Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do People Still Play?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Do People Still Play?

Hey guys, so I got this game SUUUPER late to keep in touch with a friend from back home (I moved to Chicago last year).
    Do people here still play? This is the most into a Final Fantasy I've been since... well, it's been a while, and I'd love to run into any of you guys if I get the chance.
    Returners Represent!

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Quite a few people here still play. There's a content dry spell right now though. But everytime there's a new patch and content everyone comes back.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Cool, maybe I'll get a chance to catch up!
    Returners Represent!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

basically what vermachtnis said

it's pretty dead atm waiting for next patch, but a ton of people here still play
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I just recently started playing again, but I’m on a different server to play with people I know from work.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I think I would play a LOT more if this was free-to-play, but as is I'm back into WoW (have been for a while, actually) and I can't afford to fork out subscriptions to two MMOs lol. Sometimes I'll get back into it for free weekends or occasionally I'll resub for a bit if I know someone else who is playing and wants to play with me.

But yeah, I think a lot of people here still play it!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Whenever I log in there are usually around 5-10 people online in the FC, which is saying something because I really can't bring myself to log in often these days, there just isn't enough to grab me. I'll look forward to and play each patch but yeah.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I started playing a week ago. really enjoying it.

FFXIV Character

Arianna Harkness (Sargatanas)

Yep, and our FC is pretty active compared to many, especially since it's a bit of a slow period before 4.4 drops. Once it does on Tuesday, there will be a lot more people on again for a few weeks at least while everyone tries to clear Alphascape. The game is by no means dead, especially when compared to certain other ones (looking at you, SWtoR).

I jumped on this from the beginning. I really loved the game. But when the hours I played change, I see less friends and people I used to play with. I guess lately my interest has dwindled and I'm more playing single-player games with my wife. The only reason I log on is to keep my house at the moment. My sub just went out, so I'm really not sure what I'll do...

I guess part of me feels that the game lost its own identity when Stormblood was released. There's just an oversaturation of fan service, and not just from Final Fantasy but from Japanese pop culture / cross-promotions. I'm all for Japan celebrating it's own cultures, but as I said it kind of feel like the world starts to lose it's own identity.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Rostum View Post
    I jumped on this from the beginning. I really loved the game. But when the hours I played change, I see less friends and people I used to play with. I guess lately my interest has dwindled and I'm more playing single-player games with my wife. The only reason I log on is to keep my house at the moment. My sub just went out, so I'm really not sure what I'll do...

I guess part of me feels that the game lost its own identity when Stormblood was released. There's just an oversaturation of fan service, and not just from Final Fantasy but from Japanese pop culture / cross-promotions. I'm all for Japan celebrating it's own cultures, but as I said it kind of feel like the world starts to lose it's own identity.
    I honestly couldn't agree more. One complaint I've had all expansion is that it's too Eastern-themed. Every new glam, mount, minion, even the housing district is Eastern. And like, don't get me wrong. I like Eastern aesthetics, but I'd like something else too. Like, Ala Mhigo is meant to be Middle East/Greco-Egyptian, let's see some of that too.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

RIP
    My Sub To FFXIV
    30/09/2010 - 23/09/2018

I'll probably come back for expansions only, just because the story still interests me. But yeah, I just can't bring myself to do anything in the game anymore. Even the basic stuff like mini cactpots.

The best thing Yoshi-P ever did for FFXIV was to write about the future of the game, the direction they wanted to take, giving detailed plans on what part of the game was at what stage of planning/development, etc. The worst thing Yoshi-P ever did for FFXIV was to stop doing exactly that. He reinvented something, sure, but I feel like FFXIV needs that wee bit more change over time than he was offering. I also feel like there needed to be more incentive to move back into previous parts of the world. I personally think L70 content should exist, even if only sporadically, in 1.0 areas, for example. There are so many ways to encourage people to move around this amazing world but in the end it was just lacking enough to keep me going. It didn't help FFXIV that I found so much else to do in other games and offline activities.

But more than anything? I spent 8 years in an MMO, why wouldn't I be bored of it? I'd expect as much, to be honest. It had a superb shelf-life, all things considered.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

So who is the leader of the FC now?

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Xabie with her sticky wickets

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

OMG REALLY