Thread: Resident Evil vs. Silent Hill

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Braaaaaains Resident Evil vs. Silent Hill

So these two games are often seen as the heart of the horror genre from the PS1 era onward. Which series do you prefer and why?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Always Silent Hill. I’m much more into the subtleties of psychological horror rather than... whatever RE does

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Silent Hill's better at horror, but I prefer Resident Evil, I find it more fun/entertaining. I guess the gameplay's just more my style.

I'm not sure Resident Evil can even be considered the same series as Resident Evil, before and after RE4.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Silent Hill. It's close though. Silent Hill is way more atmospheric. But Resident Evil is like a good B-movie horror game. And it gave us this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    I'm not sure Resident Evil can even be considered the same series as Resident Evil, before and after RE4.
    I haven't played it, but VII apparently brings the spooks.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Always Silent Hill. Although I still appreciate resident evil.

Silent Hill does horror better but I enjoy playing Resident Evil more, so I guess I'm going with RE here.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Silent Hill did the horror better and was certainly much better from a story point of view. Well, if we forget everything that came after 4.

Resident Evil is more like a B-movie, but that's what gave it it's charm up until around Code Veronica when it just went off the rails.

Thankfully it came back on in force with Resident Evil 7. Just hoping Silent Hill has a similar renaissance moment, but given it's a Konami franchise, I doubt it at this point.

If I had to choose I'd say Resident Evil purely because I played more of them.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Vermachtnis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    I haven't played it, but VII apparently brings the spooks.
    From what I've heard yes. I need to get around to playing that soon. Though from what I know of it it also sounds a lot different than any of the other stuff before and after 4 so we may have yet another division in the series.

I'm with the general consensus that Silent Hill is obviously better horror and story, but I could never get into them as games. I've tried a couple of them, and maybe they weren't great examples (SH3 and whatever that was on the Wii), but I've had far better luck getting into Resident Evil games. Even if they aren't scary, the campy charm keeps me in. Though I didn't really like RE4, I did like 5, and like most other people I didn't like 6. And 7 was a totally different game, so I'll agree its probably going to be a dividing point. But I love the story and atmosphere and themes and things in Silent Hill, and wish I could have experienced that kind of thing in a video game. I have a feeling it would have been a formative experience, especially at a young age when they first came out. I'm always looking for games like that. And now having watched people play the demo of Visage, I think a game with a similar theme has finally appeared. Obviously inspired by P.T. and Allison Road, it has that grainy surreal first person view and brings horror in tense subtlety rather than weird schlock and jump-scares. It's in early access but you get to play through the first chapter, and it's easily a good enough game on its own for anyone looking for that sort of thing this Halloween season