• Portugal (i.e. Ronaldo)

0 0%
  • Belgium

0 0%
  • Someone else

3 27.27%
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 26789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 World Cup Thread

The best possible thing would be Ronaldo opening with a hat trick and Messi with a saved PK in a 1-1 draw to a defensively solid, lesser side, prompting all the pundits to say Ronaldo is the Greatest and Messi is the Worst; and then in the third game of each group, have Ronaldo with a saved PK in a 1-1 draw to a defensively solid, lesser side and Messi getting a hat trick.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

^^^ Scoring a great goal to bring your side through is good enough I think! What a finish by Rojo! Poor Nigeria. I have an affinity for teams that aren't Euro/South America in the WC, but as a neutral I'm happy seeing Argentina go through.

Str8 Pimpin'

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

If Brazil top their group and Germany finish second, then one half of the draw is looking a lot tougher than the other.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

The left hand side is stacked as it is. Either England or Belgium could have a much easier time getting to the semis depending on Thursdays result.

Str8 Pimpin'

While I'm sure everyone will love Ronaldo VERSUS Messi in the QF, both of them face some insanely tough Round of 16 matchups first. Uruguay played a real complete game against Russia and France is France, so talented but maybe not as good as sum of its parts? Those games could really go either way.

I really don't want to root for Russia but would love to see them knock out Spain. They are in Moscow so maybe some home cooking....

Croatia could be sitting pretty right now.

Take care all.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Germany out to a VAR goal? Frank Lampard sends his regards hahahahah this is the best world cup i love you korea you give them a jolly good thrashing

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Wasn't quite a thrashing until the very end, but oh boy was it nice to watch. Mostly because I wanted Mexico to go through (I greatly dislike Sweden's coach, gutted they won), but also because it's always awesome to see a big side go out early.

Was watching both games and it was hard to know which to keep an eye on, both really good games with lots to pay attention to.

I popped a vote for Germany before the WC began because I didn't know who would win and defaulted to Germany based on that - one of those rare occasions I'm delighted to have picked wrong. I'm still rooting for Belgium overall for the win but I doubt they'll do it. I just want someone a bit different to win rather than the France/Italy/Spain/Germany/Brazil/Argentina "one of them should win it really" group. Always nice to get a surprise. Fingers crossed, but I still do expect one of those six teams (well, four now) will probably end up on top.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

That was an exciting 10 minutes

Articles

Sorry BoB, Italy are gonna walk it.

What has become apparent is that the supposed gap between the have's and have-not's is not the same as it used to be. When you have the the teams made up of all the "world's best" players struggling to break down the likes of South Korea, Nigeria, Morocco, etc, it shows that anything is truly possible in this tournament. Also, do no bet on repeat winners.

Frankly, now I wouldn't be surprised if somehow Brazil found a way to lose as well since everything is so upside down. Who would we say is the favorite? I think Croatia have played the most complete tournament so far with Uruguay a close second.

Perhaps we should default to how the Simpsons predicted it: a Mexico- Portugal final.

https://deadline.com/2018/06/the-sim...eo-1202418026/

Take care all.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Croatia, Belgium and (oh my) England are the ones I'd say have played best so far. Uruguay won all their games but they haven't genuinely dominated anyone like you'd expect (only managing 1-0 against two of the weakest teams in the tournament while winning 3-0 in an all-but-dead-rubber against Russia) despite being in what is almost certainly the easiest group out there. It'll be interesting to see them play in the knockout rounds to see if they can continue to keep clean sheets against the best of the rest. Portugal first up for them...

I agree that the gap is definitely not what it used to be. I hope that continues in the knockout rounds and we'll get some awesome games.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Sorry BoB, Italy are gonna walk it.
    xD Literally in their dreams and only that. I did mention only four were still in it! But they are one of the usual six, even if they aren't in this World Cup, when it comes to "Well I guess it'll be one of them". I guess I just like an underdog, and those six are pretty much always the ... overdog... or something.

EDIT: Just realised it's France vs. Argentina so that is one less team in the quarter finals from the usual six too! Down to three potentials. Hell yeah.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Not sure I'd rate Belgium and England as the most impressive teams so far seeing as all they've played are two of the worst teams in the tournament. Croatia look decent but I wouldn't be surprised if Denmark go and knock them out now the way these tournaments often go.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Cell View Post
    Never look past ze chermans.
    Lol

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Articles

Bit insensitive to ask a dragon for the cross of St. George.