3 27.27%
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 378910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 World Cup Thread

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Not sure I'd rate Belgium and England as the most impressive teams so far seeing as all they've played are two of the worst teams in the tournament. Croatia look decent but I wouldn't be surprised if Denmark go and knock them out now the way these tournaments often go.
    Yeah, it's really pot luck at this point, most of the teams going through could easily knock each other out if one side forgets to turn up. And fair point regarding Tunisia/Panama being as poor as Egypt/Saudi Arabia when it comes to competition. Although Belgium/England did manage to perform much more dominantly than Uruguay. It remains to be seen what'll happen tonight but I'm hoping for a good game. Gutted Lukaku is out, would have been cool watching him face up to his United colleagues.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think that proves Danny Rose was never gonna be a first-team player.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Well what do you know, Adnan Januzaj DID turn out to be the greatest player of all time after all.

Wonder what Dani Pacheco is up to these days...

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

So... it’s Columbia with Falcao and (potentially) James Rodriguez. Our record is good against them but those stats are often misleading. I hope that loss hasn’t stopped any kind of momentum we had.

Also, there are no World Cup matches on today. What’s that sh*t all about?

Articles

They're good, but Quintero is scarier than both of them!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Belgium B vs. England B taught us a lot about nothing to do with the first choice teams. I would also have probably rested loads of players if I were England manager, but it does mean they're arguably (alongside Belgium) the least truly-tested side in the last sixteen now.

QF Predictions because, why not?

France V Argentina -

Something still doesn't seem right about France. They have all the attacking power in the world and should honestly be the favorites in a lot of ways. Maybe this is the game they put it all together? Or maybe, with the weight lifted (not really) off of Argentina's shoulders, they find a way to steal this game in extra time? That feels right. Argentina 2-1 in ET.

Uruguay V Portugal -

It's the dream matchup the world wants, Messi versus Ronaldo for a shot at the semi-finals, but someone forgot to tell Uruguay that. This team reminds me of some of the old Italian squads, score a goal, scrap and find a way to cross the finish line without conceding. I think Portugal do score, probably Ronaldo, but Uruguay get through them in the end. Their biggest concern is whether they can advance without a red card, as always. Uruguay 2-1.

Spain V Russia -

Call it a hunch. I think some kind of Putin inspired collusion is going to happen here as Russia beats Spain with a very dubious penalty called late. Spain seem very weak at the back as Morocco really opened them up just as Portugal had and I think if Russia really put themselves in the right position, they will be rewarded. Russia 3-2 in very suspicious fashion.

Croatia V Denmark -

The best team in the tournament so far has been Croatia. They have played the most complete games and seem the most balanced team overall. They take on a Denmark team that are fortunate France didn't want to play in the final game and can be beaten especially if Croatia finds a way to mark Eriksen. Croatia have not conceded from open play yet and I think that streak continues. Croatia 2-0

Brazil V Mexico -

My how fortunes can change with one game. Mexico went from looking like they could be a real darkhorse to literally carrying off South Korean fans after they were gifted a spot in the knockouts. Brazil still don't seem like they are putting it all together but I think they have just too much firepower. Brazil 3-1

Belgium V Japan -

Belgium are everyone's darlings for the last couple of tournaments but it might finally be justified. The squad is deep and has game-breakers all over the field. Japan will be disciplined, they will defend, and they SHOULD play Honda the whole 90 but probably won't and will lose 3-1.

Sweden V Switzerland

This might be the closest matchup to a toss-up in the round of 16. Both teams are cagey and Sweden really showed something by absolutely beating up on Mexico. Switzerland for their part proved they can hang with the big boys when they drew Brazil and I think another bit of Shaqiri magic seems them through in ET. 2-1 on ET for the Swiss.

England V Colombia

If James is healthy, this could prove a real challenge for England. Colombia have a team full of zest and creativity but James is what really binds them all together. Without him fully fit, which is likely, England actually look solid and resourceful enough to see this through. England 1-0

A day off to breathe and think about where LeBron goes next before diving right back in!

Take care all.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

France 1 - 1 Argentina (Argentina on penalties)
    Uruguay 1 - 2 Portugal
    Spain 3 - 0 Russia
    Croatia 1 - 0 Denmark
    Brazil 3 - 2 Mexico (AET)
    Belgium 3 - 0 Japan
    Sweden 0 - 2 Switzerland
    England 2 - 1 Columbia

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

France
    Portugal
    Spain
    Denmark
    Brazil
    Belgium
    Sweden
    Colombia
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

France 1 - 0 Argentina
    Uruguay 1 - 1 Portugal (Portugal on penalties)
    Spain 3 - 0 Russia
    Croatia 2 - 0 Denmark
    Brazil 2 - 1 Mexico
    Belgium 4 - 0 Japan
    Sweden 0 - 1 Switzerland
    England 2 - 2 Colombia (England on penalties... just for giggles)

Honestly I don't have a smurfing clue.

Articles

Can't wait for Uruguay to smash Portugal and for Suarez to prove once and for all that he is superior to Ronaldo. I look forward to Bubba breaking down in tears and desperately trying to throw shade at Suarez to hide his feelings of shame and inadequacy at the Uruguayan's now undisputed superiority to his idol.

Anyway France, Uruguay, Brazil, Belgium, Spain, Croatia, Sweden, England.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Can't wait for Uruguay to smash Portugal and for Suarez to prove once and for all that he is superior to Ronaldo. I look forward to Bubba breaking down in tears and desperately trying to throw shade at Suarez to hide his feelings of shame and inadequacy at the Uruguayan's now undisputed superiority to his idol.
    You forgetting about one thing ...thisF80DAA23-977D-45A7-861D-38A0A7550B4B.jpeg

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Not a bad start to the knockout stage
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles

Great fun! And two absolutely delicious goals. Somehow I think Uruguay v Portugal will not have as many goals...

Also, Mbappe. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Not a bad start to the knockout stage
    France has always been capable of this. If they’ve really put it together, watch out.

Also, what in Pele’s name was that starting lineup by Argentina? I almost feel like their manager wanted to be fired.

Take care all.