a Hall of Fame collection for games is a series of games you play to see how the medium evolved.

Like, as much as I love Horizon Zero Dawn, it comes after such a huge trek of open world after open world game that I struggle to see its historical importance. Elder Scrolls and/or Grand Theft Auto, by comparision, seem to be much more pertinent popularizers of open-world and I imagine Grand Theft Auto 3 was inducted for that reason.

My recommendations:

Metal Gear Solid 1. One of the most important games to push the idea games and tightly scripted stories can mix, as well as arguably being a popularizer of stealth.

Dragon Quest. I feel like I don't need to explain this one: it made JRPGs popular and codified a lot of gameplay RPG tropes.