Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jinx Liveblogs Harry Potter [NOT BLIND, THIS IS LIKE MY 10K READ, LET'S DISCUSS]

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default Jinx Liveblogs Harry Potter [NOT BLIND, THIS IS LIKE MY 10K READ, LET'S DISCUSS]

So it's been about 5 years since I last read the series (which, holy trout, where has time gone?) and last time I Facebook liveblogged my thoughts as I was going, and people really seemed to enjoy it. I know there are a bunch of fans here, so it might be fun to have discussions. Or I can just post into the void; I've never needed an audience to put on a show.

I'm excited to see how I interpret and enjoy the series at 27 as opposed to 22. It's always fun going back to it because of how much my life might change in the time frame of reading it (although, when the books were still being released, I reread the series about 3 or 4 times a year).
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Also, fun fact: the other night I was on Pottermore and got sorted in Hufflepuff. I've been sorted into both Slytherin and Hufflepuff equally over the years. And my Patronus was a badger, so like doublepuff. I'm embracing my Hufflepuff side these days, so I'll take. According to Our Lady of Wands, people like myself are Slytherpuffs and the rarest of house combinations.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yer a wizard, Harry.

Hufflepuff here too! Though about 5 years ago I was a Slytherin. Don't mind changing house at all, always thought that I was too dumb to be "cunning " "calculating " and "sneaky" anyways.

Always wanted to be Ravenclaw though...

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I always thought of myself as either a Ravenclaw or a Slytherin. In the end I figured I belonged best in Slytherin after I took pleasure in telling wannabe Ravenclaws who brag about their intelligence that they're too dumb to be in Ravenclaw. You all know one, you know what I'm talking about!

Anyway I took Pottermore for the first time ever a couple of weeks ago and I got... Gryffindor. I've never been so ashamed! I also think it's the least likely of the four houses for me as I'm a total coward. Roller coasters? Bungee jumping? Skydiving? No, no and no!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I've always more seen it more a determination and ambition. Self-preservation and resourcefulness are also listed as traits of Slytherin too.

I think this all why people who are Slytherins are the most easily corrupted. There's nothing inherently wrong with being determined, ambitious, or resourceful. In fact, in the right context they're admirable qualities. But if your intentions aren't good, those traits can become nefarious.

Looking at the traits, being split between Hufflepuff and Slytherin doesn't seem all that weird. You can't have determination and ambition without being hardworking, and you both are extremely loyal friends.

Interestingly, Ravenclaws are the only house for whom some sort of loyalty to friends isn't mentioned as important.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I always thought of myself as either a Ravenclaw or a Slytherin. In the end I figured I belonged best in Slytherin after I took pleasure in telling wannabe Ravenclaws who brag about their intelligence that they're too dumb to be in Ravenclaw. You all know one, you know what I'm talking about!

Anyway I took Pottermore for the first time ever a couple of weeks ago and I got... Gryffindor. I've never been so ashamed! I also think it's the least likely of the four houses for me as I'm a total coward. Roller coasters? Bungee jumping? Skydiving? No, no and no!
    After those riddles at that bar, I think it's p. safe to say Ravenclaw is probably out for you, my dude.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Hey hey HEY I got the eye one! Without me you'd have never have got your Shelob drink!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

okay tbf to you

yeast

lol

Gryffindor from memory was all about bravery and courage from memory ( correct me if I'm wrong Jinx )

Otherwise, Neville wouldn't have got into the house and Peter who are both giant wusses.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post

Gryffindor from memory was all about bravery and courage from memory ( correct me if I'm wrong Jinx )

Otherwise, Neville wouldn't have got into the house and Peter who are both giant wusses.
    Neville finds his courage, he just needed people to believe in him and a reason to push himself. Something something Ned Stark the only time a man is truly brave is when he's afraid.

But seriously, smurf Peter Pettigrew.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I’d consider joining reading you, but I’m already going through some other series I’ve been wanting to read for a while, and I hate stopping in the middle of a series unless I have to. I have been wanting to read these again though.

I was sorted into ravenclaw back when Pottermore first became a thing. I might have to see if that still holds true.

Fun fact: I really wanted to dress up as the sorting hat somehow at work, and every time we got a customer with red hair I would say “Ah, another Weasley I see. Gryffindor!” My coworkers vetoed the idea. They’ve decided they would rather do a fairy tale themed Halloween.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

THAT'S AN AMAZING COSTUME IDEA

I'm stealing it sometime

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Feel free to steal the idea. At least someone would get enjoyment out of it, haha.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm a Slytherin. I cheated to get sorted into Slytherin house and justified it by saying that was the type of thing a Slytherin would do anyway.

A couple things I picked up in high school I never shook off:

-Slytherins were the edge lords and romantics who just wanted the same house as Snape.
    -I've found Gryffindors to be the odd man out. No one wants to be Gryffindor because they think everyone else is Gryffindor.
    -Hufflepuffs are pretty good judge of character and if they think they should be in Hufflepuff they're probably right.
    -People can come at me if they want but Ravenclaw is by far the most overrated house. Way, way too many people sort themselves into Ravenclaw because they "like to read" or they feel like "the smart friend".

That was all tongue in cheek so if your nostrils are flaring could you not.
    Last edited by Lone Wolf Leonhart; 09-18-2018 at 05:10 AM.