Thread: Should Square giveup on Final Fantasy?

Unhappy Should Square giveup on Final Fantasy?

I've been wondering should Square Enix just give up on making new Final Fantasy games? I've just been thinking lately that since Hironobu Sakaguchi, Yoshitaka Amano, and Nobuo Uematsu are no longer a part of the company the games now have a completely different feel from what they used to have. And me personally if the games don't feel like Final Fantasy that I kinda feel that they should just stop making Final Fantasy games. I don't know what they should call them I don't really care either but if it's not going to have the same feeling and themes of the original Final Fantasy games and I don't really see much of a point in keeping the name Final Fantasy. I know games change and evolve and they'll never keep the exact feel but look at modern Mario or Zelda games. They play very differently but stilll have a similar feel to the classic titles.Not to mention the numbering is getting a little ridiculous. Just say out loud Final Fantasy 16 yuck! It just doesn't roll off the tongue right. At the very least they start giving them sub titles instead. But I would like to see what you guys think on the matter do you think that Final Fantasy still has life in it or do you think it's time for it to hang up the curtains? Or perhaps they should just start remaking the old ones if they can't make good interesting new ones? Thanks to all who reply.

Nah.

Final Fantasy XII, WoF, Bravely Default and Octopath proves that they are still possible of creating a decent FF.

Kingdom Hearts seems to be it's "big boy " now, so can see them favoring that over FF now.

They should at the very least stop making direct sequels, no more crap like the compilation which has detracted far more from FF7's lore and legacy than it added.

While I don't think they should outright give up on Final Fantasy they should show more love to their other IPs i.e the Chrono series.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Instead of "I don't like it, so they should stop doing it", you could always opt for "I don't like it, so I should stop playing it."

There's no good reason for Square Enix to stop making Final Fantasy games at this time.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

While I'm usually first in line with the whole "FF is dead, and the real series ended long ago" group, I'm also the type who says "never say never" and thus it's plausible to see the franchise rise again. Of anything, despite how much trout this forum gives to FFXV, I've been a bit dumbfounded how much the game has appealed to a lot of my non-FF friends who've never liked the series. My GF is easily the weirdest one cause getting her to play FF titles is like pulling teeth, and then she just nonchalantly mentions she picked up the Royal Edition of XV the other day and is having a blast with it.

The old series is dead, but that doesn't mean a new team can't breathe new life into the franchise. It doesn't mean I can't learn to love the series again, so I'll keep waiting until that comes or SE's in-house development folds.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

"Give up? In their moment of triumph? I think you underestimate their sales."
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi