Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Franchise Killers

I will downgrade my 'FFXV is a franchise killer' to a personal remark if and when they announce FFXVI, and if it's not another MMO. Fair play to XIV, it's still plodding along, but the rest of the franchise is currently giving us... XV DLC and a VII remake that's in production hell. Just like all of Square Enix's flagship games seem to end up in these days. Gotta build that new engine each time, yo.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

XVI is inevitable. Despite people's gripes with XV, the game has been financially sound for Squenix despite all the problems it had with the older fans but that's been the same since even the game's heyday. Recent interviews in the last year have also been confirming my hunch that vXIII was never in any real development until the execs turned it to a numbered entry and handed it to Tabata, so honestly the turn around time for XV's development is not as bad as fans think it is, roughly four to five years as opposed to the ten most fans think it had. As it stands, the game has sold around seven million copies within two years. So honestly, despite fans wailing on it, and I understand this sentiment cause we all know I did the same with XIII, I can't fathom how SE would not see this game as a success.

I think the only reason why no one at SE is talking XVI yet is because the company is bogged down with too many high profile titles as it is. I feel once KHIII is released and SE has a better idea of the time table for the VIIR titles come out, will we see info about XVI. Then again, SE is having a special event for E3, I wouldn't be surprised if they end it with a reveal of XVI being worked on. Probably nothing but a logo to show for it and the revelation that Motomu Toriyama's team is working on it, but I can totally see SE announcing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I feel once KHIII is released and SE has a better idea of the time table for the VIIR titles come out, will we see info about XVI.
    "Once I win the lottery and get struck by a meteor - XVI is inevitable."

OK, OK, I joke but still. KHIII actually - against all odds - seem to be coming out at some point in the not incredibly distant future. But if I were you I'd hope the development and announcement of XVI is not at all dependent on the progress of VIIR, I have even less confidence in that coming out than in XVI.

Probably nothing but a logo to show for it and the revelation that Motomu Toriyama's team is working on it
    If the series isn't dead already, that'd do it.

One that I'd throw out would be Xenosaga Episode II. The forever and a day cut scenes, the strange battle system, the long slog of corridor running, all of it pretty much killed any hopes of a full 6 episode run for that series and honestly, kept me from playing Episode III even though I have heard it made improvements on Episode II.

Take care all.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I feel once KHIII is released and SE has a better idea of the time table for the VIIR titles come out, will we see info about XVI.
    "Once I win the lottery and get struck by a meteor - XVI is inevitable."

OK, OK, I joke but still. KHIII actually - against all odds - seem to be coming out at some point in the not incredibly distant future. But if I were you I'd hope the development and announcement of XVI is not at all dependent on the progress of VIIR, I have even less confidence in that coming out than in XVI.
    VII is a license to print money, Squenix can smurf it up all it wants and I'm sure the profits from just Episode 1 will be enough to cover the damages. I cannot imagine it not coming out, even if it takes them fifteen years and two console jumps, I believe it will be released cause it's just too financially sound not to.

Probably nothing but a logo to show for it and the revelation that Motomu Toriyama's team is working on it
    If the series isn't dead already, that'd do it.
    Ain't that the truth. Would kill my interest from the get go, but technically he's not doing anything really important at the moment, so he's the most likely candidate unless Kitase taps a new director. Tabata is working on a new project not connected to the mainline series as well as FF Awakening (a Type-0 browser spin-off) so he's got his hands full. I've honestly come to the conclusion from the various interviews that most of SE's old school designers are actively avoiding working on the numbered series, with Tokita citing he prefers the creative freedom given to him from the mobile division, Kawazu busy working on the new SaGa entry and recently saying he hopes he never has to do one again as he would rather work on SaGa instead, and god only knows what Ito has been doing for the past decade outside of being asked to overlook one of his old projects when it gets remastered/remade. I certainly doubt Kitase is going to ever step back in to direct either, so it's either Toriyama or someone new.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Just like all of Square Enix's flagship games seem to end up in these days. Gotta build that new engine each time, yo.
    There is a good video on YT somewhere about Square craving big flashy graphics with new engines almost murdered FF.

Found it !

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I don't think FFXV killed the FF franchise, but it also didn't restore it to the top of the pile either. It was decent enough and did everything it needed to, but it didn't blow minds or redefine the RPG genre either.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by The Captain View Post
    One that I'd throw out would be Xenosaga Episode II. The forever and a day cut scenes, the strange battle system, the long slog of corridor running, all of it pretty much killed any hopes of a full 6 episode run for that series and honestly, kept me from playing Episode III even though I have heard it made improvements on Episode II.

Take care all.
    Yeah, this is definitely a definitive one. Xenosaga never recouped from the backlash of that title. A lesser one is also Suikoden IV. While the DS spin-off likely killed the franchise, IV was the entry that greatly hurt the series clout with fans and Konami, leading to the lukewarm reception of Suikoden Tactics and Suikoden V, before Konami decided to just reboot the franchise a la Silent Hill to about the same success rate.

Speaking of Konami, I only sort of agree about MGSV, while it certainly killed the franchise, I feel it has a lot more to do with Kojim no longer working on it and Konami's own BS rather than due to the faults of the game. With the exception of the missing Eli episode, I honestly feel the overall design of MGSV is actually complete and it was meant to give a feeling of non-ending at the end. This is Kojima we're talking about here, and it's not the first time he's tried to be meta with his titles.

FFXII and FFTA2 largely killed Ivalice for SE. Granted, like MGS above, I feel the larger issue here is that the creative force that drove the setting is gone is largely to blame, but XII's lukewarm reaction from fans, as well as TA2's inability to re-ignite the fans passion due to making a product that lacked ambition and focus, largely killed our chances to see a standalone Ivalice title that isn't mobile or MMO event based. That might change now that Zodiac Age released with modest success, but we'll see.