0 0%
  • Belgium

0 0%
  • Someone else

3 27.27%
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: 2018 World Cup Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    The new word on the street is Cavani is going to miss the game. That would be very unfortunate.
    No Cavini means we probably see a gameplan similar to Colombia against England. Lots of fouls, complaining and stoppages. Not how France like to play. But if they can hold their composure, they should find a way.

They still play a 3rd place game, right? Have a feeling that might factor into the Golden Boot.

Take care all.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Russia weren't jammy against Spain because Spain barely bothered to attack them.
    If Spain was toothless in attack, you could argue that is partially down to Russia playing with 10 men behind the ball at all times. If the attacks never came, you'd think most teams would start putting more pressure on the opposition to win the ball and attack back, but Russia didn't do much of that. They defended well, countering Spain's tactics to ensure they didn't get much to work with. I'm not praising Russia's tactics but they were effective at nullifying whatever Spain had using a 10 man defence. Croatia's win isn't secured yet.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Think either Begium or Brazil are favourites with Croatia and Uruguay behind them.
    YE RAGIN', AYE?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Cell View Post
    Think either Begium or Brazil are favourites with Croatia and Uruguay behind them.
    According to the bookies, the favourites order is...

Brazil
    France
    England
    Croatia
    Belgium
    Uruguay
    Russia
    Sweden

I'd pretty much agree with that for the most part. I still imagine England will screw it up somewhere on the way but perhaps that's just me being used to them struggling at knockout stages since I started watching football around 2002-ish.

I would put France above Brazil. Uruguay would be higher for me if they weren't playing France next, who will destroy them.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I would put France above Brazil. Uruguay would be higher for me if they weren't playing France next, who will destroy them.
    Nobody is destroying Uruguay. They have the best defence in the competition. France may grind out a win in the end but Uruguay aren't Argentina. I think it might go to extra time or penalties and France might very well be on the losing side.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

France didn't destroy Argentina either in fairness. If Ottamendi wasn't a moron it might have ended up 4-4!
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

I would rate Sweden above Russia. I'd put Uruguay higher with Cavani; without him, I think that's about right, and I think they will lose 1-0 to France. They certainly have a shot though.

I'd also switch Croatia and England in that list.

Very much laughed out loud watching this:

http://digg.com/video/kids-neymar-practice

It also begs the question, can someone repair their reputation after they've been a diver? Or no matter what, does that stay with them their whole career even if they seem to play more honorably as time goes on?

Take care all.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by The Captain View Post

It also begs the question, can someone repair their reputation after they've been a diver? Or no matter what, does that stay with them their whole career even if they seem to play more honorably as time goes on?

Take care all.
    I think it stays with you for the most part. The best example I can think of is Young, as when he was, er, young, he dived regularly. Whether or not people still think of him as a diver these days is what I'm unsure about. I'm a United fan and I don't recall him being a regular diver in the past season, but I'm sure opponents will have a better view of his current reputation and whether or not he "escaped" the diver reputation he earned by any degree.

Quote Originally Posted by The Captain View Post

Take care all.
    Everyone loves Bilic even though he got Laurent Blanc sent off in the World Cup semi-final. And though it's not the same as diving per se, Maradona and Thierry Henry are considered great footballers (except by idiots anyway).

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Should be noted being a diver and a great footballer aren't mutually exclusive. You can be known as a great footballer from the start of your career through to the end of it and still be known as a diver the entire time. I think Cap'n's more interested if you can "lose" the diver tag regardless of how good you are as a footballer.

I think most of footballer's greats are also widely regarded as divers, very much including Ronaldo. I've not seen nearly as much as Messi as I have Ronaldo but it seems calling Messi a diver gets a lot of people into a hot debate over whether he was and/or is a diver. As far as I'm concerned, diving is bad, but trying to get a player sent off through feigning injury is the worse. I grumble at diving but I genuinely hate feigning injury.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Nobody is destroying Uruguay. They have the best defence in the competition. France may grind out a win in the end but Uruguay aren't Argentina. I think it might go to extra time or penalties and France might very well be on the losing side.
    And of course Muslera would drop a bollock right after I said this. This World Cup has gone awfully for me and my predictions!

I was not expecting that. Brazil missed two great chances at 2-1, didn't even hit the target! Asterix v Tintin SF it is then.
    Last edited by charliepanayi; 07-06-2018 at 08:53 PM.

Articles

Belgium living up to their potential? What?!

I was right to add them to the poll!