Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jinx Liveblogs Harry Potter [NOT BLIND, THIS IS LIKE MY 10K READ, LET'S DISCUSS]

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

IT WAS JUST TOMFOOLERY
    Tomriddlery more like.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    "Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much."

I can't tell you how glad I am that she abandoned this style of writing almost immediately with the following book.
    Nawww, it's such a British middle class way of talking and that's exactly what they are.
    It's a troutty way of writing though. It comes off as extremely amateurish. Now granted, she WAS when she wrote this, but it really just...isn't good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

"It's lucky it's dark. I haven't blushed so much since Madame Pomfrey told me she liked my new earmuffs."

Y'all, Albus Dumbledore is on the scene.

"It's lucky it's dark. I haven't blushed so much since Madame Pomfrey told me she liked my new earmuffs."

Y'all, Albus Dumbledore is on the scene.
    I miss Book 1 and Book 2 Dumbledore. Later on, he becomes a douche.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ravenclaw here! I’m glad thats the House I got sorted to because blue is my favorite color

Also, I think I’m the only person in existence who actually vastly prefers Gambon’s Dumbledore to Harris’s. And that’s both in the books and the movies. I know he’s the same throughout the books but maybe kinda summed it up nice that we get a different perspective on him after book 2. Give me those morally gray, complicated mentors, rather than an infallible beardy dude you can just fall back on because adults appear to be infallible when you’re eleven.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

yeah I always get ravenclaw when I take tests. Which works out cause I love riddles and witty things make me chuckle and that's apparently what they're known for. And while I do find my self to be more courageous, not to the extent of Gryffindors. And While I find myself being a particularly good finder, not that good to be a hufflepuff.

Which comes to slytherin. I don't feel like I fit into it that well but I can be quite devious from time to time. Luckily Ravenclaw shares that with slytherin so that works out for me.

"Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much."

I can't tell you how glad I am that she abandoned this style of writing almost immediately with the following book.
    Nawww, it's such a British middle class way of talking and that's exactly what they are.
    It's a troutty way of writing though. It comes off as extremely amateurish. Now granted, she WAS when she wrote this, but it really just...isn't good.
    Ehhh It just reeks of british humor really. Very reminiscent of Douglas Adams

Ravenclaw here! I’m glad thats the House I got sorted to because blue is my favorite color

Also, I think I’m the only person in existence who actually vastly prefers Gambon’s Dumbledore to Harris’s. And that’s both in the books and the movies. I know he’s the same throughout the books but maybe kinda summed it up nice that we get a different perspective on him after book 2. Give me those morally gray, complicated mentors, rather than an infallible beardy dude you can just fall back on because adults appear to be infallible when you’re eleven.
    Is Gambon Dumbledore the " DID YOU PUT YOUR NAME IN THE GOBLET OF FIRE 'ARRY ?" one ?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

And I hate how people keep bringing it up that scene because that scene is interpreted differently, as it’s an adaptation not a 1 to 1 translation from book to screen and the book shouldn’t be treated like a script

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I'm with Fynn, I prefer Gambon Dumbledore. Harris Dumbledore just lacked that little spark of life (oh god I'm so sorry) that sets him out from the crowd.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm with Fynn, I prefer Gambon Dumbledore. Harris Dumbledore just lacked that little spark of life (oh god I'm so sorry) that sets him out from the crowd.
    I think Harrisdore captured the whimsical side of Dumbledore better, and I think Gambondore captured the powerful side of Dumbledore better. I also think that probably if the man hadn't been dying from cancer, he would've been much more vibrant.

I think Harrisdore definitely looked more like the Dumbledore in my head, though.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I also think it's somewhat unfair to compare the two simply because we got 2 movies with Harris, and we got 6 with Gambon.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

That's fair and I don't disagree with any of that. Say something controversial I can fight you over, like movie Ginny > book Ginny.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Okay, but

Movie Luna > Book Luna

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Colonic irrigation > Movie Ginny