Thread: Your Top Ten Favorite Squenix Characters

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Smash Your Top Ten Favorite Squenix Characters

What it says on the tin. You can choose from any game ever made or published by them past or present. The only rule is no casts, you have to choose a character, if you want to be a Boring Morty, you can make your whole ten characters come from one game, but regardless, I would love yo hear why you chose each character.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

1 - Squall Leonheart - Probably sentimental value more than anything else as FF8 was my first SE game but I really warmed to Squall and how we seen him develop into a strong leader throughout the story. I enjoyed his relationship with Rinoa too.
    2 - Zell Dincht - The most humorous character yet in FF IMO. Kinda felt bad for him at times the way he was picked on by Seifer and the way he was undermined by some of his team despite always doing his best for everyone.
    3 - Tidus - People like to pick on Tidus but I thought he was an excellent protagonist and I really got behind him with his struggles of missing home and trying to understand a new world when you had the likes to Wakka telling him to cop on. The voice actor did a great job with him.
    4 - Rinoa Heartilly - I don't know why I like her a lot I just do. Seeing her out in space sorta melted me. That FF8 buzz again.
    5 - Auron - The GOAT. Great voice actor, sage asf character. Worked well with him being the guy you went to to understand Spira better.
    6 - Wakka - Probably a tie with Auron. I liked the cast of FFX a lot.
    7 - Basch - A great character in a game that Balthier (ugh). Loved how committed to his homeland and honourable he was.
    8 - Lulu - Sexy voice, sexy woman, wise, cool.
    9 - Vaan - Vaan is an underrated character with a lot of people I think. Think it's natural to warm to main characters more but I thought he was a refreshing opposite side to a game was very set on being a tale from middle earth.
    10 - Steiner - Liked him a lot in FF9 as the loveable oaf.

Honourable mentions: Quistis, Penelo, Red XIII

Str8 Pimpin'

10> Lucca. Chrono Trigger. Cute, smart, intelligent, never gives up, unique.

9 > Freya. Final Fantasy IX. A tragic, but a strong woman, who keeps on going despite how many times life tries to get her down.

8 > Zidane Tribal. Final Fantasy IX. A character who starts out as a skeevy teenaged boy, but learns and grows and becomes a caring friend and leader to his team.

7 > Rinoa Heartilly. Final Fantasy VIII. A kind-hearted young woman, who starts out rebeling to "Piss off Daddy ", and ends up becoming a mature girl who's willing to give up her own sanity and freedom when she becomes a witch and a threat to mankind.

6 > Cecil Harvey. Final Fantasy IV. This guy is just one big " stop attacking yourself, learn to understand yourself, and you'll improve and shine on " metaphor and I love him for it.

5 > Sora Kingdom Hearts. Love him or hate him- Sora is filled with bright positive energy and love for his friends, which is inspiring.

4 > Cloud Strife. Cloud has gotten a bit lower on my list because of his Kingdom Hearts and Advent Children characterizations, but his original is still a fantastic character.

3 > Rydia. Final Fantasy IV. Rydia could've easy become a villian and used her tragic backstory as a excuse, but she doesn't and becomes a strong wee lassy.

2 > Terra. Final Fantasy VI. I love how she starts out as this confused girl with memory loss and anxiety, but then she becomes this girl who becomes stronger, not because of "big bad sword " or anything, but because she wants to protect her family of orphans.

1 > Squall Leonhart. Final Fantasy VIII. As the cool kids say these days, the hip hop n' happening kids- # relatable.

Honorables : Vivi FFIX, Nanaki/ Red XIII FFVII, Lara Croft : Tomb Raider ( if she counts ) Princess Garnet FFIX, Locke Cole FFVI. Auron FFX. Fran FF XII. Prompto FFXV, Ignis FF XV.

I might change/ edit this later on. idk.

Last edited by maybee; 05-31-2018 at 03:43 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

1. Tifa - I like the contrast between her tough fighting style, sexy attire and gentle/caring personality. I like that rather than being the damsel in distress, she was the hero that saved the hero in distress. Being in my all time favourite game helps, naturally, but she overtook Red XIII as my favourite character after my second or third playthrough.
    2. Snow - I really didn't like this guy but oh god did he grow on me more and more. I like confidence and encouragement, and he has these in spades, even if he is a complete idiot most of the time (which is also endearing to some extent).
    3. Gilgamesh - This guy is amazing and I love it every time he features in a game. His contributions to FFV, FFXII and FFXIV in particular were a joy for me.
    4. Red XIII - I loved this guy when we first met him. I loved him all the way through to him arriving at Cosmo Canyon. I hated how he suddenly went from this wise creature who has lived many years more than others in the gang to this baby who acts like he needs a cuddle all the time. The personality change in him was bigger than the personality change in Cloud, and that's saying something. Still, he gets a place for being a badass looking creature and for how he was up until he regressed.
    5. Lulu - I liked her about as much as the other non-lead party members in FFX, but it was the webcomic by DippyWerewolf that covers her history before the events of FFX that really made her a favourite of mine, even if I haven't played the game again since.
    6. Cloud - I love everything about his story. Let's just forget how troutty he sounded in Crisis Core and how emo he was in AC and just enjoy FFVII itself, and his cameo in WoFF too. Love Cloud when he's confident and has a bit of attitude.
    7. Tiamat - From Final Fantasy XIV. An NPC dragon with very little involvement but I love her story, what she has been through, and how it has moulded who she is today. I hope someday we see her free and happy. I get really interested every time I stumble into a cutscene that she features in, because I'm just fascinated by her.
    8. Jonny - The series needs more characters like this. Just a dude going about his business and traveling the world while occasionally catching up with his friends who happened to go on to become the saviours of the world. <3 Jonny xD
    9. Raubahn - Too many spoilers to go through so I'll just say I love this guy for all he has brought to FFXIV as a leader. Probably my favourite official (ie governing in any way) leader in the series.
    10. Zack - Tough to edge out the others below, but I adored him in Crisis Core.

Special Mentions
    Sephiroth - Best villain.
    Yshtola - My fave of the Scions in FFXIV, who are the prominent NPCs.
    Hildebrand - Not so much the character but his entire plot in Final Fantasy XIV is excellent slapstick fun.
    Hraesvelgr, Nidhogg, Bahamut, Midgardsormr - These four dragons all are fantastic in FFXIV. The sheer brute power of the summoned Bahamut helped make End of an Era become my favourite cutscene in the history of Final Fantasy. Hraesvelgr and Nidhogg are excellent characters but I can't mention one without the other, because their story is what truly makes them. Midgardsormr loops in with all the FFXIV dragons (including of course Tiamat who made my list) excellently.
    Fujin/Raijin - Arguably best duo. Hilarious.
    Wedge/Biggs (FFVIII) - Arguably best duo. Hilarious.

Cheat Mention: Loony Bob - My character in FFXIV.

Probably missing a bunch that have eluded me though.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!