• Tottenham

0 0%
  • Liverpool

1 16.67%
  • Chelsea

0 0%
  • Arsenal

0 0%
  • None of the above. Oh, you rebel, you.

1 16.67%
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018-19 English Football Season Thread

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

What do you mean? Who would be stabbing who? The usual situation is that they change the manager OR the big name player, so if Pogba were to be sold, it would be an indication that they will not be changing manager and felt Pogba was disrupting the harmony. If he is NOT sold and still complains, it's more likely Jose would be sold to avoid a player unhappy with who is in charge. Really depends on who the club sees as the real problem.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Holy crap our defence is awful. I thought we’d struggle when we didn’t strengthen at the back. Brighton have played well but Bailley has been shocking.

I think it’ll be a two-horse race between Man City and Liverpool with us not even making the top four.

Its gonna be a long old season.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Could be worse mate. You could be American.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/f...orts-0x7tpw3kw

Sigh

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

How Bailly was allowed to stay on for the full game was beyond me, he was absolutely atrocious.

Articles

Are Lindelof and Bailly really that bad? I thought they, and Bailly especially, were held in high esteem by United fans.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Bailly was for me until that last match. I wouldn't say it's put me off him either, he just had a horrid game, from start to finish. Think Vidic vs. Torres.

Personally still think Smalling is our best defender and that we just need to find a Rio Ferdinand so he can sit back and be Wes Brown.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, I'm hoping it was just an off day. He was injured quite regularly last season but when fit he looked the part.

Jury is still out on Lindelof.

Articles

Meanwhile...

But my catchphrase and all we had to do was buy a £75m centre back.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

So we still think the 3rd year Jose curse isn't real? Yikes. I sense a panic call to Zidane coming soon.

Take care all.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I still don't think it's a curse because it's only three games into a new season and he's won the Champions League in the third season in Portugal. What I'd argue is that he is getting faster and faster each time at falling out with a club, because realistically this situation began last season, not this season. Hell, he looked tired in the first season, but because he won something it didn't matter to the journalists so much. I do wonder what will happen to Jose over time, if he'll just retire early or something, I dunno. Perhaps he needs time at a club that is guaranteed a title every season. PSG or Munich?

He still gave us more points than anyone since SAF last season, and it hasn't been that long since that happened. Will have to wait and see. I've never been all aboard the Mourinho train at all, though, even before he signed for us I wasn't as interested as many others were. I just like more focus on youth and attacking football, even if we're losing I want to be entertained.

With that said, we attacked a lot in that game, we were playing attractive football. Yes, we lost 3-0, but even Gary Neville said at half time that it's the most energised and attacking football he's seen us play in six years. The downside to that is that it leaves you open at the back, so if you don't take your chances, RIP.

Articles

Mourinho's problem is that he's a man out of time. He's still playing a style of football that was successful last decade. Back when he won the CL with Porto and the league with Chelsea, when Greece somehow won the Euros and Rafa Benitez won La Liga with Valencia (seriously how the smurf do you do that?) and the CL with a, let's have it right, relatively poor Liverpool team.

Football has moved on. Standing still is moving backwards. Now teams play like City, Spurs and Liverpool by playing out from the back and employing a really high press. He's still playing the exact way he did at 2004 Chelsea with Lukaku as his Drogba and Fellaini as his Robert smurfing Huth off the bench in desperation as an emergency striker.

Alex Ferguson is the greatest manager of all time - and I smurfing hate saying that believe you me - because he was able to see which way the wind was blowing and change and adapt his teams to dominate each mini era of football. Compare his 92/93 style of play to, say, the Rooney Tevez Ronaldo triple threat. It's worlds apart. The man is a genius.

Mourinho can point to what he did in Porto/Chelsea/Inter but it's irrelevant because you're not competing in the 2000's Premier League, you're competing in the 2018 Premier League. He can point to finishing above your Liverpools and your Spurses last season but so what? Is that the goal? As long as we finish above them two - while spending a trout ton load more transfer money and having a vastly higher wage bill than either of them - then jolly good? Worth every penny?

With the resources at their disposal you should still expect this team to dominate most of the league, but they're never going to reach that elite level that United's ambition aspires to while playing like this either.

Blog Entries

Wasn't Van Gaal hailed as a progressive tactical genius when he came in?

there was a picture here

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Mourinho's problem is that he's a man out of time. He's still playing a style of football that was successful last decade. Back when he won the CL with Porto and the league with Chelsea, when Greece somehow won the Euros and Rafa Benitez won La Liga with Valencia (seriously how the smurf do you do that?) and the CL with a, let's have it right, relatively poor Liverpool team.

Football has moved on. Standing still is moving backwards. Now teams play like City, Spurs and Liverpool by playing out from the back and employing a really high press. He's still playing the exact way he did at 2004 Chelsea with Lukaku as his Drogba and Fellaini as his Robert smurfing Huth off the bench in desperation as an emergency striker.

Alex Ferguson is the greatest manager of all time - and I smurfing hate saying that believe you me - because he was able to see which way the wind was blowing and change and adapt his teams to dominate each mini era of football. Compare his 92/93 style of play to, say, the Rooney Tevez Ronaldo triple threat. It's worlds apart. The man is a genius.

Mourinho can point to what he did in Porto/Chelsea/Inter but it's irrelevant because you're not competing in the 2000's Premier League, you're competing in the 2018 Premier League. He can point to finishing above your Liverpools and your Spurses last season but so what? Is that the goal? As long as we finish above them two - while spending a trout ton load more transfer money and having a vastly higher wage bill than either of them - then jolly good? Worth every penny?

With the resources at their disposal you should still expect this team to dominate most of the league, but they're never going to reach that elite level that United's ambition aspires to while playing like this either.
    The real fun is trying to find someone decent that can replace him and still command authority in a dressing room of egos. At least you don't have to worry about the entire dressing room rebelling against you - that would require some kind of leader. Honestly I do wonder if we had a real leader on the pitch how much of a difference it might make. Jose may be trying to emulate Chelsea of that era for all I know (I wouldn't say it's exactly the same, I'd say we have a different formation) but one of the key parts of that Chelsea team wasn't the tactics but the mentality. They had a huge amount of leaders on that pitch, and Jose made them even stronger. We have no leaders at United - they all left and none of them were replaced on a mental scale.