Thread: Have you ever bought something after seeing an ad for it.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Have you ever bought something after seeing an ad for it.

I was watching a car commercial and wondered if anyone ran out to buy one afterwards. It's such a large investment I wonder if companies think they can sell you on it in 30 seconds.

This doesn't really work for me even on small objects like food. I've never seen a candy commercial and went out to buy the candy.

Interestingly this does work for shows, though. If someone shows me an interesting trailer I may set my dvr and give it a shot.

For the sake of the thread I'll overlook the long-term effects of advertisement and the way it may impact unconscious decisions. I'm just wondering if an ad ever had immediate impact on you?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I bought a witch hat after I got marketed one on instagram. So sometimes!

The point of car ads isn't to make you buy a car. Everyone "needs to" (not really, but that's another story) buy a car. Their goal is just to convince you that when you do, it's theirs.

FFXIV Character

Arianna Harkness (Sargatanas)

Mostly food. I'll see a commercial or ad for some new restaurant, and try it out. Cars, not so much. Of course, I've only ever bought one of them, so can't say much there. I think the purpose of ads there is just to get you to think about what you want your next vehicle to be. Now, with that being said, I do have a friend that did exactly that. He still regrets it, too.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I am a slave to food advertising. I hunger for whatever I see.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

i try to avoid advertising wherever I can, but its an impossible task. its very bizarre to take a long break from watching any advertising and then watching some live TV and seeing the ads. they're all so strange and ...wrong.

im guessing the best advertising isn't really in the advert itself, but when you later see the item in question and WANT it. maybe you dont even know why.

but yea, we're all suckers for advertising. i dont remember the last time i saw an ad and thought "i am going to buy that" so explicitly but i am 100% sure it happens all the time.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

They got Ryan Reynolds advertising some phone app that has me curious. Just because it's Ryan Reynolds, so they have to be paying him a trouttonne of money. Or he likes it. It doesn't look that fun, looks like all the over phone app like Candy Crush and Puzzle and Dragon. Speaking of phone apps, Nintendo has one I thought was a 3DS game. It caught my curiosity too.