Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Meh, my point still stands that the trailer would have been better for me if they didn't bother with the narration. I'm not usually impressed with flash, which is why the DQXI trailer was hilariously bad in my opinion cause Squenix is trying too hard to convince us lazy westerners that DQ can be as flashy and badass as Final Fantasy, when we all know this game is going to be like most DQ titles, turn based and filled to the brim with bad puns while still being a pretty solid JRPG.

The Death Stranding Trailer was better for me cause it left me with questions. I want to know what the smurf is going on. Cyberpunk 2077 looks like a generic cyber punk game, with the trailer trying to hit up every cliche the genre has produced. That's not to say I feel it will be bad game, but if they were trying to impress me, they failed. So I'm going to hold back any anticipation for it until I see what else it has to offer. I like trailers that leave me wondering, not a highlights reel or showing us the devs did their homework on what the genre can do. I mean for crying out loud guys, this is a cyberpunk game, do something cyberpunkish with your trailer.
    Are you done moving the goalposts now?
    Someone’s grumpy today. Grumpier than usual, I mean

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Are there any more conferences or are we done with new announcements?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Everything is done. Yeah, Nintendo had a conference about games that lasted a few minutes and then Smash Bros had a 30 minute conference.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

There's been enough for me to come away with some positive thoughts about video games going forward.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    There's been enough for me to come away with some positive thoughts about video games going forward.
    Same. Just caught up with the gameplay of Ghost of Tsushima which is a must buy for me. I love the setting.

Str8 Pimpin'

If anyone's interested there was a live performance by the composers and VA's from Grim Fandango - haven't watched it yet but it's sure to be good if you're a fan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfDT...ex=102&list=WL

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

The trailer that disappointed me most was Death Stranding. I've been following it keenly with it having the golden trio of Kojima, Reedus and Battrout smurfing Crazy. And hey the trailer certainly gave more of those three at least! I didn't really know what to expect from the gameplay. Naked Norman Reedus wrestling with an octopus with human arms? Naked Norman Reedus engaging in a trivia challenge against a giant viscera covered baby perhaps? Who knows!

The gameplay in that trailer was... dull. It's the last word I expected to use to describe this game but there we are. That was a lot of walking through some pretty uninspiring landscapes that I've seen the likes of in plenty of other games. Pretty sure that river was Straight Outta Skyrim and the city reminded me a bit of The Last of Us. Hiking with a giant box on your back and crouch walking past smoke ghosts doesn't really feel like it's going to be all that fun either.

And yeah yeah, I know, it's just a trailer and they'll save some more of the juicy stuff for later, and Kojima is famous for his usual go-to "aha! you thought that was the game but it was not, in fact, the game! I am a GENIUS!" move. I think there were too many art assets for this not to be actual game footage and the aforementioned juice will have to be particularly tasty to be worth all that open world hiking. Either way, I can only judge it based on what I saw and what I saw, weird trout and Reedus's beautiful face aside, didn't really inspire me.

No Dark Souls IV, Metroid Prime 4, or FF7 remake stuff. (To be fair Dark Souls IV hasn't been announced and the developer said III was the last one, but I am holding out hope. Star Ocean 5 and Soul Caliber VI still happened after all).

I am really interested in Death Stranding but what they showed wasn't much of anything. Guess I am going to have to wait
    longer to find out how the game will play.

