Thread: Gaming OCD

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nom nom nom Gaming OCD

Are there any elements in games you have some OCD with? Do you have to collect every Ring/Coin in a Sonic/Mario game? Have to obtain all the weapons available in a game? Need to be number one on a leader board at least once in a multiplayer game? Always use the same team or set-up in a game you've played a few times? Have to collect one of every item? Have to make your first playthrough a "perfect game"? What games do you have OCD issues with?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

In many FF games I want to Platinum. I'm playing Rise of the Tomb Raider at the moment and seem to be incapable of progressing the storyline while the map isn't completely clear of things to do via sidequests / collectables.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I used the be a lot more OCD when I was younger, a little on the stubborn side but it's what got me mastering games. Now I just try and do as much as I can. I'll always play alongside some solid online resources that aid me in not missing important items etc. In truth I don't play many new games, I'm on more of a nostalgia trip.... I master Final Fantasy VII once a year though, that seems to be a compulsion.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

When I have control over it, stats must end in 0 or 5. In Dark Souls I spend five levels in a row on the same stat. Same with items in all games. Gotta keep them at 5 or 0.

And in games with classes or skills I won't change until I've leveled or learned a new skill.

I'm pretty much OCD on every game. I probe around for items, things to see, NPCs to talk to, lore, equipment, skills, grind for max stats, completing bestiaries, play every mini-game, and explore 100% of every map (where possible). Sometimes my OCD comes into conflict with my procrastination and laziness and I'll give up on something I've been working for, shrugging it off as a trophy I don't need. I mean, I don't need any of it, yet I wasted hours on all of it for whatever reasons and now it's sheer lack of energy that mars my desire for it forcing me to realize I could have been doing something more productive and fulfilling (which in itself is a ritual bloodletting of my self-worth). This partly moves me to stop playing a game altogether.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.