• Someone else

3 27.27%
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 World Cup Thread

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Messi & Ronaldo: The greatest two players to ever play football and never score in a world cup knockout game. Bizarre!

I was going for France and Portugal. Uruguay were delicious when attacking but apparently didn't know how to attack unless they weren't winning. It reminded me of watching Manchester United's season, just sitting with 10 men behind the ball the moment they're in front despite having such good attacking options. Frustrating to watch. Portugal were like the other half of United - they were great at getting into the final third and didn't quite know what to do once they go there. Complete opposite of the game earlier in the day when neither side gave a crap if they were in front, it was non-stop attack from both sides and could go down as the best game of the World Cup.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Today's games were wonderful. You sort of have that expectation in knock out tournament football that you're going to get a tight, nervy affair but these were anything but.

I guarantee that if Portugal and Argentina qualify for Qatar 2022, Messi and Ronaldo will both be there. Quote this post in four years if I'm wrong and mock me.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Suarez should not have been given an assist for that lucky first goal. It was a clear shot that was going way wide. It’s a good job Uruguay have Cavani.

Also... (SPOILER)9A96B8C5-52BE-4238-8FB6-E2A2F096B837.jpeg

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I guarantee that if Portugal and Argentina qualify for Qatar 2022, Messi and Ronaldo will both be there. Quote this post in four years if I'm wrong and mock me.
    Yeah, I don't doubt it. Messi is a guarantee, 34 isn't the end of the world for him. Ronaldo 36 right? Doable considering how much he takes care of himself. The only thing that could change that for Messi in particular is that I suspect he may actually, permanently retire from internationals. Ronaldo wouldn't do that at all, but Messi has done it before temporarily, I wouldn't put it past him to just do it for good this time. We'll have to see what happens.

Ronaldo would be 37 and 3/4 years old at Qatar. It wouldn't surprise me if both Messi and Ronaldo were at Qatar but it would surprise me if they were both still Messi and Ronaldo, the best players in the world at the time.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Yeah, no chance of that.

For Messi I think a lot will depend on who the manager is. He definitely did not get along with the current one though I doubt he has the job much longer.

Ronaldo I could see being an impact sub by 2022 and wouldn’t put it past him to still have some magic in his boots.

Mbappe really put down a marker moving forward and especially if Cavini is badly hurt could take France all the way. I’m still amazed there were no red cards between Uruguay and Portugal.

Very interested to see what Croatia and Spain look like today and whether more Russian collusion is in the works.

Take care all.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I am very glad I opted to miss this game in favour of enjoying the sunshine at the botanical gardens. What I'm reading about the game makes it sound awful to watch.

Articles

Stop having Iago Aspas take important set pieces!

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Who needs collusion when you can have Spain passing about aimlessly for 120 minutes without trying to score
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Who needs collusion when you can have Spain passing about aimlessly for 120 minutes without trying to score
    Indeed. I lost count of the number of times I saw their players just walking, walking, as they passed between themselves.

Please let this be the last we ever see of Tiki Taka.

KARMA FOR SALAH.

Very conflicted right now because Russia just won me a lot of pools but this also means Putin is happy.

Take care all.

They should have brought Rodrigo on much earlier, he actually provided some pace. Awful strategy from the start. At least you expect Russia to be dull, they're a limited team. Spain have the talent to be much better.

Articles

And this means one of Russia, Croatia, Denmark, Sweden, Switzerland, Colombia or England will be in the World Cup final. Now that is smurfing exciting - not one of the usual suspects!

Calling it now, 1958 rerun.

Except this time, the star teenager who wins his team the World Cup is French