I'll definitely be picking up the next "EVERYONE IS HERE" Smash Bros for Switch And omg Ridley.
    Lamia's Tiara- Headgear in FFIX
    Lamia's Flute- Weapon for Eiko in FFIX
    Lamia in FFV- a enemy
    appearance: a lady with long brown hair, wearing a tiara...half woman and half snake.
    Lamia in FF3j- A Harp
    Lamia in FFL2- An enemy
    FF2j Queen Lamia, at one point she even gets Frionel in a bedroom with her and jumps on the bed and says "take me!".. before she turns into her snakey self. She serves as a mini boss in this game (as Queen Lamia).. and after you fight her as a mini boss, regular lamia's become random foes and later on in the game, Queen Lamia's become random foes as well.
    LamiaScl. an item that paralyzes foes.
    According to legend, she was once a Libyan queen (or princess) who fell in love with Zeus. Zeus' jealous wife Hera deformed her into a monster and murdered their offspring. She also made Lamia unable to close her eyes, so that she couldn't find any rest from the obsessing image of her dead children. When Zeus saw what had be done to Lamia, he felt pity for her and gave his former lover a gift: she could remove her eyes, and then put them on again. This way, though sleepless, she could rest from her misfortune. Lamia envied other the other mothers and took her vengeance by stealing their children and devouring them.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    The trailer that disappointed me most was Death Stranding. I've been following it keenly with it having the golden trio of Kojima, Reedus and Battrout smurfing Crazy. And hey the trailer certainly gave more of those three at least! I didn't really know what to expect from the gameplay. Naked Norman Reedus wrestling with an octopus with human arms? Naked Norman Reedus engaging in a trivia challenge against a giant viscera covered baby perhaps? Who knows!

The gameplay in that trailer was... dull. It's the last word I expected to use to describe this game but there we are. That was a lot of walking through some pretty uninspiring landscapes that I've seen the likes of in plenty of other games. Pretty sure that river was Straight Outta Skyrim and the city reminded me a bit of The Last of Us. Hiking with a giant box on your back and crouch walking past smoke ghosts doesn't really feel like it's going to be all that fun either.

And yeah yeah, I know, it's just a trailer and they'll save some more of the juicy stuff for later, and Kojima is famous for his usual go-to "aha! you thought that was the game but it was not, in fact, the game! I am a GENIUS!" move. I think there were too many art assets for this not to be actual game footage and the aforementioned juice will have to be particularly tasty to be worth all that open world hiking. Either way, I can only judge it based on what I saw and what I saw, weird trout and Reedus's beautiful face aside, didn't really inspire me.
    You worded this basically how I felt about it too. I just, I mean it seems interesting? Just not something for me personally.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Smash Bros looks cool as always, but I would like to know what content there will be besides items and characters. I’d like to know what kind of modes there will be. I also felt it didn’t warrant taking up most of the Nintendo direct and would have liked to see more from other games. I thought that Mario Party looked pretty good, actually.

Sony and Microsoft left me mostly positive. There is some cool looking stuff. Squares conference was mostly meh. I didn’t see any of the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamia View Post
    No Dark Souls IV
    Well, they are making a game that's most likely going to be almost identical to Dark Souls but in a different setting, so there is that.

Blog Entries

Nothing really has stood out to me so far. But I'm really difficult to please, soooo...

Maybe if I got more news on Project Re:Fantasy or Project Prelude Rune, I'd be happy. But so far nothing.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamia View Post
    No Dark Souls IV
    Well, they are making a game that's most likely going to be almost identical to Dark Souls but in a different setting, so there is that.
    Maybe not, actually. FromSoftware just released some info on Sekiro, and apparently it won't have classes, stats, or online components. It's being pitched as a pure action-adventure game.

As for E3, kind of an underwhelming year overall. Most of the big name titles are games I'm not interested in (KHIII, ESVI, Smash) or were games for systems I don't own like Octopath Traveler. Sekiro looks interesting, but I wouldn't mind more info. I'm happy we finally got some gameplay footage for Death Stranding, but I'll echo that it was a bit underwhelming. On the other hand, considering how much hype it's been getting, maybe it was a good thing to release something that would lower expectations. I'm not really bothered by the idea that what we saw in the trailer is the extent of the gameplay. I doubt it will be but either way, we're still talking about a man who made one of the best survival horror games in the last five years involving two hallways and a bathroom that repeat, so maybe there is more than what we're seeing here. Either way, the game still doesn't have much going for it besides being bizarre and mysterious. Also DQXI looks pretty good, and will likely be the only SE game I'm looking forward to for awhile that I can actually play unless SaGa Scarlet Graces gets a release date sometime this year.