• Portugal (i.e. Ronaldo)

0 0%
  • Belgium

0 0%
  • Someone else

3 27.27%
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: 2018 World Cup Thread

Just to be clear we're talking about the Sweden coach who was in favor of his team's open statement against the racism directed against one of his non-white players of a different ethnic background, right?

The one who was upset at a German celebration that the Germans themselves apologized for and for which multiple officials of theirs were banned from the field for the next game?

Alright, seems fine to me. He seems to have done alright picking players considering the obliterated Mexico, beat South Korea, won their group (which was a very tough group), and won their round of 16 match so far.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

And they knocked out Holland and Italy in qualifying.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I don't doubt his ability as a coach at all. He's done amazingly well. I just don't like the guy. Wasn't aware the Germans apologised.

As for the racism thing, it's all hearsay for me, I just noticed it when I was checking out tweets about him after he was raging like an alcoholic at closing time at the ref. I've never seen the guy smile. Not my kinda guy. I don't have any real issue with the Swedish players, though - when watching their team in the matches I managed to watch, they didn't resonate with me on any level, so I only have my dislike of the coach to go on.

EDIT: Well, that and what Psy said.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I also thought it was interesting that you list Belgium's tiny size as one of the reasons for liking them, even though of the 7 other teams left, 3 have smaller populations than Belgium (a couple significantly smaller).

I, personally, want Belgium to lose because they have eliminated my primary rooting interest from each of the last two World Cups.

It might be recency bias but this really has been the most entertaining World Cup I can remember. We've had games of all sorts from a literal track meet in Argentina-France to the last goal wins wonderment of Belgium-Japan to the absolute rockfight that was England-Colombia.

I was fascinated by what Southgate said about practicing penalties, that he had his players TELL the goalie in training which way they were going to shoot ahead of time and then still had to make it. It really seemed like it paid off here. This group of relative underdogs might really have a chance to win this whole thing.

Neymar has always had a reputation of being about himself before the team and his theatrics definitely rankle. I watched the Brazil-Mexico game in a small bar that had no neutrals and even the Brazilian fans kind of smirked when Neymar "almost died" after being stepped on, on the sidelines. I may be biased but I only want Brazil to win it all if Bobby Firmino plays more. Otherwise, would not mind seeing another upset here.

Final four predictions?

Uruguay over France IF Cavani is healthy. If not, France wins a blowout, 3-1
    Brazil over Belgium unless Roberto Martinez learns his lesson and plays two holding midfielders. 2-1
    Croatia over Russia with the Putin caveat that anything can happen, 2-1
    England over Sweden 1-0 in ET because England can't have it easy.

Do we think Harry Kane will end up with the Golden Boot?
    Who do you think has been the player of the tournament so far? A lot of players to choice from.

Take care all.

France/Brazil/Croatia/England - though I'm most uneasy about the France prediction. Uruguay are pretty tough.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

My gut says it's going to be France, Brazil, Russia, Sweden. I hope I'm wrong and Brazil get given a lesson in how to win while playing fair, Croatia rediscover their form from the group stage which went out the window for the last game, same for England.

I'm aware there are smaller nations than Belgium, but I have more than just the one reason for liking them. Affinity with players, liking their style of play, stuff like that goes a long way.

Blog Entries

I think France will have too much for Uruguay who are a bit one dimensional. Brazil v Belgium could be a cracker and I would love it if the Belgians did a 7-1 on them, but they are the new Old Spain - massive chokers. Croatia should get past Russia fairly easily. I'm sorry, but the Russians are rubbish. Spain should have turned them over.

Why do England always seem to have a game against Sweden in major tournaments? I can't see them being tougher opposition than Colombia.

there was a picture here

Though I am sticking with my France prediction I think Brazil will be very tough to beat, they're basically the 2002 side all over again.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    Why do England always seem to have a game against Sweden in major tournaments?
    It's the European version of Argentina v Nigeria. World Cup 2002 was the best, putting all four in the same group.

I remember the days when England always used to get Poland in qualifying

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    Croatia should get past Russia fairly easily. I'm sorry, but the Russians are rubbish. Spain should have turned them over.
    Aye, but Croatia really didn't look themselves in their last game, nothing on the first two games they played superbly. If Croatia play like they did in the last sixteen against Russia, I can see Russia getting a jammy defensive result as they did against Spain.

I genuinely think every game could go either way, this World Cup has thrown a lot of expectations out of the window, from the reliability of Germany to England's penalties to, well, every expectation of Russia.

Russia weren't jammy against Spain because Spain barely bothered to attack them.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Russia weren't jammy against Spain because Spain barely bothered to attack them.
    That's true, but then it's also not like Russia bothered to do much attacking themselves either.

The new word on the street is Cavani is going to miss the game. That would be very unfortunate.