• Portugal (i.e. Ronaldo)

0 0%
  • Belgium

0 0%
  • Someone else

3 27.27%
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 World Cup Thread

French have a powerful looking team, at least on paper. We'll see how they are on the pitch. I voted "someone else" and I think that someone else could be Croatia. Pretty damn strong starting 11 when you look at it.
    I'm blown away by the helpful web hosting advice on Hostimonials so check it out.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'd be happy if England got as far as the quarters before we inevitably get seen off by the Germans. It'd be nice to get through the groups and win at least one knockout game. I can't even remember when we last won one of those...

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I'd be happy if England got as far as the quarters before we inevitably get seen off by the Germans. It'd be nice to get through the groups and win at least one knockout game. I can't even remember when we last won one of those...
    v Ecuador (second round, 2006). I think that and the second round match against Denmark in 2002 are the only knockout games England have won in the World Cup or the Euros since Euro 96.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

My rooting interests, in no particular order:

Senegal, South Korea, Japan, Egypt, Iceland

Definitely want them to not win:

England, France, Mexico, Portugal, Spain, Germany, Belgium

Everyone else falls somewhere in between.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    My rooting interests, in no particular order:

Senegal, South Korea, Japan, Egypt, Iceland

Definitely want them to not win:

England, France, Mexico, Portugal, Spain, Germany, Belgium

Everyone else falls somewhere in between.
    Curious for your reasoning for backing / disliking each of these, if you're willing to offer! I can hazard a few guesses but some of them I'm not so certain on, particularly Mexico and Belgium.

Sadly I don't think your rooting interests will win it, but it would be amazing if they did and I'm sure the entire world would enjoy it!
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Of course my rooting interests will not win, if they might win they wouldn't be my rooting interest any longer.

Mexico is the rival country of the country I would normally root for, so of course I am not rooting for them.

Belgium is just slightly too favored, although it'd be better than all those other perennial powers like Spain/Germany/Italy (if they were qualified)/etc. And I don't like Courtois or Fellaini, and they eliminated the US from the last World Cup.

Here we go, prediction time! It's wide open though I think the heavyweights are left standing at the end with a few big upsets mixed in.

Group A:
    Uruguay
    Egypt
    Russia
    S. Arabia

Top heavy group, but, if Salah doesn't play the first game, that probably decides first from second. Uruguay are my darkhorse team in this tournament

Group B:
    Spain
    Portugal
    Iran
    Morocco

Also very top heavy though Iran could sneak up on someone. Spain look like a dominate team at this point in the draw...

Group C:
    France
    Peru
    Denmark
    Australia

France clear cream of the crop and it'll be a dragout fight for second place. I think Peru is inspired by their talisman returning to the roster and have been battle tested in qualifying.

Group D:
    Argentina
    Croatia
    Iceland
    Nigeria

Argentina clear favorites here and though I'd love another Iceland upset, I think after their run in the Euros, they won't sneak up on anyone this time. Croatia has a strong core as well and could surprise.

Group E:
    Brazil
    Switzerland
    Costa Rica
    Serbia

Brazil are firm favorites here too but the 2nd team could be any of the others. Serbia are a team in turmoil at the top and Costa Rica has trouble scoring so Switzerland should sneak in with all those crazy X factor named players.

Group F:
    Germany
    Mexico
    Sweden
    S. Korea

Ho, hum, Germany advance. It's what they do. Mexico clear second best team in this group too, though it would have been interesting to see what Zlatan could have done.

Group G:
    Belgium
    England
    Tunisia
    Panama

If England could find a way to draw Belgium, they might be able to top this group. However, I think they have just too much firepower for England to keep up with. Still, a good second place is enough to advance and keep the locals somewhat happy.

Group H:
    Senagal
    Columbia
    Poland
    Japan

The true toss-up group. Any one of the top 3 could finish anywhere with Japan, though talented, still lacking overall. Poland is the most overtly reliable on one player though and should Lewandowski not fire, the team won't advance.

Knockout Round:

Uruguay over Portugal - a real rock fight. I expect 2 red cards and maybe 6 yellows. The winner of this game has a real shot to go far in the World Cup. I think Uruguay is just a bit more balanced.

Egypt over Spain - KARMA.

France over Croatia - Croatia are a dangerous team but France has just too much firepower for them to keep up with.

Argentina over Peru - The fairytale ends here for Peru.

Brazil over Mexico - Brazil comes here with a point to prove and they keep the train running on a collusion course with revenge.

Germany over Switzerland - Insert Swiss neutral joke. Germany advance.

Belgium over Columbia - Could be a real firecracker of a match but I think Belgium have so much talent they win out here.

England over Senegal - Could just as easily see England slip up here but they find a win to grind out a 1-0 win with someone else scoring but Harry Kane claiming it.

Quarterfinals:

France over Uruguay - This could all change if Uruguay comes in at full strength. However, I just feel like they will be undermanned and not be able to keep up with France's attack.

Argentina over Egypt - My heart wants Egypt BADLY. But my head still knows that actual Messi is better than new Messi. What a run this would be for Egypt though.

Brazil over Belgium - Game of the tournament, hands down. First team to 4 goals wins.

Germany over England - Germany. Advance. On. Penalties.

Semi-finals:

Brazil over France - Brazil will be desperate to avenge the last semifinal it was in and they will take the game to France. This could be another first to 4 goals game.

Argentina over Germany - A lot of this result would be based on the draw Argentina has. Playing Peru and Egypt would leave them with just more left in the tank at this point.

Final:

Argentina over Brazil - Brazil will have gone through a gauntlet to get to the final and while they have the guns and talent to win, Messi (and Argentina) finds a way and wins the one trophy that has been eluding him.

Golden Ball: Messi, Neymar or Griezmann

Golden Boot Winner: Messi, Neymar or darkhorse Timo Werner

Breakout Player: Goncalo Guedes, the "New" Ronaldo of Portugal.

Here's hoping for great games, upsets and no big injuries.

Take care all. Allez, allez, allez!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by The Captain View Post
    Germany over England - Germany. Advance. On. Penalties.
    That's giving England way too much credit for me.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I don't know, now that England play 5 at the back I can see us grinding out some boring as hell 0-0's.

Would England getting to the QF be deemed a success by their fans?

I rate that for Brazil, Argentina, France and Germany nothing but the title is acceptable.

Then for Belgium, Spain, Portugal and Uruguay, making the final is acceptable.

For every other team, advancing to the knockout rounds would be a success.

But England.... what really are their ambitions?

Take care all.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

England fans will probably be ecstatic if they made the QFs considering how the last decade or so has gone for them
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Yeah, making the QFs would be fantastic. The media and the knobheads who call into radio talk shows will still say it's a disgrace though, and Raheem Sterling will be burned at the stake.

Quarter Finals would be progress for England.
    YE RAGIN', AYE?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Imagine if Portugal won the World Cup? Ronaldo, already the greatest player in history, will never be touched for the rest of time.

Ronaldo, already the greatest player in history except for the fact that he has a contemporary who is better than him.