Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not Into KH Anymore ?

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Call me strange. I replayed all of them a few months back and I....freaking loved it. Even today they're just so much fun to play, no nostalgia required. I can't wait for KHIII.

The story is balls to the walls insane, incoherent and stupid, to the point that it is a guilty pleasure of mine, where I actually look forward to see just how much more absurd, ridiculous, and schizophrenic Nomura can make it. Any hope of it being redeemed was lost with KH3D and I'm just fine with that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

There’s also a difference between not acknowledging a thing’s flaws and not mentioning a thing’s flaws every time you talk about something. Like, KH is one of my favorite series of all time and of smurfing course it’s flwef because everything is, but when I talk to people about it in whatever context, I don’t need to interject every sentence with an acknowledgment of any game’s flaws. I’m aware of them, and so is the other speaker (and we may well disagree on what these flaws are), but until the topic veers into that territory, we probably won’t mention it.

You don’t have to think a thing is flawless in order to enjoy it - nor do you need nostalgia to like it despite its flaws just because the flaws make it impossible for some people to stomach. We all have different tastes, and it being just nostalgia and nothing else is ver rarely the case.

I mean, this is a topic about the game's flaws or about not liking it anymore or whatever, so you'd pretty much expect the flaws to come up. The only "flaw" I usually bring up when the topic of KHIII comes around is that I'm pissed they still haven't put Darkwing Duck in this series.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Golbez View Post
    I mean, this is a topic about the game's flaws or about not liking it anymore or whatever, so you'd pretty much expect the flaws to come up. The only "flaw" I usually bring up when the topic of KHIII comes around is that I'm pissed they still haven't put Darkwing Duck in this series.
    This and Duck Tales.

1987 or the newer one idc.

I'm with Golbez, I think I was too old when it came out to really get invested. It was hard to take Donald and Goofy seriously as an adult. And the fact that you really just ran around and whacked stuff didn't really help endear it to me. So thankfully I didn't really get into it as a series, and I had trouble seeing why anyone did. It was like Pokemon to me, such a one-note thing, and I seemed to be the only one at the time who didn't enjoy that note. Nostalgia really could have saved that idea for me if they had used things like Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck, Gummi Bears, or Tale Spin. Stuff that I actually enjoyed as a child. Mickey, Donald, Goofy were staples of Disney but they were never characters I actually cared about. They were just fluff inserts for stories, they never had their own stories. Aside from maybe Goof Troop, which, if Max and PJ were in the game I may have also been more invested

So I guess the meandering plot and nonsense release schedule are the least of my worries in trying to get into the series. I don't go around pissing in people's soups over Pokemon though, and it's not something I feel compelled to do with Kingdom Hearts either. I have a similar problem with Dissidia as well. Which just seems like some hodge-podge fanfiction schlock where you throw in every character you loved as a child and try to make sense of it. Plots like that will rarely make enough sense to satisfy me. But people like it and that's okay. I'll just leave well enough alone

I guess the main thing for me would be that I wish Kingdom Hearts had succeeded in different ways and helped create a renaissance of nostalgia, and I could have compelling new stories with my favorite childhood shows. But that didn't happen. Each new entry just embraced newer and newer stuff. So I find that sad as a lost potential

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    I'm with Golbez, I think I was too old when it came out to really get invested. It was hard to take Donald and Goofy seriously as an adult.l
    That's interesting because I think I like Donald and Goofy even more than I did when I was a child. They are just so wild. Donald is pretty relatable too, or as the kids say these days " a mood ".

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

This topic made me go back and plat Kingdom Hearts. And the Unchanging Armor trophy is the worst.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Not that this excuses it, but the completely unrelatable, convoluted plot issue, or the issue of needing to access several forms of media/platforms to get the whole story seems to be a theme across a few modern Square-Enix games.

I still can't relate to FF13's story. I just think it's dumb.

The way they delivered FF15's story across several different platforms, and then delivered an incomplete game storywise upon release was really off-putting to me.

Are there other examples? I think the latest Star Ocean's story was fairly normal, it's just that the game had a development budget of about $600 dollars because FF15 MUST be a success.

EDIT: Also, yes, I haven't been into a KH since the first one. Sorry Square. I can take a lot of crappiness in a game if I'm really into where the story is going. KH 2's gameplay was better, but I'm not huge on 3D action RPG's really, and the story was dumb. Obfuscation isn't automatically clever.
    Last edited by sharkythesharkdogg; 10-18-2018 at 07:06 PM. Reason: typo time

I agree with pretty much everything you said. Honestly I just find it hard to care about KH anymore after it's been milked for so long. It wouldn't be so bad if each game was its own individual story, like with the Final Fantasy series, but tying everything into one overarching narrative then spreading it across so many games on so many different platforms just makes it that much harder to get into. Don't get me started on how utterly inane the story and dialogue are and always have been. That being said the games always had fun and challenging gameplay, with the only exception being 358/2 Days. And I'm still looking forward to KH3, if only for the Pixar worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
    Not that this excuses it, but the completely unrelatable, convoluted plot issue, or the issue of needing to access several forms of media/platforms to get the whole story seems to be a theme across a few modern Square-Enix games.

I still can't relate to FF13's story. I just think it's dumb.
    You have a point. Though you don't have to play Final Fantasy VI- then Final Fantasy VI Card Game- then Final Fantasy VI : 2 World Of Ruin- Final Fantasy VI : Terra's parents adventure
    Final Fantasy VI : DS Final Fantasy VI : 3DS and Final Fantasy VI : Cellphone game

To understand what the heck is going on.