Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where are you guys wasting your time at anymore?

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I've been working a lot of myself mentally. Mostly the staff knows this, but last year was very rough for myself, friends, and family for various reasons.

Otherwise, there are several YouTube channels I watch and I've been playing lots of games when I can. Mostly through Metroid Prime, did a bunch of Hollow Knight recently (stuck on Final Boss and am taking a break since I legit got furious when not beating it), and recently got into the Danganropa series (I'm early in the second game, no spoilers)!

Work is also going well, but keeping me very busy too. That and I've been trying to get more active. I am closing on in 70lbs lost. Below are pics. The first one was me at a con meeting ProJared and PBG in July of 2017. The other photo was taken a few days ago.

(SPOILER)

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

In the middle of building a race car for my dad/with dad, going through a vintage race car/getting it race ready again for a customer, and just got my girlfriend's car back on the road. Along with the typical work load.

So car things, as usual.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I’ve mostly just been working and playing FFXIV since people from work convinced me to play again. Otherwise I’m just hanging out with my wife.

Edit: I’ve also been doing a ton of reading. About to finish up what exists of Brandon Sanderson’s stuff and will need to figure out what to read next. I really like being able to get library books on my kindle.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Tumblr and Discord. And work.

Freaking YouTube and I've begun to hate it. It really starts to suck ones life away. Spending the better portion of of an evening just watching other people play games. I miss the forum. I miss having an internet life. I miss having a social life. I miss spending time being creative. So I'm basically dying with the forum

Don't know if this thread really applies to me since I'm so new, but I've been wasting my time going to job interviews/looking at apartments.

I'm only now realizing how little sense that sentence made, because I really don't have a lot of time to waste, when I think about it.

In summary, I don't know why I'm saying this and you should stop reading.

You rebel. I like you.

FFXIV Character

Arianna Harkness (Sargatanas)

Mostly FFXIV. Y'all should join us in the insanity.

Articles

I'm mostly on the hell site that is Twitter dot com these days, and I write for a USA Today sports site and work now that I'm finally out of school forever.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

OMG HI STRIDER <3
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Does it matter? We’re all just wasting time until our inevitable deaths. I for one wish it would hurry the smurf up.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I spend all of my time, free and otherwise, around games. Aside from my teaching commitments, I am also semi-recently getting into tabletop roleplaying games for the first time, and will be writing my own—about (possibly gay) witches—this coming summer. I am also starting on my first VR project with some colleagues, which will be an audio-narrative experience... that also, if you have vision, will include some dope proc-gen terrain based on the audio. It's kind of ambitious for my skill set but I have a good team to help mitigate the hardest parts. Otherwise, I lurk Facebook and Twitter and am on the board of directors of a charity.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

I found a job and an apartment, not that youse guys asked

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Sort answer: Math, Stack Overflow, Github, and other developer sites.

Long answer: I am writing and testing a class that teaches Calculus using Python scripting. I've been to a lot of meetings and written several proposals for the class. hit a snag when the provost of the college quit at the same time as the dean and vice dean, so I had to do all of it twice. But now the class is going well and my students are doing very well for themselves.

I'm also playing around a lot with a lot of machine learning toys. My favorite right now is TensorFlow through AWS because I get to use a cloud based GPU to do the heavy lifting for me when it comes to training models. It's really nice.

I also am working on a couple pet projects for mobile phones. The first is an AR game that can finally work now that Apple released a stable new build of AR kit. I have a working prototype that was overloading the phone but there are a lot of updates in v2 that make the game runnable. The second is a website that accesses your phones camera and gps. You put something like a sign in the camera and it will detect the text and translate it for you into your native language. Great for traveling to foreign countries to use.

I also am a co organizer of one of NYC's 2 Google Developer Groups, (we make events and bug google to send us swag and money. They give more often than you think) So I help plan the events and give talks about the stuff I make. It's a lot of fun.

I also play games for research.

FFXIV Character

Arianna Harkness (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by qwertysaur View Post
    Sort answer: Math, Stack Overflow, Github, and other developer sites.

Long answer: I am writing and testing a class that teaches Calculus using Python scripting. I've been to a lot of meetings and written several proposals for the class. hit a snag when the provost of the college quit at the same time as the dean and vice dean, so I had to do all of it twice. But now the class is going well and my students are doing very well for themselves.

I'm also playing around a lot with a lot of machine learning toys. My favorite right now is TensorFlow through AWS because I get to use a cloud based GPU to do the heavy lifting for me when it comes to training models. It's really nice.

I also am working on a couple pet projects for mobile phones. The first is an AR game that can finally work now that Apple released a stable new build of AR kit. I have a working prototype that was overloading the phone but there are a lot of updates in v2 that make the game runnable. The second is a website that accesses your phones camera and gps. You put something like a sign in the camera and it will detect the text and translate it for you into your native language. Great for traveling to foreign countries to use.

I also am a co organizer of one of NYC's 2 Google Developer Groups, (we make events and bug google to send us swag and money. They give more often than you think) So I help plan the events and give talks about the stuff I make. It's a lot of fun.

I also play games for research.
    You have an incredibly awesome job. So envious.