Thread: Halloween Gaming 2018 Edition

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Braaaaaains Halloween Gaming 2018 Edition

As many of you know, I like to play creepy horror games in October. Last year I tackled Silent Hill 1 and attempted SH3 as well. So what should I play this year? On my docket are the following:

Silent Hill 3 - Finally reached Silent Hill after taking the craziest detour home ever. I'll admit, I'm not feeling this game, but I'm also not terribly far from the end either.

Silent Hill 4 - Have never gotten far in this one without getting distracted.

Fatal Frame - I attempted this game a few years back but never finished it. Would likely restart it if I played it.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent - Been on my Steam list for like eternity. Heard some good things and I'm a sucker for Lovecraftian stuff.

Have a different suggestion?

Also, for those willing to join with me, what will you be playing this Halloween?

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Fatal Frame is easily the most unsettled I've ever felt playing a game. Been thinking about picking up the one of the WiiU.

I will be playing Alien: Isolation. I've been meaning to forever, but I'm not good with those kind of games.

FFXIV Character

Arianna Harkness (Sargatanas)

Second on Fatal Frame. That game is just awesome.

SNES Clocktower?

Sonic 06.

It's pure horror.

I'm not really big into horror so most games I've played in the genre tend to be on the milder side, but if you want psychological horror then Serena is pretty good. It's a point and click horror game about a man in a cabin in the woods trying to find his missing wife. The game progresses by examining various objects, which allows you to recall more memories to progress the story along. Gameplay takes about 2 hours, but unfortunately there is no save feature so it must all be done in one sitting. There is a way to toggle all interactable objects if you get stuck, and the ending really throws you for a loop. It's available for free on steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/272060/Serena/

Other horror games I'd recommend include The Letter (really good game, but not terribly scary despite the premise) Betrayer (I still need to finish this...I keep getting killed by skeleton hordes though) and Sound of Drop (the visuals in this game are BEAUTIFUL). I think I'll scare myself by trying to finish up Betrayer on Halloween.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think my choice is to finish up Silent Hill 3 since I'm close to the end, and then I'll restart Fatal Frame.

Try Stubbs the Zombie, no one loves that game enough.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

I vote that you play Luigis mansion.
    Literally the second scariest game behind Project Zero (Fatal Frame)

FFXIV Character

I've started Alien: Isolation. I'm way out of my comfort zone. I'm claustrophobic in real life and there's already been a lot of tight spaces in the game and I've just finished Mission 2. Speaking of which I love the buildup. It's awhile before anything happens. I've avoided everything about this game too, so I have no idea what to expect.

...oohhh I envy you. Not only experiencing it for the first time (a fantastic game in general but also a fantastic horror experience), but also being bothered by multiple aspects of the game (which I'm sure was their intention). Try not to have a heart attack on us

FFXIV Character

A side effect of that is that I'm probably playing more aggressive than I should. I just finished Mission 5, which is one big game of cat and mouse with the Alien and one of the first things I did when I saw it drop down was through a noise maker at it. I was hoping it would distract it and I could do my thing. Nope, it turned around and looked at me before lunging. I'll still take it over those androids.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Quote Originally Posted by Vermachtnis View Post
    A side effect of that is that I'm probably playing more aggressive than I should. I just finished Mission 5, which is one big game of cat and mouse with the Alien and one of the first things I did when I saw it drop down was through a noise maker at it. I was hoping it would distract it and I could do my thing. Nope, it turned around and looked at me before lunging. I'll still take it over those androids.
    Why are you scared of the androids? You always know, a working joe!

FFXIV Character

The Working Joes are deep in the uncanny valley.

The (SPOILER)Escape from Gemini Labs at the end of Mission 10 made me nauseous. The ground was shaking and the background was spinning. I had to take a break after that to settle my stomach. The last time a game made me sick like that was Metroid Prime.
    Last edited by Vermachtnis; 10-22-2018 at 01:13 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries