View Poll Results: Will FF ever get its mojo back?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • It never lost its mojo, you people just whine too much

4 23.53%
  • Yeah, I feel like they've been improving lately

2 11.76%
  • Not sure, it's been bad, but I'm hopeful for the future.

8 47.06%
  • Hell no, FF is dead to me and anyone with half a brain.

3 17.65%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you think Final Fantasy will ever get its Mojo back?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Do you think Final Fantasy will ever get its Mojo back?

Saw this topic online recently and was curious to see how our fellow EoFFers may feel on the subject matter.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

It’s kind of lost it’s luster for me and I’ve jumped ship to other franchises for now, but I’m still hopeful sometimes soon it’ll happen

Articles
    Blog Entries

Nah, I honestly doubt FF will ever produce another truly great game.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

It's always possible, but for a game series that supposedly prides itself from starting from scratch with each iteration, there is a lack of creative thinking in Square-Enix.

I'd like to see what another developer could do with the franchise. And perhaps even a western one - but not one of the EA/Warner Brothers/Ubisoft ilk, I hasten to add!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I honestly don't believe a western developer could capture the magic of FF properly. Not a major one or even a smaller one. They may add some creative ideas to the formula, but any time I've seen a western developer take a crack at a Japanese, IP, it's usually not that good.

Articles

I reckon Obsidian or CD Projekt Red could do something really exciting with it. It wouldn't be a traditional Final Fantasy game, but I mean Square wants it to be a WRPG so badly they may as well give it to a company that is capable of making them.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don’t think CD Project is a good fit really. And I’m the one saying it

Articles

Bioware and Bethesda too.

okay maybe I'm trolling now.

Maybe.

I doubt it, especially with people like Nomura and Toriyama at the helm. Maybe if Sakaguchi came back they might have a chance.

Also no western developers please. Every time a western company takes control of a Japanese series it always ends in disaster. Just look at Silent Hill.

Nope, not a chance.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Bunch of whiners. Sometimes I wonder if it's just that we've gotten older and more jaded, because replaying the older games (including many for the first time), I don't see how they are some incredible heights. VII, V and VIII for me are the tip-top games, but the others are all decent at worst, good at best. Still my favourite series without a shadow of a doubt and I enjoy every game (arguably bar FFII) but yeah, if a person who had no knowledge of FF and just entered the series played them all I don't think they would feel the older games were that much more incredible than the newer ones.

I do think that they could improve a lot, and they aren't at the dizzy heights, but I don't know that any of the older games' stories and worlds, had they been released today instead of back then, would have "put FF on top of gaming". Most would have been blips on the radar, perhaps excepting maybe two or three titles.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I've been satisfied with the series for the most part. XV was a mixed bag for me. I really liked the dungeons, fishing minigame, locations (Galdin Quay is so cool), collecting recipes (and those delicious food renders!), and the overall lighthearted vibe of the game. I didn't like the combat, story, or fetch quests. I feel like SE somehow pulled out a good game despite not being able to figure out how to do the story and combat. It was in development hell forever and I think they just decided to finally release it at the expense of those two things. Somehow they made it work and it's a fun game despite those glaring flaws. So, I think they're on the right track, and hopefully XVI will have a smooth development. Really, only one game in the series has been considered a massive disappointment by gamers at large (XIII). They have won back some favor with XV and seem to know what they're doing now.
    Lamia's Tiara- Headgear in FFIX
    Lamia's Flute- Weapon for Eiko in FFIX
    Lamia in FFV- a enemy
    appearance: a lady with long brown hair, wearing a tiara...half woman and half snake.
    Lamia in FF3j- A Harp
    Lamia in FFL2- An enemy
    FF2j Queen Lamia, at one point she even gets Frionel in a bedroom with her and jumps on the bed and says "take me!".. before she turns into her snakey self. She serves as a mini boss in this game (as Queen Lamia).. and after you fight her as a mini boss, regular lamia's become random foes and later on in the game, Queen Lamia's become random foes as well.
    LamiaScl. an item that paralyzes foes.
    According to legend, she was once a Libyan queen (or princess) who fell in love with Zeus. Zeus' jealous wife Hera deformed her into a monster and murdered their offspring. She also made Lamia unable to close her eyes, so that she couldn't find any rest from the obsessing image of her dead children. When Zeus saw what had be done to Lamia, he felt pity for her and gave his former lover a gift: she could remove her eyes, and then put them on again. This way, though sleepless, she could rest from her misfortune. Lamia envied other the other mothers and took her vengeance by stealing their children and devouring them.

I doubt it'll even get its Hojo back

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

Do you mean FF series used to have a Mojo? Seriously speaking, I think much of the whining comes from people blinded by nostalgia glasses. Each FF has always been different from the previous titles, and when people get older, they won't enjoy the new games as much as they enjoyed the games they played during their teenage years. To be honest, though, the titles in the FF series were always a hit-or-miss, and claims like "FFs used to have fantastic stories" is mostly a myth: IMHO, there's been at most 3 FFs with an amazing storyline. I'll go through each FF briefly.

• FFI: great replay value with the class choices, this is the FF where I've had the most playthroughs. The game is quite non-linear too, which is nice. The storyline is almost nonexistent.
    • FFII: great storyline, but terrible gameplay. The GBA/PSP version made it tolerable, but still among my least favorite FFs.
    • FFIII: the game has plenty of nice new ideas that became trademarks in the FF series, but I'm not really a fan of either story or gameplay of FFIII.
    • FFIV: I liked the simple story and gameplay when I was a teen, but when I replayed the game (via the 3D remake for Steam), the story felt quite cliched, Cecil stopped being interesting after he turned into a Paladin, and the gameplay is nothing special. Still a classic FF, though.
    • FFV: arguably the most addictive FF in the series. Awesome battle system and gameplay, and the retranslated GBA script adds much charm to the characters, even if the story itself is quite weak.
    • FFVI: great storyline during the World of Balance, but the story practically stops after that, halfway through the game. It's interesting, though: I thought the non-linear gameplay and side-quests during the World of Ruin were the best parts of the game.
    • FFVII: the storyline was great when I first played it, and I also enjoyed the battle system back then, but I'm not sure now. The translation is quite a mess and makes the story more confusing, and the story has been retconned and changed several times in the spinoffs. I replayed the early Midgar parts, and the dungeons were even more linear than FFXIII's infamous dungeons, Cloud felt more like a jerk than cool, and Barret is a major stereotype.
    • FFVIII: the love story is forced, but at least it was enjoyable as a teen. The Sorceress story was never interesting to me. The battle system is also completely broken.
    • FFIX: probably the best FF storyline, and some of my favorite characters. Unfortunately, when I replayed the game, the battle system was terrible. Battles take 45 seconds to even get started, everything is extremely slow, actions get stuck in a turn queue, and much of the game is too RNG-based to my tastes (stealing from bosses, Ozma, Necron, card game etc).
    • FFX: my most hated FF. The battle system is good, but I dislike almost everything else about the game. The game is extremely linear, and you're mostly walking through straight roads with boring music and overly frequent random encounters with a really annoying battle music. The game is full of overly long, unskippable cutscenes. By the time you reach Luca, you know about everything of the storyline, and after that, you just watch the story unfold, and none of the twists after that really mattered to me. Tidus is the most annoying and whiniest protagonist ever, and the voice acting for Tidus and especially Yuna are completely cringe-worthy, IMHO. The minigames are also among the worst in the series: Cloisters of Trials, thunder dodging, butterfly chasing, Chocobo mini-game, the final 10 sphere hunt with icicles and a dreadful camera. The postgame is nothing but endless grinding. Urgh, this is just not the game for me.
    • FFX-2: the story is quite weak, but at least the game fixes almost everything that annoyed me in FFX. A nice battle system with ATB and job changes, and fun, non-linear gameplay.
    • FFXII: I recently replayed this game, via the Zodiac Age version for Steam, and this game is awesome! The double class system adds lots of replay value, the game's world is huge, and I really like the non-linear gameplay. The political storyline also felt much better than it did 11 years ago on my first playthrough. Oh, and the game got rid of random encounters, which was a very welcome change for me.
    • FFXIII: has many of the flaws of FFX, but not as bad, IMHO. A very linear game, and the characters are overly melodramatic. The storyline is pretty good, but the narration is weak (some details are told only in datalogs). The world of Gran Pulse is the highlight of the game, with the non-linear parts and Cie'th stone quests.
    • FFXIII-2: fixes most of the flaws of FFXIII. Fun gameplay, and relatively non-linear. The storyline is weak, but the worlds are fun, and it's nice to catch monsters.
    • LRFFXIII: the storyline just keeps getting weaker, but the open, quest-based gameplay is neat. Lightning's sarcastic remarks are also amusing. I really dislike the time limit, though. While it's not really an issue, it's still a psychological factor that makes the game more stressful to play.
    • FFXV: I've only played the demo (1st chapter), and the game didn't seem like my type of a game. None of the characters seemed interesting to me, and for most of the time, you were just running through huge, empty areas. Supposedly the storyline is quite rushed, but you can't really blame the development team. After Nomura got practically nothing done in 8 years, the team pretty much had to create the whole game in 2 years or so.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryûkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryûkishi

Quote Originally Posted by Sefie1999AD View Post
    Do you mean FF series used to have a Mojo? Seriously speaking, I think much of the whining comes from people blinded by nostalgia glasses.

when people get older, they won't enjoy the new games as much as they enjoyed the games they played during their teenage years
    I gotta say how incredibly tired I am of hearing this remark. It's so dismissive and hand waves away so much legitimate criticism. I finished playing Persona 5 the other week and I loved it. Absolutely phenomenal game, and I am excited to do another playthrough at some point. I have fond memories of my first Tales game (Vesperia), but Berseria blows that out of the water in basically every way. Just because I'm a bit older now doesn't stop me from being able to have fun, or recognise when the newest version of something is better than the older one. And yet the last time Final Fantasy made me feel like that was FFXII 12 years ago.

It also bugs me when I hear - "But if you go back and play such and such now it's actually kinda bad." Yeah; sometimes things don't age great. I certainly admit that continuing to enjoy something that has aged particularly poorly can be a facet of nostalgia, but that doesn't mean said game was 'overrated' or whatever. I could never get into VI because it was too dated by the time I got around to it, but I can still sure as hell appreciate what it did. Between two and three thousand aircraft cross the Atlantic ocean every day in the year 2018; thinking Charles Lindbergh's flight was pretty cool is not rose-tinted nostalgia goggles.