Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What in the smurf is Final Fantasy IX fans problem?

Some things cannot be forgiven.

Blog Entries

Never forgive, never forget....
    But man i should replay it to see if my patience with it has changed.
    Last edited by Black Magic Shopkeeper; 07-06-2018 at 12:59 AM.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oddly enough, I do see this among my own friends. Outside of this community, among my circle of friends, those who tend to favor VII more than say me, tend to also strongly dislike IX with a passion, whereas the opposite is true concerning IX lovers not liking VII. Course most of my friends are self-proclaimed line artist and most of the issues stem from the art direction but whatever.

Personally, I feel the real rivalry is VI vs. VII, whereas IX tends to be overlooked cause it doesn't have the same PR as VII and X or the controversy of VIII going for it. There is certainly a healthier IX fanbase on this forum, but not so much elsewhere that I've seen. I think the surge of popularity VII brought to the fanbase as well as more obnoxious elements of said fanbase back in the day (most VII fans are pretty chill nowadays) probably gave a lot of resentment towards the rest of the fanbase, which is why you'll often see the game get picked on far more often in non-VII focused parts of the internet unless the topic jumps to a more controversial titles like FFII, VIII, and every post-FFX entry.

Oddly enough, I've been seeing this a lot more in the professional critic community as well since often top RPG lists tend to downplay VII more lately and often gives more credit to other titles. Not sure if this is pure backlash against the game or people finally trying to look at VII more objectively, both sides of the argument will likely jump to their conclusion and stick with it.

IX fans and VII fans are natural enemies, like VI fans and VII fans, or VIII fans and VII fans, or X fans and VII fans, or VII fans and other VII fans.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Example View Post
    IX fans and VII fans are natural enemies, like VI fans and VII fans, or VIII fans and VII fans, or X fans and VII fans, or VII fans and other VII fans.
    Damn FFVII fans! They ruined FFVII!

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Damn FFVII fans, they ruined FFVII!!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I agree with both Psy and WK on great points. I wouldn't say it's insecurity as Psy says, but rivalry and competitiveness. It's bravado, ego, banter, all that kind of thing. WK points out that he sees it as VI vs. VII - I'd say both are very much the major rivalries of FF history. I think of it as siblings. You can have three siblings with a healthy rivalry. FFX is another one out there that sometimes kicks in. The fans are just picking their team and the rest is no different than sibling rivalry, sports rivalry, etc. It's all good in the end. A healthy fan will recognize the good in various games and whether or not they say their favourite is better than the others is up to them, I don't mind. And if they're saying FFVII is best, then hey, they'll even be right!
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

FFII is better than FFXV and FFXIII trilogy. Fite me.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    FFII is better than FFXV and FFXIII trilogy. Fite me.
    FFII is the worst Final Fantasy. I've played them all, and it's definitely the worst!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Ah, no argument against what I said, then. Good.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

FFIX is my favorite FF (not counting XIV, but it's a different beast), but I love FFVII and it was the first game that introduced me to the series. At the same time, I recognize FFVII is an objectively bad game. The story is terrible (although it started out great), the battle system is bland and uninspired; every character is a blank cookie cutter slate*, the graphics were kind of trash even for the time and have aged horribly. The music...okay, the music is smurfing fantastic, as are the pre-rendered backgrounds. Lordy.

FFIX improves on all of this in every way (except maybe the music is tied). The story is great, the characters are complex. The battle system is much more fun with jobs and being able to pick and choose your abilities based on an area or fight. The mini-games are stupidly fun--actually, I'd venture a guess that that's what people enjoy more about it. It's not some edgelord emofest. Sure, FFVII had humor, but FFIX is just so much more light and ENJOYABLE while also having a moving and mature story. Admittedly, the art is something that a lot of people have an issue with, and I do think is an acquired taste. But still leagues and away better than FFVII. Save Cosmo Canyon and Midgar, even the areas are more interesting and fun to look at and explore.

But I still love FFVII. And rarely do I trout on it. At times I've been known to give it what myself, and others, consider fair criticism. But that's not the same as hating it.

A lot of people make jokes about how FFVII is overrated trash (it is), but still love it. Maybe you don't understand how jokes work?

Also, maybe you shouldn't come out with "WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!" if you want to have a serious discussion or are asking a question in good faith. But maybe that's just me. ¯\_(ツ)_/

EDIT: *I mean within the context of battle, not the story. The characters are actually one of the few truly good things the story has going for it. Except Aeris and Cloud.
    Last edited by Jinx; 07-07-2018 at 02:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

I honestly think FF9 had by far the worst battle system of the entire series, barring the NES games which I haven't played yet, and it's the only battle system I would actually call "bland and uninspired". It's just so painfully, agonizingly slow even when compared to its predecessors, and did nothing to innovate unlike every FF before it. Also I never understood why people trout on FF7's plot, especially after the first disc. Is it because of the tone change and plot twists? Because 9 was hardly any better in that regard, especially when you got to Zidane's home world.