Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Filling a void

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I miss 3D mascot platformers (Ratchet & Clank, Klonoa, Sly Cooper, Crash, etc). With the exception of remakes/remasters of the old stuff I can't recall the last time new one that was really great came out.

I also miss fighting games. I mean they're there, but I find them hard to jump into these days. I think SoulCalibur IV was the last one I played for for months on end rather than playing for an hour or so before deciding it wasn't my cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Firefly the game. I used to dream the series would continue on via Telltale Games. The original cast voice would play all their respective characters and there would be like twenty games/seasons.

The Ron Glass died and ruined everything.
    Have you tried a game called Rebel Galaxy? (Not to be confused with Rogue Galaxy). It's a simple space sim, but the rust-bucket, outer planets atmosphere, with the ability to smuggle and try to be unseen and make a name for yourself at the same time. As well as the old school naval combat (as opposed to old school western combat of the show) along with the rusty western music made a LOT of people feel like they were living their own Firefly story. Might be worth a look if you haven't already

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    It was: Dragon Quest, and nothing to fill it.

Now? I don't know. I would still kill someone for a sequel to The Talos Principle and I've played through a bunch of puzzle games since I finished it to try to recapture it, so maybe that, even though it's not so old still.
    Nothing wrong with craving newer good stuff. Like mine being Saints Row, may be a little older but not that old

As far as really old stuff, I'm always looking for the next Shining Force, but that's never going to happen. I've found ONE tactical RPG that lets you roam around and explore towns and the world outside of tactical combat, and it was some random old fan translated Japanese-only SNES game. I used to take issue with developers making something first person without the option for third person to be lazy programming because they didn't want to model a character and animate it. I've gotten over that ideal, but I still feel like making a tactical RPG with no ability to play it as an RPG to be lazy programming. Having a static town or map based solely on menus is extremely boring and short sighted. And even though combat will usually scale as superior to Shining Force, I tend to always find the over-all experience lacking simply due to the visual novel aspect of most tactical RPGs. I love a good strategy battle, but I want to stretch my legs afterwards, and no other developer wants to allow that

I guess I could also throw out that I think Elder Scrolls Oblivion had a more profound impact on me than Skyrim, even though Skyrim is definitely the better designed game, there was always an itch for a more deep and convoluted mechanic that Oblivion wasn't afraid to offer. Skyrim was almost too streamlined. But then Kingdom Come Deliverance came along and it was like Oblivion without the fantasy. Or character creation. But in almost every other aspect, it was straight up Oblivion. Convoluted and hard, until you got to a point where you knew what you were doing and your character was capable of doing it and then it got stupidly easy, just like Oblivion. You could break the system in half

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    I miss 3D mascot platformers (Ratchet & Clank, Klonoa, Sly Cooper, Crash, etc). With the exception of remakes/remasters of the old stuff I can't recall the last time new one that was really great came out.

I also miss fighting games. I mean they're there, but I find them hard to jump into these days. I think SoulCalibur IV was the last one I played for for months on end rather than playing for an hour or so before deciding it wasn't my cup of tea.
    Soul Calibur VI looks to be a return to form, having an actual story mode or two. Here's hoping it's as entertaining as SC3's Chronicles of the Sword

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post

As far as really old stuff, I'm always looking for the next Shining Force, but that's never going to happen. I've found ONE tactical RPG that lets you roam around and explore towns and the world outside of tactical combat, and it was some random old fan translated Japanese-only SNES game. I used to take issue with developers making something first person without the option for third person to be lazy programming because they didn't want to model a character and animate it. I've gotten over that ideal, but I still feel like making a tactical RPG with no ability to play it as an RPG to be lazy programming. Having a static town or map based solely on menus is extremely boring and short sighted. And even though combat will usually scale as superior to Shining Force, I tend to always find the over-all experience lacking simply due to the visual novel aspect of most tactical RPGs. I love a good strategy battle, but I want to stretch my legs afterwards, and no other developer wants to allow that
    I keep telling you man, Arc the Lad.