Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filling a void

Default Filling a void

What franchise or game type is absent in your life that really gives you an itch? And what, if anything, are you using to fill that void?

For me Spiderman a s surprisingly filling in my sandbox void. Since i can't get into GTA games, and the last good non-Saints Row city shenanigans game I enjoyed was Sleeping Dogs, and neither of them have Bright futures in gaming, and either way they are both years old. Nothing has scratched that itch in a while. But now Spiderman is. Which i originally had no intention of buying. Not a big super hero fan, especially their games... Good job on Insomniac, the game is better than expected and probably better than it has a right to be

Anyone else missing a franchise or genre and finding odd ways to scratch the itch?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Initially Kingdom Hearts was one for Mana/Seiken Densetsu for me. Honestly, I think MegaTen pretty much took over the void left by FF and Pokemon.

Articles
    Blog Entries

At some point you just gotta learn to live with it I guess. I doubt I'll ever find anything remotely resembling Umineko ever again, but I don't have to. I'm content trying to find entirely different things to develop a passion for. There's still so much great art to learn to love out there.

It was: Dragon Quest, and nothing to fill it.

Now? I don't know. I would still kill someone for a sequel to The Talos Principle and I've played through a bunch of puzzle games since I finished it to try to recapture it, so maybe that, even though it's not so old still.

Still don't have a Romancing SaGa 3 replacement -- Legend of Legacy was an decent attempt, but there are too many annoying elements to it and it just lacks that feeling of progress.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Firefly the game. I used to dream the series would continue on via Telltale Games. The original cast voice would play all their respective characters and there would be like twenty games/seasons.

The Ron Glass died and ruined everything.

FFXIV Character

Arianna Harkness (Sargatanas)

Grandia. Would pay a lot of money for an actually good Grandia sequel. Seriously, please. I need more Justin and Feena in my life. Or maybe Sue has her own adventures. Anything.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Chibi Youkai View Post
    Grandia. Would pay a lot of money for an actually good Grandia sequel. Seriously, please. I need more Justin and Feena in my life. Or maybe Sue has her own adventures. Anything.
    Would an HD Remaster of the first two entries on the Switch do?

FFXIV Character

Arianna Harkness (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chibi Youkai View Post
    Would an HD Remaster of the first two entries on the Switch do?
    Well... holy crap. Yes, that would do quite nicely. Thank you so much for the head's up, you've literally just made my day.

Hmm, actually, LucasArts style games in the Secret of Monkey Island style. Not the 3D later sequels; there's plenty of that around. Games like Thimbleweed Park, except more than just one.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Not really. I was gonna stay Baldur’s Gate style WRPGs, but now with Pillars of Eternity and other similar projects they’re having a kind of renaissance. I’d say old school JRPGs but those are also having a thing now, and Dragon Quest is always there to scratch that itch.

Also, at this point, I’m less looking for ways to scratch an itch and more looking for ways to just work through my backlog ASAP because I want focus on things other than games for now!

Collectible Card Games (CCGs). I was big into Yugioh for a large part of my life (HAT format being my favorite) until pendulums came out and ruined everything. Unfortunately the only older format anybody plays is goats, which was before my time. Dueling Network got closed down shortly after, killing the community I interacted with. I've tried several other CCGs in an attempt to scratch the itch (Hearthstone, Shadowverse, etc.) but none of them have really done it for me. It's kind of a dream of mine to make a card game of my own that resembles Yugioh before everything got ruined for me. Unfortunately I have zero programming experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarisa View Post
    Collectible Card Games (CCGs). I was big into Yugioh for a large part of my life (HAT format being my favorite) until pendulums came out and ruined everything. Unfortunately the only older format anybody plays is goats, which was before my time. Dueling Network got closed down shortly after, killing the community I interacted with. I've tried several other CCGs in an attempt to scratch the itch (Hearthstone, Shadowverse, etc.) but none of them have really done it for me. It's kind of a dream of mine to make a card game of my own that resembles Yugioh before everything got ruined for me. Unfortunately I have zero programming experience.
    Well you didn't mention the best CCG (MTG, which now has Arena available, although I haven't tried it), and the highly anticipated Artifact is also coming out soon and people who are in the beta seem to like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    Well you didn't mention the best CCG (MTG, which now has Arena available, although I haven't tried it), and the highly anticipated Artifact is also coming out soon and people who are in the beta seem to like that.
    I briefly tried Magic way back when and still have a few decks collecting dust, but it just wasn't for me. I was really turned off by the fact that the majority of cards were literally banned for being too old, and I left hearthstone and shadowverse when they introduced their standard formats that did the same thing. (In yugioh you can use pretty much every card since the beginning of time, with some exceptions for those that got too powerful.) I know magic has a format like this, but since it's not the "main" one I couldn't bring myself to care about it. (My brother told me it's not much fun anyway from when he played it; it's apparently too easy to make something incredibly OP.) I just wish companies would stop power creeping their games and feeling the need to spit out new cards every other month; if the game is fun and balanced I would be perfectly fine playing with the same card set for a whole year.

I know you said you weren't interested in the non 'main' MTG formats, but you might consider looking into the Commander format all the same; it is an extremely popular non-rotating side format that Wizard's themselves officially support with unique sets and cards, and cripplingly OP decks, while still around of course, are much less of a problem due to the singleton deck requirements. You can check out a well produced game here if you are interested.

That said, I used to agree with set rotation being extremely annoying, so I know where you are coming from with that, but I've been playing for almost two years now and I've kind of seen the opposite, at least in the case of Magic, to be true: sets lingering in standard for too long causes more problems than them leaving. It is difficult to introduce new and interesting mechanics into the game when everyone just wants the most powerful cards, and it kills off an otherwise potentially diverse metagame when things people deem powerful are around. Kaladesh, for example, was two years old when it rotated out a few weeks back, but it basically defined standard for the whole time it was there and severely limited what kinds of decks you would see at your LGS. People want to win, and most care more about the result than the journey and will always take the quickest route there.