View Poll Results: *whinnies*

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course I would! I wouldn't bridle at some tasty horse meat.

16 61.54%
  • Neigh, I would not. But I don't feel strongly about it either way.

4 15.38%
  • Surely you joust! I could never eat a horsey!

6 23.08%
  • Rein in the puns, Sam.

4 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would you eat horse meat?

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Let's have Jinx answer the nourishment question first and then move onto pleasure.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Also, Hippopotamus translates as ‘River Horse’ in Greek. We should include them in the discussion.

You don't eat hippps. Hungry, hungry hippos eat you.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Yea, good luck eating a hippo.

I mean, there are (bad) definitions of meat for which fish are excluded. But those definitions also exclude chicken and turkey.

I wonder if you should eat horse meat if you are horse from screaming about whether fish are meat

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Given the right circumstances, I can see myself eating horse meat. But it is not something I would likely seek out. Many domesticated or pseudo-domesticated animals as food still causes that strange adverse response for me. I know it is effectively an irrational thought but I am content with certain aspects of irrationality, such as this one. But when you gotta eat or die, Phar Lap is going on the BBQ.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

I could never eat horse meat. Horses are fully capable of thougts, sentience, and emotions. Any animal that is capable of love is off the menu for me. Not only that humans have used horses for millenia for work and battle and transportation. I find it apprehensible that one could justify eating what should be considered a companion animal. Where would we be as a species today without the aide of horses for trade tranport among other things. It definitely would have slowed us down as a developing civilization. Same with cows I don't eat them either all they do is eat grass all day they hurt no one and nothing and don't deserve to die. I can't eat pig either or basically most any animal for moral reasons. Humans don't need meat to survive. The only thing meat has that plants don't is vitamin B12 and there is a perfectly fine synthetic B12 called cyanocobalamin. If not that then one can get B12 from milk. So long as the milk comes from a humane no kill farm with well treated cows then there is no moral issue in that regard. Besides cows are known to produce too much milk; more than it's offspring is able to consume, so it's not really stealing from it's young either. In the amino acid department brown rice, whole grains, beans, nuts, soy, veggies, fruits, all those combined posses a perfect amino acid completeness score all one would need is a cyanocobalamin.

Enjoying meat when you biologically don't need it is basically like enjoying the pain and suffering of an innocent lifeform.. unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorceress Claire View Post
    I could never eat horse meat. Horses are fully capable of thougts, sentience, and emotions. Any animal that is capable of love is off the menu for me.
    It's interesting to see other people's environmental ethics, especially when it comes to eating meat.

So the hard limit for you is if the animal is capable of love. What about other species of animals that aren't capable of love? How do you even define love, and why is that the basis for whether or not you can eat the other species?

The rest of your post implies that you're vegetarian or vegan, but your wording really confused me. It almost sounds like you would support the consumption of life forms including fish because they aren't capable of love.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

I define love as the emotional capacity to care for and show affection to others. Mother cows are known to be very attentive, protective, nurturing, and even affectionate with their young. Cows have even been known to mourn the death of another cow. Elephants also mourn their dead loved ones years after the fact... visiting the place where they died years later. Many complex mammals showcase human levels of love and care for their loved ones. That's what I define as love. Fish, sharks, shrimp etc on the other hand don't seem to posses any capacity for love. There is a species of shark that even cannibalizes it's siblings. As far as we know all mammals possess a neocortex where sentience and emotional capacity is possible some mammals have a larger neocortex than others.. fish as we know it don't possess one. Whales have a neocortex that is about 78-92% the volume as a humans. Meaning they are very smart and very emotional social beings. They have even been know to save the lives of humans they have no connection too... whales and dolphins are amazing and precious. I'm very much disgusted with and loathe whalers and whale meat eaters with almost every fiber of my being.

So to answer your question I do eat fish, shellfish, shrimp etc on rare occasion but no other meat. I do want to try lobster and crab though as I never got to.

Yes I'm aware that my points may appear contradictory. However it's only because I wasn't posing my point right at first but I'll leave that error in my OP alone. I'll clarify here though... I find the consumption of meat bad if it involves the death of a sentient, emotional, complex thinking animal.. but not so in regards to very simple creatures like fish and insects. It's exceptionally wrong to eat the meat of animals that have served humans and worked for us for millenia like dogs and horses. I'd NEVER visit the immoral nations that eat poor dogs ugh.. screw South Korea, Vietnam, China and Nigeria
    Last edited by Sorceress Claire; 03-29-2019 at 05:45 AM.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Only those that is a virgin no more. A dignity of a horse must be respected.

No, I wouldn't eat horse meat. Instead, if you're looking for a delicious alternative, I highly recommend trying out an easy honey lemon chicken recipe. It's a flavorful dish that satisfies your cravings without the need for unconventional meats. Plus, it's simple to prepare and bursting with sweet and tangy flavors that everyone will enjoy!