Thread: Free Enterprise

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Free Enterprise

So...someone made a Final Fantasy IV randomizer. It's based off the US "Final Fantasy II" release, so if you want to try it have that ROM handy. The link below will take you to a page where you can generate a randomized ROM. You can actually control the levels of customization. I just chose "Balanced" since I wanted a healthy mix of randomization. It's really best to let the website explain, but...

My party is Yang, Rosa, Kain, Palom, and Cid. I went to the first dungeon just to mess around (also, chest pickups are randomized). Expect to fight Shadow Dragon. Oh wait, bosses are randomized with my settings and Asura is staring me down. All this was accomplished in under an hour.

Have fun!

https://www.ff4-free-enterprise.com/

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I beat a run like two days after this post lol.

Anyway, I also played most of a second run (I'll probably finish it randomly some Sunday afternoon). You can blow through the game very fast since you get tons of experience. If someone is at a low level any random fight will shoot their levels up like 20 or 30 something. They also modded the game that if someone is low leveled they'll get bonus experience to catch up to the party faster.

Anyway, in my first run I ended up with the default party at the end of the game. I mean, the game does sort of favor that party since the story leads to them being the peeps the beat the creeps. I think Yang could possibly sort of hang tough with that crowd if I kicked Edge out. Oh, Cid can smurfing equip the Dragoon armor. Yeah, since all treasures are randomized (in the settings I chose at least) you can get pretty crazy things from time to time. All the special items are mixed up where events happen. For example, you can get the Luca Key for exchanging the Rat Tail that you got from Yang's wife.

I am so sorry I am rambling. This is my favorite game of all time (I am fully aware of my rose tinted glasses) so this is sort of like crack to me. Not so much of playing it (I do plan on seeing what other settings are like, or maybe even livestreaming/archiving stream a run with the same settings I had with my first run. I have a real troutty laptop, though. I once streamed Link to the Past randomizer and beat the game in one sitting in about six and a half hours.

I totally had a bad day at work and I'm still smurfed up from it a bit.

So yeah, just how everything is out of place and how this mod was cleverly steamlined. All events are altered and straight to the point (usually cutting out all dialogue entirely). This mod was built for speed running/speed running races, but my casual playthrough where I took my time still worked.

Despite this being my favorite game, I was skeptical if a randomizer mod for such an older RPG would work, but they surprisingly pulled it off.

I also just farted.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well happy to hear they made a good mod for the game. I may have to check it out sometime.