• Tottenham

0 0%
  • Liverpool

1 16.67%
  • Chelsea

0 0%
  • Arsenal

0 0%
  • None of the above. Oh, you rebel, you.

1 16.67%
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018-19 English Football Season Thread

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    Hint: I'm standing behind a big female bust
    Living the dream.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

LIVERPOOL FOUR MANCHESTER UNITED ONE MOURINHO IS DESTROYED BY HIS OVERLORD JURGEN KLOPP

gonna have to buy the dvd of this one at the end of the season lads

Blog Entries

Remember DVDs?

there was a picture here

Articles

Remember VHS and you'd always get one for Christmas of Jimmy Greaves or Nick Hancock narrating Phil Babb sliding his nuts into the post over some generic 90's muzak?

Blog Entries

I remember getting one involving Steve McManaman teaching the art of the dribble. Better times.

there was a picture here

Articles

Re: Yan Dhanda

You're welcome.

I'll post my table predictions once the EPL window closes this coming week though I have to say I am very pleased so far with Liverpool's preseason and business. The squad looks fit, together and ready to really build on last season. Also, I definitely think Jose is out sometime this year. His 3rd year curse is so consistent I wonder why clubs don't just always sign him to 2 year contracts?

Take care all.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by The Captain View Post
    Also, I definitely think Jose is out sometime this year. His 3rd year curse is so consistent I wonder why clubs don't just always sign him to 2 year contracts.
    That's just what he wants you to think, and both traditional media and social media is swallowing it up. No-one is talking up United's chances but consider this. For all his non-stop whining (and boy is it non-stop!) about Liverpool's four new signings, how many of them are better than their Manchester United counterparts? Alisson or De Gea? Fabinho or Matic? Keita or Pogba? Shaqiri or Sanchez? Mourinho is just doing what he does best and is downplaying expectations.

Fine, Liverpool have spent big this summer, but United have spent big for the past five years and counting. They should be coming ahead of Liverpool and if Liverpool do finish above United it'll be because they have a better manager, not a better squad.

Shaqiri might be better than what's left of Sanchez.

I'll take Keita over a dis-interested and possibly flirting with Barca Pogba any day. Feeling very Coutinho-esque to me, wouldn't be shocked by a mid-season move away. Prime Sanchez is a top player but he'll need to show he can flourish in Jose's sitback mentality. De Gea is great and probably needs to make up for a lackluster World Cup but Alisson is no slouch. Matic does the dirty work well but I think Fabinho will be just the added bit of steel we've been missing since Mascherano. I'm more excited to see another full season of Robbo and Trent and think those two could be the real key to our season. Likewise, a fully fit Mendy at City.

I'm a big believer in team chemistry over on paper talent. Some squads are just overwhelmingly stacked, such as some of those Madrid and Barca teams which can mitigate chemistry, but I've seen it happen time and time again on sports teams in the States, where team chemistry can be just the little bit extra.

Also, I'm expecting a lot of transfer day moves, which could yet shake up the league. Chelsea look like they have a lot of business left to do at the least.

Take care all.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Righto, get your votes in on the poll guys. I'm setting it to close this weekend. No more sly dog votes half way through the season!

Rubbish Transfer Deadline Day tbh. Not just because I'm a United fan, either. It was just pretty bleh when the rest of Europe isn't involved and I suspect that most players just don't want to think about this kind of thing too strongly when they're barely back from holiday. This deadline before first game thing will be cool if/when the rest of Europe makes a similar change, otherwise I suspect the English league won't find signings as easy next time around. At least we have the winter window the same as them, I think?
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles

I think the World Cup played a part in a lot of the delay and inactivity. I do agree with the principle of having the window close before the season starts.

Table Prediction Time!

There are still a couple outstanding moves to come though at this point, though it seems likely that any moves made now will only hurt a team's chances since the English end is closed.

Liverpool, for me, are in the best position they've ever been to win the title. Yes, City are strong and they are the defending champions but I think they will put all of their focus this year into winning the Champions League and that could just mean taking their eyes off of things a bit. Coupled with the moves Liverpool have made and the fact that all of their key players are back, fit, healthy and hungry to build off of last year, I think this is the year where all the promise pays off. At the very least, they are there to the bitter end and I'll bet on a team that looks legitimately happy to play together to find a way in the end.

The rest of the Top 6 aside from City seem a mixed bag. Chelsea did good business but are also bringing in a new keeper and coach which could take some bedding in. Arsenal likewise are starting a new era and I'm curious to see what sort of team they really have. Spurs, boy, they are taking a real risk. If everyone on the squad is healthy all season, they could be a darkhorse challenger but how likely is that to be? Harry Kane has played A LOT of football in the last year and asking him to carry on might be too tall a task. United... I've already said what I think is happening there. The squad is good but something doesn't smell right and I think the 3rd year Jose curse is real. He'll get them into the Top 4, but it won't be pretty and he might not last.

Liverpool
    Man City
    Chelsea
    Man Utd
    Spurs
    Arsenal
    Everton - Lot of good deadline moves for them.
    Fulham - They look like they'll stick for a while.
    West Ham
    Newcastle
    Wolves - Ditto.
    Leicester
    Crystal Palace
    Burnley
    Southampton
    Bournemouth
    Huddersfield
    Brighton
    Watford
    Cardiff

Champions League Winners:
    Atletico Madrid - They look REAL good. PSG, Juve, could also be very interesting. I think Real and Barca take a little step back, maybe only get to the QF's.

FA Cup:
    Spurs

Golden Boot:
    Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

League Cup:
    Man City

Young Player:
    Phil Foden or Naby Keita

Let's get this season started!

Take care all.

I cast my vote for shock winner from outside the Boys Club.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    I cast my vote for shock winner from outside the Boys Club.
    It really is Liverpool's year!

there was a picture here