Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jinx Liveblogs Harry Potter [NOT BLIND, THIS IS LIKE MY 10K READ, LET'S DISCUSS]

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart View Post

-Slytherins were the edge lords and romantics who just wanted the same house as Snape.
    -I've found Gryffindors to be the odd man out. No one wants to be Gryffindor because they think everyone else is Gryffindor.
    -Hufflepuffs are pretty good judge of character and if they think they should be in Hufflepuff they're probably right.
    -People can come at me if they want but Ravenclaw is by far the most overrated house. Way, way too many people sort themselves into Ravenclaw because they "like to read" or they feel like "the smart friend".
    -TRUE. Also people who enjoy being mean, tbh.
    -No one wants to be Gryffindor because they were the heroes in the main series. It's just another case of hating what's popular once it gets popular--if you'd asked me when I was a kid, being sorted into anything but Gryffindor, ESPECIALLY SLYTHERIN, would have sucked majorly. And then the fandom became something crazy with the popularity of the internet skyrocketing, and it wasn't cool anymore. It's basically the HP version of "I've never seen a single episode of Game of Thrones, and I'm super duper proud of that!". For what it's worth--I feel like Gryffindor is still my least favorite house, but that's because the traits really just do not apply to me at all. Perhaps being bold; god knows I'm not afraid to pop off.
    -I really love that Hufflepuff is getting more love since the series ended. They really do have the best traits and characteristics. Also I really just love the Pottermore crest for it and was super jelly when it came out because of how beautiful it was. Also, best name, fight me.
    -The irony being that Ravenclaw isn't really about being smart, per se, but rather pursuing knowledge and learning just for the sake of curiosity and expanding their minds. Luna Lovegood is maybe not a genius, but she has a lot of ideas about the world and is very creative and I don't know. Like, the way to get into Ravenclaw tower is deliberating and answering a philosophical or complex question, and if someone doesn't know the answer, they have to wait until someone come by who does. I love the imagery that sometimes entire groups of people will be locked out until they can discuss ideas and learn together.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    -No one wants to be Gryffindor because they were the heroes in the main series. It's just another case of hating what's popular once it gets popular--if you'd asked me when I was a kid, being sorted into anything but Gryffindor, ESPECIALLY SLYTHERIN, would have sucked majorly. And then the fandom became something crazy with the popularity of the internet skyrocketing, and it wasn't cool anymore. It's basically the HP version of "I've never seen a single episode of Game of Thrones, and I'm super duper proud of that!". For what it's worth--I feel like Gryffindor is still my least favorite house, but that's because the traits really just do not apply to me at all. Perhaps being bold; god knows I'm not afraid to pop off.
    I still have that childlike pro-Gryffindor feel. I mean, I know what I said earlier in this thread (it's really because I don't think of myself as brave) but as I read sections like the Quidditch matches, House Cup, etc. I'm still rooting for Gryffindor and all my favourite characters are in that house. I think bravery, especially in the aforementioned Ned Stark context, is the most admirable trait of the houses. For me, Neville is the most admirable and likeable character in the whole damn series and it's that quiet determination to stand up for what's right, against all his considerable disadvantages, that inspires me to try to be braver than I am.

Also I really like your Ravenclaw interpretation.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

That’s how I always viewed ravenclaw too.

I’m mostly indifferent about gryffindor. I always wanted to be in that house as a kid since the other houses didn’t seem as “cool” back then. I still root for them when I read the books just because that is the perspective we generally see, but even as a kid I always felt it a bit unfair how dumbledore liked to pull house points out of nowhere to have them just win the house cup. I always thought that despite being a great wizard, dumbledore was honestly a pretty terrible headmaster for a school.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Dumbledore is a pretty troutty human being all around, son. But that was a troutty thing to do to kids. ALSO IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE TO THE REST OF THE SCHOOL. UNLESS YOU TELL EVERYONE HE BATTLED OFF WITH VOLDEMORT IT WAS JUST TOMFOOLERY AND RULE BREAKING.

I will fight you to the death if you tell me Neville didn't deserve his 10 goddamn points, though.

Articles

Dumbledore is a pretty troutty human being all around, son.
    I disagree but maybe let's have this debate after you've read DH.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    When was the last time you read the series, just for reference?

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    When was the last time you read the series, just for reference?
    I wanna say like three years ago, so a little while. Whenever the Cursed Child script book came out. Although just before I went up to Edinburgh I went to the HP studio tour, binged all the movies and went on a HP wiki spiral, so I'm not in poor condition.

...you're kinda making me wanna re-read them too stop it

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

one of us one of us gooble gobble

Cursed Child came out in January (I think it was, def winter) of 2016, so 3 years would be about right.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I haven't even started my reread, yet, I've been too busy reading the FFVII comic we all loved in late 2012. I'll probably be done today, though.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Neville definitely deserved his points. I feel like he should have gotten more points.

Dumbledore may have done what he felt necessary for the good of the wizarding world or whatever, but doing his part to help save the world doesn’t really excuse all the crappy stuff he did. He is just painted in a favorable and heroic light do to his part in the story. It’s been too long since I’ve read the books to know for sure if I’d agree that he is a downright terrible person, but he at the very least should have been fired and probably been labeled a criminal for some of the stuff he did/allowed to happen at the school.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I agree on the Ravenclaw comments made and I say that as one of those a Ravenclaw.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

"Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much."

I can't tell you how glad I am that she abandoned this style of writing almost immediately with the following book.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

"which came in very useful"

that....needs an editor

Articles

"Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much."

I can't tell you how glad I am that she abandoned this style of writing almost immediately with the following book.
    Nawww, it's such a British middle class way of talking and that's exactly what they are.